T Nation

Building Pivot Point Muscles?

WHAT ARE THE BEST EXERCISES FOR THE PIVOT POINTS?

I'm cutting right now, but, I'd like to work more on my pivot points when I get back to training. I'd like to put back on a few more lbs of muscle that I lost while cutting and shape my physique for pivot points.

The pivot points are: (the parts of the muscle are more or less the furthest away from the belly of the muscle; its supposed to look pleasing to the eye)

articles.a1supplements.com/training/training-tips%10theory/pivot-points:-training-to-redesign-your-physique/

Side and Rear Deltoids - Wide shoulders require well-developed side and rear deltoids. Attention to these two body parts not only contributes to making your waist and hips look smaller, but makes your upper back distinctly more prominent, as well.

Upper Pecs - A "big chest" without well-developed upper Pecs, leaves the eyes of viewers with a disappointing "droopy" image. The more developed your chest is near the clavicles, the better your entire chest appears.

High and Mid Lats - Well-developed lats, right under the pits of your arms, that flow into a heart shape not only make you look wider, but also make your entire waist area pleasing to the eye. Be careful training this area. Too much lat development near your waist makes your trunk look shorter, resulting in a "bunched-up look."

Lower Biceps - A small arm only looks smaller with a big space (or gap) between your elbow and where the biceps mass begins. Lower biceps are a must have for good-looking arms that just hang impressively without flexing.

Long Head of the Triceps - Also known as the "outer head," the long head of the triceps, when well developed, appears to run all the way down to your elbow. Another "must" for arms that hang remarkably.

Forearms - Since forearms are often in full display, they are obvious eye-catchers when they are well developed. Vastus Intermas �?�¢??Commonly referred to as the "tear drop," the vastus internus is the muscle of the lower, inner thigh. When flexed, the shape itself is beautiful. When well developed, it makes an otherwise stringy thigh appear balanced when viewed from the front.

Vastus Lateralis - The muscles of the outer thighs are often called "thigh rods" and, when well developed, the vastus lateralis create a visually dramatic sweep on the outer quads.

Lower Calves - This body part requires extreme concentration for simple development. To build a set of ideal, "diamond-shaped" calves, peak contractions with moderate resistance is essential.

Hamstrings - The "rear leg biceps" complete your physique from the backside. Leave your ego at the door when training the hamstrings; peak contractions bring this area to life.

Dude, you’re 150 lbs. All your muscles are simply fuckin pivot points.

Yea man, focus on “pivot points” when they actually stand out from an otherwise massive frame.

[quote]thorax wrote:
Dude, you’re 150 lbs. All your muscles are simply fuckin pivot points.[/quote]

I’m 160lbs at 6% bodyfat. I also have 16" arms and a 28" waist. I was 175lbs. I’m trying to lean out. I’m not trying to look big. I would rather look like Frank Zane. Not trying to be big here fella. I don’t have a frame like that. I’m naturally 125lbs. Bulked up to 180lbs over the years. Just trying to lean out here.

If you don’t know the answer, why post?

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Yea man, focus on “pivot points” when they actually stand out from an otherwise massive frame.[/quote]

Agree. I do body-weight exercises, but was thinking of adding some weight training in a few weeks to hit the pivot points.

Frank Zane had a competition body weight of about 180 pounds. If you’re wanting to look like him you’re gonna have to get to about 200 before you start leaning out to resemble him.

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Frank Zane had a competition body weight of about 180 pounds. If you’re wanting to look like him you’re gonna have to get to about 200 before you start leaning out to resemble him.[/quote]

No, I just want to lean out. Not really trying to build any muscle right now. I’ll never look like Frank Zane. If I was to try to build some muscle, I would try to build proportions like him though, he looks really well put together. I was as high as 180lbs before, I will be lighter an smaller than him for sure, I’m only 160lbs leaned out. I just like the way he’s built and when I cut or put muscle on, I wouldn’t mind getting a shape somewhere close to his; although a lot smaller obviously. Just something to shoot for.

Over 200. Not to mention he looked bigger than most people due to his genetic structure. Most people as lean at that weight would look much smaller.

Being afraid of getting big (generally in reference to a contest shape pro level heavyweight body builder) is like going to drivers ED and telling the instructor you donâ??t want to end up driving in a Nascar race like Daryl Waltrip. Or taking a job in the mail room of Exxon Mobile and worrying about the possible bad effects on your life if they made you CEO. There are one or two (billion) steps between where you are and being too bulkier than Frank Zane.

Unless you have freaky genetic abilities, devote your entire life to training and 24 hour nutrition, start dosing with anabolics, and stay dedicated for decades, getting â??too big like thatâ?? isnâ??t even possible.

Itâ??s more logical to worry about shark attacks while walking down the street.

[quote]Eleven Bravo wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:
No, I just want to lean out. Not really trying to build any muscle right now. [/quote]

Only the pivot muscles, right? Man, you seem to be clueless.
To answer your question: there are no magic exercises. Sure, some of them will hit the areas you talk about more than others, but why do them exclusively? You need to do all staple exercises anyway and you’ll gain muscles everywhere, which you basically don’t want 'cause you already look awsome…

How come no one on this site bothers to actually answer the question? I was looking for specific exercises. I heard this was a good site, so I tried to get some info here. I’m getting nothing to that effect!

[quote]thorax wrote:
Eleven Bravo wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:
No, I just want to lean out. Not really trying to build any muscle right now.

