Building Strength in 6-10 Rep Range for Aesthetics?

Hi guys, I’m a non competitive (amateur) bodybuilder just looking to look big and good.
I also don’t have much time to train due to working an ungodly number of hours everyday, and still wanting to spend some time with my gf.

Do you believe that if i focus on getting stronger in the 6-10 rep range (i’m not very small but still quite weak) on

• Bench Press
  • Military Press
  • Barbell Row
  • Chin Ups
  • Squats
  • Trap Bar Deadlifts

while adding here and there a few sets of curls and pushdowns can be decent (hypertrophy/aesthetic wise)?

So a guy going to the gym? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you can choose better exercises for your goals but if you like them then getting stronger in those movements should put on some mass for you.

4 Likes

Yeah, actually ahaha, just wanted to say that my goal is aesthetics, not strenght per se…
Anyway, i forgot to say i train in a home gym (racks, barbells, dumbells… that kind of things)

I firmly believe that front squats are better than back squats for most goals. I also firmly believe RDLs are better than TBDLs and normal deadlifts for aesthetics.

Otherwise, your programming approach is sound

4 Likes

RDLs for lower body, conventional deadlifts for upper body :stuck_out_tongue:

This monday I only did front squats and deadlifts (RPE 10) and my lats are still sore like I’d do a hundred pull-ups (not mentioning the rest of the back…)

2 Likes

Yes, endeavoring to get stronger in the 6-10 rep range is a solid strategy for getting bigger and more muscular.

3 Likes

Is it.optimal though?

2 Likes

I don’t compete and I have limited time to train and I’m still weak. If it’s efficient that’s all I need… Even though it might be not optimal.

But if under the same circumstances (no competitive goals, limited time, limited equipment etc) there are some better ways ti accomplish my goals I’ll be happy to hear everyone :slight_smile: @dagill2

1 Like

You seem to have a good attitude there. Don’t let me clutter your legitimate thread up with my stupid jokes.

2 Likes

Have you spent much time working on those lifts before? Did your muscles grow in an aestheticaly pleasing way?

Some people love the Big barbell lifts and respond well to them. Other people don’t get much out of them and like them so much.

No, I haven’t trained them long enough, in a progressive way, so much to establish that. It just appeared to me that general consensus is at least, to start from them, and then you can use some slight variations depending on what you need (dips or incline press in place of bench press, Rdl or SLDL in place of Deadlifts, Seated barbell press or dumbell press in place of standing military press etc…)

It looks to me that I should at least progress those exercises for 6 months or so, and see what’s lacking, and adjust exercise selection based on feedbacks.

But again, I’m open to hear any advice @FlatsFarmer

Could you put some concrete numbers to these, just for context.

Generally speaking, bodybuilders have built aesthetic physiques predominantly getting stronger in the 8-12 rep range, so yeah, 6-10 will work just fine.

Spend a little time working above and below that range to hit a wider variety of muscle fibers, either with month-long phases or sprinkled throughout the 6-10 work, and you’ll be golden.

A bit of exercise variety would be beneficial, too, since your leverages will eventually limit your development with a limited menu of barbell exercises.

I’d like but, as I said I haven’t trained those exercises long enough to put some concrete numbers.

Anyway if we put as a baseline of decent strenght (in a completely arbitrary way, so please don’t blame me for that) 2 plates bench, 3 plates squats, 4 plates deads, 12 reps pullups (and even though i never tested my 1 rms on those lifts since I don’t care) I’m surely below those numbers

Expecially since not being able to train for a couple of months or so due to having 2 cracked ribs recently

What about the ‘I’m not very small’ part.

Current weight and general bodyfat guesstimate/description?

Had a chance to double-check your posts, and you’ve been saying this exact thing for two straight years, while getting tons of advice along the way.

Training programs aren’t your issue, consistency is. I can definitely understand calling a mulligan on 2020 with COVID screwing things up, and your recent rib issue is another legit obstacle. But, dude re-read the stuff you’ve already heard and then stick to it 3 days a week for the next 16 weeks.

1 Like

Not that you’re completely wrong, but i find this a bit out of context, because you’re assuming that you know much more things than you actually do. Hope you’re not trying to be defiant.

I’ve been not training for a year straight during lockdown, then I’ve been training on and off for a long time due to having other priorities (studying and working many and many hours daily), and yeah, recently I have been injuried.

My last period of training consistently was in the late 2019 and no wonder i got WORSE during that period, and that’s OBVIOUSLY about consistency. But back than I had already been training consistently for about 4 year , so if you assume that i lack will of power, or consistency per se, you’re (at least partially) and if you assume that consistency is the ONLY issue you’re wrong again, because that does not exclude the possibility to use a decent training program or a decent

BUT that doesn’t means anything to me because i love training and i love muscles. I kept on reading and studying and following many top coaches which led me to a new level of consciousness about training, about the many mistakes i made in the past (program hopping, training in far more advanced and fancy fashion than i needed, not eating enough to pack on size or eating so much that i ended very fat).

And I’m about to start with a fresh mindset, that is why maybe it would be better for all of us to stick to what’s in the post, rather than looking at what i’ve written 1 or 2 years ago.

Anyway thanks for the advice

I don’t think he was saying you suck or aren’t disciplined or whatever. In fact, he specifically said your reasons for laying off were legitimate. He was just saying we’ve got to nail the consistency before we can see where adjustments will take us. It’s hard to say “where do I turn?” when we’re not yet on the road, you know?

3 Likes

In that case I’m sorry.
But I can’t see a single reason why I shouldn’t ask for advice about HOW to train WHILE I’m starting back

Akin to the question "What did you eat last night?, what was your most recent session, and when?

2 Likes

I’m assuming nothing. I’m replying based on the information you’ve given, while working around the information you keep sidestepping (like your current shape or specific lifting numbers).

Okay. I was confused because 8 months ago, on Christmas Eve of 2020, you talked about restarting training and you got a bunch of advice to get back into a routine. I guess I did assume you actually started training at that point.

Because you’ve asked slight variations of that question multiple times, have received dozens and dozens and dozens of replies from very experienced lifters, but haven’t actually put it into action for some valid and some invalid reasons.

I stand by my suggestion of re-reading the advice you’ve already gotten (which is still absolutely relevant and just as useful now as it was when it was first offered), and then following through. String together 4 months of uninterrupted training and watch what happens.

3 Likes

Check your Defiance, bro!

2 Likes