Building Speed

[quote]Benway wrote:
As far as your training program, I think it might be a bit excessive.

First off, can you do cleans with perfect form? If not, then I really think you need to regress the movement down to movements that you can properly do. Hell, is your squat form perfect for that matter? If not, then I would highly recommend against squatting. (And quite honestly, with a 135 squat and 160 deadlift, I highly doubt you can perform either exercise correctly).

If you could post a video of your squat and maybe clean technique, it would be really helpful. All the squats and cleans in the world will do very little except expose you to risk of injury, if you’re doing them wrong.

As far as the lowest you could get your 100m, I think you should realize that it’s pretty silly to be asking that right now. Let me tell you right now, if that’s the mentality you have going into this, then you will never be successful. Right now, you probably need to be thinking about how you can improve your sprinting and lifting mechanics.

I know someone whose mentality exactly matches your question “how fast could my fastest 100m be?”. In fact, while the Olympics were on television, he got all excited because he wanted to be an olympic sprinter. He asked the same kind of questions, such as “do you think I’ll ever be able to make it to the Olympics?” instead of “how can I improve my lifting mechanics?” Needless to say, he is not ONE step closer to being the athlete he wanted to be.

In conclusion, it seems like you’re trying to do this all at once. It seems as if you think you can just create a training program filled with advanced and complicated movements like the clean and squat that most athletes can’t even perform correctly to begin with, and train your running six days a week (do you even have that kind of work capacity?), and magically make your way to your fastest possible 100m time. The process to becoming a better athlete will be gradual and filled with “boring” shit you don’t want to do, such as constant mobility work, agonizing single leg work, endless core training, monotonous glute activation work, etc. It might be YEARS of that shit before you even hit 11.5 seconds in the 100m.

Are you dedicated enough for that? You can’t just throw some plates on the bar and decide you’re going to clean it, with no experience or instruction in the clean. If you try, you’ll fail. Consequently, you may get disheartened, and quit within a few weeks.

You need to be dedicated, logical, progressive, be able to assess yourself honestly, and be able to work smart. Your last post showed none of those things. Fuck, it seems like you barely even thought about your weaknesses either - they seem way to broad. Do you have poor hip mobility? Poor hamstring flexibility? Anterior pelvic tilt? Muscle imbalances between force couples? That’s the shit you need to be thinking about if you EVER want to improve.[/quote]

What a great and accurate post.

I know you said it’s a long term thing, but I got my 100m tested today. 14 seconds!! Thanks so much for your advice, the sprints have worked brilliantly. I will carry on and try to get even faster. But thanks for all your advice anyone who posted.

If you really want to be fast, train with the track team. You can probably improve in a few days from technique alone. Once you get below 12 seconds then your talking about strength/bw fast twitch fibers and all that other stuff.