T Nation

Building Power and Cutting

I think I’m well-read on most of the topics involving building mass, endurance, and cutting articles here on T-Nation. My understanding of using the three basic routines found within this site have all been implented. Then using this knowledge, with the most effective lifting techniques for maximum hypertrophy, has brought me to a pondering question. Can you “Bulk” and “Cut” at the same time?

BREAKDOWN:

BUILDING MASS

  • 5x5 using example:
    245 x 5
    245 x 5
    245 x 5
    245 x 5
    245 x 5

ENDURANCE:

  • 10x3 using example:
    205 x 10
    225 x 10
    245 x 10

CUTTING: using example:

  • High reps, less weight
    185 x 15
    205 x 12
    225 x 10

Now here’s a routine that I have adopted since 2000. It appears to be a combination of all three of the routines desribed earlier. It’s a 12, 10, 8, routine to complete muscle failure (Spotter on the last two sets).

Demon’s old workout routine:

BUILDING, CUTTING, ENDURANCE
EXAMPLE:

  • 12, 10, 8
    205 x 12
    225 x 10
    245 x 8

Now, I’ve been told that you either “Bulk” or you either “Cut”. I would like to do both within the same month so I cut the three phase “Building, Cutting, Endurance” routine into just two:

“BUILDING AND CUTTING”

Demon’s New and Improved Workout using alternating routines every “Two Weeks”.

WEEK 1 & 2 “Building”
WEEK 3 & 4 “Cutting”

  • Rinse, repeat -

BUILDING:
“Combination of Bulking and Endurance” All sets are completed to failure!!! Please use a spotter…!!! I recommend not using this routine on anything other than “Flat Barbell Press” or “Squat” and “Deadlift” routines. Stick with major muscle groups that are supported by other minor muscles groups please… (Rest two to three minutes between sets)

  • Example:
    205 x 12
    225 x 10
    245 x 7
    245 x 6
    265 x 3
    285 x 1

CUTTING:
A spotter is also recommended for these sets…!!! Before you panic and say “Hey this looks like a bulking routine, just consider the numbers please”…

CUTTING:

  • Example: "4 x 8, 60 second break between sets. Three minute break between 4 x 8 routines using three seperate exercise techniques for the major and corresponding minor muscle groups. Basically:

1st Set “Dumbell Flat” (60 second break between sets):
85 x 8
85 x 8
85 x 8
85 x 8

(3 minute break)

2nd Set “Barbell Incline” (60 second break between sets):
185 x 8
205 x 8
205 x 8
205 x 8

(3 minute break)

3rd Set “Barbell Decline” (60 second break between sets):
205 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8
225 x 8

I have incorporated this “New” workout routine to my regime and hope to see the two compliment each other. I would like to hear any “Bitches, Gripes, Complaints” about these two routines since I am currently using them.

Thanks,
OD

OD,

You might want to consider using heavy weights with low reps when cutting. Notice I said when cutting, not for cutting. I think most of the guys recommend that you use diet as your primary weight loss tool, although I could be mistaken.

Doing high reps on a lower carb, calorie controlled diet will lead to low energy levels, as you will use up your muscle energy stores (glycogen?) too early in the workout. I have also read that many people believe that you will lose more muscle mass using higher reps will cutting.

By using lower reps, you ensure that you energy stores last for the whole workout, and the heavy weight helps to prevent any muscle loss.

Something to think about anyway.

[quote]Massif wrote:
OD,

You might want to consider using heavy weights with low reps when cutting. Notice I said when cutting, not for cutting. I think most of the guys recommend that you use diet as your primary weight loss tool, although I could be mistaken.

Doing high reps on a lower carb, calorie controlled diet will lead to low energy levels, as you will use up your muscle energy stores (glycogen?) too early in the workout. I have also read that many people believe that you will lose more muscle mass using higher reps will cutting.

By using lower reps, you ensure that you energy stores last for the whole workout, and the heavy weight helps to prevent any muscle loss.

Something to think about anyway.[/quote]

It’s been hard for me to keep the fat down while consuming quality “complex” carbs for lifting-power/bulking. I’ve found I either have to “Bulk” or “Cut”. I can’t seem to do both during any one month. This thread is targeted at “Strength Gains” (Mass follows) and “Cutting” (Burning Fat) during the same month!!! It’s crazy… but can it be done without gear???

Enquiring minds want to know,
OD

You can’t switch between bulking and cutting within the space of a month, anyway. The body needs a couple weeks to change modes. If you switch every week or two, you’ll just be stuck in between. Give it more time in each phase.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
You can’t switch between bulking and cutting within the space of a month, anyway. The body needs a couple weeks to change modes. If you switch every week or two, you’ll just be stuck in between. Give it more time in each phase.[/quote]

I disagree; you can be in anabolic and catabolic modes depending on the time of day. There’s no reason for a trainee to think that he can’t gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously with proper training and nutrition.

so you want to combine those “bulk”,“endurance”,“cutting” in one??

then may be you should take a look at: “Thibaudeau’s Top 7 Tips”
by Christian Thibaudeau

7. Avoid the Shotgun Approach

I want to bench press a ton, but I also want to have big arms, round shoulders and washboard abs. I want to look good for the ladies so give me some lean legs and a tiny, firm set of glutes.

Hey, I have an idea! I?ll use a Westside bench press program, throw in Charles Staley?s EDT for arms, Christian?s “Abs Training for Babehounds” and his Shoulders Overhaul program, and for legs I?ll go with Ian King?s Limping Series. That should allow me to reach all of my goals in no time!

Wrong! Boy, is this wrong? This is one of the most idiotic things I see in gyms all around the world. Listen to me, folks: a training program (especially a training system like Westside, EDT and my accumulation/intensification rotation) is designed to work as a whole. Believe it or not, there’s a logic behind everything. The individual sessions are designed to allow you to reap the most out of every single workout. You can’t go Frankenstein on us and try to create the “ultimate program” by throwing in a little of everything. It just won?t work!

You can, however, divide your goals into blocks so you can focus on a single goal at a time, then move on to a new objective once the first one is met. But please, don?t try to be and do everything all at once. You?ll end up disappointed.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
so you want to combine those “bulk”,“endurance”,“cutting” in one??

then may be you should take a look at: “Thibaudeau’s Top 7 Tips”
by Christian Thibaudeau

7. Avoid the Shotgun Approach

[/quote]

Check out my other thread… “Best Window for Bulking” You’ll find in it that I’m not suggesting a shotgun approach. I’m merely making a statement that just about every bonehead overlooks. You can bulk and cut during the same month!

I’ll get ‘cut if i up to 15 reps’ & bulk on lower reps, WTF, thought this was obvious to anyone who is ‘read up’ As for can you do both - just search for Skip LaCours site. Through his pre-contest prep and all year his reps are low and heavy.

[quote]bomberlow wrote:
I’ll get ‘cut if i up to 15 reps’ & bulk on lower reps, WTF, thought this was obvious to anyone who is ‘read up’ As for can you do both - just search for Skip LaCours site. Through his pre-contest prep and all year his reps are low and heavy. [/quote]

That’s right. Couldn’t said it better myself. All year he does less reps more weight. And then before comp he does 15 rep sets. That’s already a given.

However, what I stated above is can you do both during the same month!!! It just seems like you lose the ability to gain more muscle mass with more reps while trying to gain. I’m trying to find the sweet spot where you can bulk and cut during the same phase or atleast a two part split in the same month.

Thanks,
OD