T Nation

Building Squat Stands

I am making my own, since I train at home. I am going to weld a length of steel pipe on top of a tire rim, and put a fork on top of the pipe to hold the bar.
I’ll make 2 of these.

Would that base be stable enough?

We need a diagram. Hey whatever works, just make sure its not fucking up your form.

This is the same setup I’ve seen in pics of early powerlifting contests. I’m sure it’s strong enough but not so sure of its stability. I’d build some safety catches while I was at it.

This is what I mean.

looks pretty solid. I would only be worried how sturdy it was, if I were you. Good luck building it.

I’ve squatted out of this setup before and it is ok, however you should take care when reracking the bar when using heavy weights, you can’t slam the bar into the forks like you would on a rack, as it will knock the stands over. It would probably be better if the wheels were bolted to the floor.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
I’ve squatted out of this setup before and it is ok, however you should take care when reracking the bar when using heavy weights, you can’t slam the bar into the forks like you would on a rack, as it will knock the stands over. It would probably be better if the wheels were bolted to the floor. [/quote]

Maybe I can place some concrete bricks on and around the rim?

I am not sure I would trust it.
I too think it needs to be secured by bolting it too the floor are there are some similiar i seen for sale that extend out am have a brace; or perhaps brace the legs to the ground aswell.

I don’t think cinder blocks would help all that much myself but I’m not sure…Maybe try putting 4 braces on the bottom of the rim like this pic shows, if you’re going to weld the column piece on might as well weld some braces onto it too.

For the top part of the stand, I have seen automotive jack stands welded on. Then you can adjust for different heights ( shorter or taller training partners) I use them on on the floor when doing partial deadlifts.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll weld the braces on.

The jack stand idea is rather cool.

Something like this would be much more stable. The problem with a rim is that when you apply pressure to the catch in the back the rim can roll.

Looks like my picture didn’t show up the first time.