Only the pivot muscles, right? Man, you seem to be clueless.
To answer your question: there are no magic exercises. Sure, some of them will hit the areas you talk about more than others, but why do them exclusively? You need to do all staple exercises anyway and you’ll gain muscles everywhere, which you basically don’t want 'cause you already look awsome…

[/quote]

I look pretty good. Been working out for about 10 years doing calisthenics and mostly body weight exercises. I don’t look like a body builder, but more like Ranger. That’s what I do!

Thanks for another totally useless answer. I think I’ll try another site.

Been working out for about 10 years doing calisthenics and mostly body weight exercises. I don’t look like a body builder, but more like Ranger. That’s what I do![/quote]

You’d perform even better as a Ranger if you had an impressive deadlift, front squat, power clean, and overhead press (among others). These are the same exercises that will build lean muscle to all the parts of the body that article mentioned.

As it stands, I’d have to bet you’re lacking in those lifts, since you don’t practice them. This means that you’re not doing all you can do, to be all you can be. (Please forgive the all-too-easy joke. All due respect for what you do.)

[quote]Side and Rear Deltoids …
Upper Pecs …
High and Mid Lats …
Lower Biceps …
Long Head of the Triceps …
Forearms …
Vastus Lateralis - The muscles of the outer thighs …
Lower Calves …
Hamstrings[/quote]

So, the article is saying you should train your shoulders, chest, back, arms, and legs.

I concur.

Dude, some of those “bodyparts” listed are flat-out fictional. Lower biceps? High and mid lats? Lower calves? Show me any of those in an anatomy textbook, and I’ll be a pretty ballerina.

Simply put… you will build a better-looking, stronger, and more athletic body if you incorporate basic weight training exercises. If you’ve never done any weight training before, it makes no sense to start by focusing on your “pivot points.”

Look at it this way, if I’ve never shot a rifle before, but I’m super accurate with a slingshot, would you teach me to fire a Barret .50 cal? Or would it be better for me to head to the range with a .22 varmint-killer to get started?

Same thing applies here. Your bodyweight training is the slingshot, fine-tuning detail exercises are the Barrett, and the “pivot points” are the varmints… or something like that.

Side and Rear Deltoids - Wide shoulders require well-developed side and rear deltoids. Attention to these two body parts not only contributes to making your waist and hips look smaller, but makes your upper back distinctly more prominent, as well.

Upper Pecs - A “big chest” without well-developed upper Pecs, leaves the eyes of viewers with a disappointing “droopy” image. The more developed your chest is near the clavicles, the better your entire chest appears.

High and Mid Lats - Well-developed lats, right under the pits of your arms, that flow into a heart shape not only make you look wider, but also make your entire waist area pleasing to the eye. Be careful training this area. Too much lat development near your waist makes your trunk look shorter, resulting in a “bunched-up look.”

Lower Biceps - A small arm only looks smaller with a big space (or gap) between your elbow and where the biceps mass begins. Lower biceps are a must have for good-looking arms that just hang impressively without flexing.

Long Head of the Triceps - Also known as the “outer head,” the long head of the triceps, when well developed, appears to run all the way down to your elbow. Another “must” for arms that hang remarkably.

Forearms - Since forearms are often in full display, they are obvious eye-catchers when they are well developed. Vastus Intermas Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??Commonly referred to as the “tear drop,” the vastus internus is the muscle of the lower, inner thigh. When flexed, the shape itself is beautiful. When well developed, it makes an otherwise stringy thigh appear balanced when viewed from the front.

Vastus Lateralis - The muscles of the outer thighs are often called “thigh rods” and, when well developed, the vastus lateralis create a visually dramatic sweep on the outer quads.

Lower Calves - This body part requires extreme concentration for simple development. To build a set of ideal, “diamond-shaped” calves, peak contractions with moderate resistance is essential.

Hamstrings - The “rear leg biceps” complete your physique from the backside. Leave your ego at the door when training the hamstrings; peak contractions bring this area to life.
[/quote]

Delts thing - lateral & rear raises
Pecs thing - incline BB & DB press
Lower biceps thing- impossible
Lats thing - pull-ups
Tric thing - dips + EZ bar extentions
Vastus thing - front squats
Calf thing - impossible
Hams thing - deadlift+squats+leg curls

Good luck ranger!

Arnold had a video where he talked about some of these things. I can’t remember the name. It’s about the period in which he was preparing for his last Mr. O.

Personal opinion here, but that’s one of the stupidest pieces of bb’ing advice I’ve ever read.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Too much lat development near your waist makes your trunk look shorter, resulting in a “bunched-up look.”

Personal opinion here, but that’s one of the stupidest pieces of bb’ing advice I’ve ever read.[/quote]

You must not read through the BB forum very much. Either that you have a preternatural ability to avoid the trolls.

I do admit, Nominal Prospect has come close, but these days I escape reading his posts.

I’m sure he’s honored, there’s some stiff competition.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Dude, some of those “bodyparts” listed are flat-out fictional. Lower biceps? High and mid lats? Lower calves? Show me any of those in an anatomy textbook, and I’ll be a pretty ballerina.
[/quote]

x2

You don’t have “upper pecs.” No one does. Your pectoral muscle is a single muscle group, and regardless of if you do incline, decline, or flat benches, the entire muscle fires. You can slightly change the recruitment patterns by changing how you bench, but it’s not like you need to specifically do an incline bench to hit your “upper pecs.”

I never heard of PIVOT POINTS of a muscle. So I checked all my physiology, anatomy and kinesiology books and not one of them used the term PIVOT POINTS. But all of them mentioned the ORIGIN of the muscle and the INSERTION of the muscle.

All you do is locate the origin and the insertion of the muscle and draw a straight line connecting the two. That is how the muscle pulls. In a straight line. Now make it contract by lifting a heavy object. Don’t try to make lifting heavy stuff into rocket science.

TNT