Building on a Vegetarian Diet

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:
My main protein source was whey. 300 grams a day through whey.
[/quote]

O_O Jezzus what’s that like 30 shakes?[/quote]

haha… something like that =P

on a more serious note… had 6 shakes a day, each consisting of 2 scoops (50g)

wasn’t too bad… it surely kept things simple[/quote]

6 Isn’t too bad.

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:
i went from 150lbs to 230lbs in two years, ON A VEGETARIAN DIET.

people would ridicule the idea when i first started, but two years down the line, these same ppl were chewing their words.

[/quote]
So you consumed 300 g of ANIMAL PROTEIN daily on a vegetarian diet and gained mass? And you seem surprised?[/quote]

huh? animal protein? whey is dairy.

and i certainly wasn’t surprised… as long as i was getting all the amino acids and absorbing all of them, i expected results
[/quote]

… are you being dense on purpose? Think about this for like 5 seconds. Where does dairy come from? Does it come from: A) vegetables, or B) animals? I know you can figure this out.

Dairy is an animal product. Just because it’s not the meat of the animal, doesn’t mean it didn’t come directly from an animal. A cow PRODUCED the milk, which was then processed into whey protein powder. Jesus Christ, how can you go 2 years without this crossing your mind?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

people would ridicule the idea when i first started, but two years down the line, these same ppl were chewing their words.

[/quote]
So you consumed 300 g of ANIMAL PROTEIN daily on a vegetarian diet and gained mass? And you seem surprised?[/quote]

and i certainly wasn’t surprised… as long as i was getting all the amino acids and absorbing all of them, i expected results
[/quote]

… are you being dense on purpose? Think about this for like 5 seconds. Where does dairy come from? Does it come from: A) vegetables, or B) animals? I know you can figure this out.

Dairy is an animal product. Just because it’s not the meat of the animal, doesn’t mean it didn’t come directly from an animal. A cow PRODUCED the milk, which was then processed into whey protein powder. Jesus Christ, how can you go 2 years without this crossing your mind?[/quote]

I don’t get the attack and attitude towards Bob. He said vegetarian, not vegan. And fuck semantics. It’s pretty clear he means simply not eating meat.

I’m more interested in hearing WHY you gave up meat and any benefits you noticed.

Also good call with the 6 x 50g shakes. Some protein make really good shakes when you mix from 2 scoops and up.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dairy is an animal product. Just because it’s not the meat of the animal, doesn’t mean it didn’t come directly from an animal. A cow PRODUCED the milk, which was then processed into whey protein powder. Jesus Christ, how can you go 2 years without this crossing your mind?[/quote]

Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from eating meat. Whether something is a product derived from an animal is irrelevant to his claim of gaining mass on a vegetarian diet. lol

I could see doing 6 shakes… if they weren’t sweetened. That much sweetener would gross me out and I’d imagine there’d be some negative effects.

Supplement with leucine and a good B vitamin complex, also non-beef eaters seem to benefit a lot from creatine

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from eating meat. Whether something is a product derived from an animal is irrelevant to his claim of gaining mass on a vegetarian diet. lol[/quote]

No shit. My comment wasn’t in reference to his vegetarianism claim. I was referring to his last quote, which was: “huh? animal protein? whey is dairy.” lol

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from eating meat. Whether something is a product derived from an animal is irrelevant to his claim of gaining mass on a vegetarian diet. lol[/quote]

No shit. My comment wasn’t in reference to his vegetarianism claim. I was referring to his last quote, which was: “huh? animal protein? whey is dairy.” lol[/quote]

Oh, well I guess the ‘going 2 years w/o it crossing your mind’ comment made me think you were referencing his vegetarianism. I could see where a vegetarian would not consider a dairy product animal protein initially, just as I wouldn’t think to call cheese an animal protein immediately, though.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

No shit. My comment wasn’t in reference to his vegetarianism claim. I was referring to his last quote, which was: “huh? animal protein? whey is dairy.” lol[/quote]

Oh, well I guess the ‘going 2 years w/o it crossing your mind’ comment made me think you were referencing his vegetarianism. I could see where a vegetarian would not consider a dairy product animal protein initially, just as I wouldn’t think to call cheese an animal protein immediately, though.

