T Nation

Building Some Muscle

Ok this is what I’m trying to do. I wanna get into better shape and build some muscle. I have a very fast metabolism and I used to be 170 lbs I stayed at that weight for 5 years ,but then I started at UPS and though the lifting and the heat making me sweat constantly during the summer I dropped to 153 lbs. I’ve been with the company for almost 5 years and have done Tang Soo Do and Muay Thai even with that I wasn’t able to put any of that weight back on. I don’t have enough money for weights or a gym due to the fact that my car needs repairs and it’s gonna probably cost me a lot. My friend let me borrow a DVD set called Insanity ,but I’m not sure if that will do what I need it too. I want to put on like 20 lbs to be back at 170 lbs. Is insanity a good thing for me? and does anyone have any recommendations for workouts/routines I could do to put that weight on on? Thank you very much :slight_smile:

What the fuck is Insanity? Im sorry but you have to give more information. People aren’t going to go researching your ideas to give feedback on them. Quickest way to muscle:

  1. Drink plenty of water each day, more than you think you need

  2. Diet:

3 main meals: 20/30g protein - 40/60g carbs

3 snacks: 10/20g protein - 20/30g carbs

Post workout recovery meal (IMPORTANT): 2g carbs/kg B/W and 30g protein.

^ Plan this to a tee!

  1. Sleep 8 hours+

  2. routine: Starting Strength/equvalent (read up on this! Training is a science. Educatate yourself on your problem, and work out exactly what YOU need to do, people here cannot help in this respect)

Do all of the above IN EARNEST and you will gain weight/muscle (and very quickly at the beginning).

[quote]xFallenx wrote:
…almost 5 years and have done Tang Soo Do and Muay Thai even with that I wasn’t able to put any of that weight back on. [/quote]
Strange? Normally martial artists are hulking beasts.

[quote]
My friend let me borrow a DVD set called Insanity ,but I’m not sure if that will do what I need it too. I want to put on like 20 lbs to be back at 170 lbs. Is insanity a good thing for me?[/quote]
Insanity is for weight loss.

If you can’t afford a gym membership then put together a good body-weight routine and EAT.
All the working out in the world is not going to help poor diet.

For equipment, get yourself one of ^these^ ($39.98 of Amazon)

It should come with a booklet of all the exercises you can do with it. If that is not enough buy a book on body weight training, if you can’t afford a book go to the library or google.

[quote]yarni wrote:
What the fuck is Insanity? Im sorry but you have to give more information. People aren’t going to go researching your ideas to give feedback on them. Quickest way to muscle:

  1. Drink plenty of water each day, more than you think you need

  2. Diet:

3 main meals: 20/30g protein - 40/60g carbs

3 snacks: 10/20g protein - 20/30g carbs

Post workout recovery meal (IMPORTANT): 2g carbs/kg B/W and 30g protein.

^ Plan this to a tee!

  1. Sleep 8 hours+

  2. routine: Starting Strength/equvalent (read up on this! Training is a science. Educatate yourself on your problem, and work out exactly what YOU need to do, people here cannot help in this respect)

Do all of the above IN EARNEST and you will gain weight/muscle (and very quickly at the beginning).[/quote]

Main meals, no more than 30 grams per meal? Don’t you think that’s way to low. It should be near 60 grams per meal. maybe 30 grams on the snacks. You would have to eat 15 meals per day to get the necessary amount of protein, if you’re only eating 20-30 grams per meal. WAY TO LOW.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
Main meals, no more than 30 grams per meal? Don’t you think that’s way to low. It should be near 60 grams per meal. maybe 30 grams on the snacks. You would have to eat 15 meals per day to get the necessary amount of protein, if you’re only eating 20-30 grams per meal. WAY TO LOW.[/quote]

My advice was based on the fact that he weighs 153 pounds. Why is it when a skinny beginner says ‘I want to get bigger’ someone always suggests he begins instantly eating like a 120KG Russian Weightlifter? Typical forum nonsense. And how can you blanket statement like that anyway? haha. Just stop, please.

[quote]yarni wrote:

[quote]roguevampire wrote:
Main meals, no more than 30 grams per meal? Don’t you think that’s way to low. It should be near 60 grams per meal. maybe 30 grams on the snacks. You would have to eat 15 meals per day to get the necessary amount of protein, if you’re only eating 20-30 grams per meal. WAY TO LOW.[/quote]
My advice was based on the fact that he weighs 153 pounds. Why is it when a skinny beginner says ‘I want to get bigger’ someone always suggests he begins instantly eating like a 120KG Russian Weightlifter? Typical forum nonsense. And how can you blanket statement like that anyway? haha. Just stop, please.[/quote]
I disagree with both of you.

The dude is 6’1" and 150-something pounds. Over-emphasizing protein is a mistake. The guy needs to focus on eating more total calories - plenty of protein, fat, and carbs. Counting grams of anything is unnecessary minutia at this point.

[quote]xFallenx wrote:
My friend let me borrow a DVD set called Insanity ,but I’m not sure if that will do what I need it too.[/quote]
It won’t. Like JLone said, the Insanity program is primarily for conditioning/cardio/fat loss.

As was suggested, if you can invest 40 or 50 bucks to get some kind of resistance training, go that route. At the bare minimum, get a good pull-up bar. Bands would be the next step if you can’t find an inexpensive free weight set.

To do this, your priorities need to be #1 - Food, #2 - Exercise, in that order.

No kind of training will put weight on without the right nutrition. You were underweight at 170, and you’re crazy-underweight right now. (I was 6’2" and 170 before I started training. I know it can suck).

Check these articles to get your eating right: