Building Strength, Losing Weight, No Hypertrophy

Chris Colucci, maybe repost your calisthenics routine?

Master Windu, I think no one should do a bench press without being able to do some basic calisthenics first. Do push ups on your knees and bodyweight squats - 2 max sets each, every morning. Do this for a month and you’ll be surprised. The beautiful thing about strength is that it comes quickly when you’re just starting out.

[quote]Master Windu wrote:
hi,

im trying to get back into training again but i have a few goals. these goals are.

-to increase absolute strength
-to build minimal hypertrophy
to lose stomach fat

i have been thinking of using the westside template because its the most efficient for continous gain without plateau. that said westide seems to develop a considerable amount of hypertrophy. is there a way to modify this program to cut out the excess hypertrophy and focus more on developing absolute strength and leaness.

Thanks[/quote]

You may be over thinking this a bit. As a relative newbie myself I can relate, there is a ton of info out there. I really wouldn’t worry about plateauing, if you get to that point then pretty much mission accomplished…

I’ve been lifting seriously for about 8 months(before that did some circuit training, cardio bullshit for a few months… waste of time). I started out fat and weak as hell but I’ve seen my lifts go up at least 50% across the board, still fat though lol. Stronglifts 5x5 worked really well for me (mainly because they have an app that simplifies/manages things a lot and I’m lazy) you can start really light but it will have you lifting a lot much sooner than you thought you could.

If you stall a few times then you back off some weight and then work your way back up, that will eliminate plateaus for the most part. Starting Strength is very similar and I would definitely recommend picking that book up, no matter what program you do, for the amazing descriptions of proper form. They use linear progression, meaning you will add weight every workout, once you really can’t keep up with it you switch to periodization like Wendler’s 5-3-1 / Texas Method.

Until you get to that point I wouldn’t even worry about hypertrophy or doing any particular exercises to specifically target fat loss, just eat healthy (greenfaces, 100 gram carb rule, common sense. whatever works for you) and lift. Getting strong is going to be the best place to start to accomplish any set of goals.

[quote]Master Windu wrote:
I mean sometimes simple tasks seems big to me. so i am quite skinny but my gut is slightly large. fat is important from an aesthetic point of view. but in all i would pick strength first because my overall strength levels are appalling for a man.[/quote]
Gotcha. Focusing on one thing will have some carryover to other stuff you’re looking to get done. But by having just one target to aim at (for now), it helps get the rest of the plan in place.

For training, a simple, basic strength-focused program like 5/3/1 should get you on track:

After a month of so, you could begin Waterbury’s PLP Challenge to get right back into bodyweight work:

If you follow it exactly as-written, it should be fine to do everyday (like it says) in addition to your regular lifting.

For nutrition, this article is a pretty simple, step by step guide to figuring out a fat loss diet:

It’s nothing drastic and it should still give you plenty of fuel to see strength gains. Be sure to have a workout shake like Surge Recovery or Anaconda when you train, though.

I forgot to ask earlier, why are you also focused on avoiding hypertrophy? Do you have some reason to stay under a certain bodyweight? Or is it just that you’re not trying to “look like a bodybuilder” or whatever? Everyone’s goal are their own thing, and that’s fine, but I’m just trying to understand what’s what.

I have no idea what this means. Are you talking like a deadlift? Or a dumbbell chest press (using two 25-pound dumbbells) for a few reps? What do you mean “adding the weight of the actual bench”? I’m baffled. Baffled, I say.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Chris Colucci, maybe repost your calisthenics routine?[/quote]
This is my go-to usually for younger lifters or deconditioned folks looking to get back into training from a major layoff. It could be worth a shot for a little while, depending on when the guy was in the gym last.

Mon., Wed., and Fri.
Squat 2x15 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor.)
Push-up 2x15 (On your toes, go until the chest almost touches the floor.)
Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right.)
Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (assisted if necessary. Could be substituted with inverted rows.)
Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes, arms straight, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15.)
Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

Knee push-ups are one way to regress the exercise and make it easier, but because it changes the leverage so significantly, I usually prefer to keep the body straight (straight line from the neck to the ankles) and elevate the hands onto a bench/step/wall to decrease the percent of bodyweight lifted.