[/quote]

^^^ This. Precisely.

@flipcollar : Thanks for opening my eyes to the fact that milk comes from cows and not from carrots. Much obliged.

To answer your question, NO - it did not cross my mind in those two years.
Why on earth would this be relevant to someone who is simply abstaining from eating meat (i.e. a vegetarian)?

Why do people struggle to understand the difference between vegetarianism and veganism?

I’m a vegetarian, not by choice of course, my body simply has the inability to stomach animal flesh.

That being said, I get ridiculous amounts of protein by eating yoghurt, eggs, drinking milk and not neglecting vegetable protein rich sources either. I gain fine, it just might mean eating a bit more to compensate for the protein digestibility factors (eg, you will digest more of a steak than you would legumes)

[quote]bobMartial wrote:
Why do people struggle to understand the difference between vegetarianism and veganism?[/quote]
Because there’s no single definition of vegetarian. There are varying degrees of “vegetarian” and that’s an issue of debate even within that community.

If you allowed yourself whey, you’d be considered a lacto-vegetarian. Though that begs the question why you wouldn’t allow yourself other dairy protein options like milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

There are lacto-ovo-vegetarians who allow themselves eggs and dairy. Logic being, an egg is unfertilized so it isn’t/won’t be an animal. There are also loosely-defined “vegetarians” who simply don’t eat red meat (cow), but will have fish and/or poultry.

When I was doing my two-month vegetarian/vegan experiment a few years ago, I can’t tell you how many times people asked me, “But you can still eat fish, right?” Like people somehow don’t understand that fish are animals. Just a weird association. This was right around the time when PETA started their “Fish Are Sea Kittens” campaign.

Vegans, generally, are those who avoid all animal or animal-sourced food products (including things like honey). But even here, there’s the debate if a vegan “has to” also avoid animal-sourced clothing and goods (silk, leather, etc.) or if it’s “acceptable” to be a nutrition-only vegan.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don’t get the attack and attitude towards Bob. He said vegetarian, not vegan. And fuck semantics. It’s pretty clear he means simply not eating meat.

I’m more interested in hearing WHY you gave up meat and any benefits you noticed.

Also good call with the 6 x 50g shakes. Some protein make really good shakes when you mix from 2 scoops and up.[/quote]

Thanks man. Guess some people just love opportunties to start shit, lol

Giving up meat was more of a personal decision for me, rather than health-influenced. It was partly moral and partly because I wanted to see if I had the willpower to stay away from meat.

I didn’t do bloodwork before and after, so can’t give you a definitive list of health benefits, I’m afraid.

However, it did indirectly benefit my digestion. I mixed oats with atleast two of my shakes, which meant plenty of fiber. The brand of whey I used had digestive enzymes added in, which made a huge difference too.

More importantly, the simplicity of ‘6 shakes a day’ meant that stress was greatly reduced. I no longer had to worry about eating meals with high enough protein, essential vs non-essential aminos etc.

For example, if I was supposed to eat 4500 cals on a given day, I would subtract the 1400 calories of whey from it, and then have 3100 calories to enjoy throughout the day, without worrying alot about the macronutrient details.

This freedom helped me stay consistent and motivated for 2 years and make the progress I did.

I suppose alot of it comes down to your individual personality.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:
Why do people struggle to understand the difference between vegetarianism and veganism?[/quote]
Because there’s no single definition of vegetarian. There are varying degrees of “vegetarian” and that’s an issue of debate even within that community.

If you allowed yourself whey, you’d be considered a lacto-vegetarian. Though that begs the question why you wouldn’t allow yourself other dairy protein options like milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

There are lacto-ovo-vegetarians who allow themselves eggs and dairy. Logic being, an egg is unfertilized so it isn’t/won’t be an animal. There are also loosely-defined “vegetarians” who simply don’t eat red meat (cow), but will have fish and/or poultry.

When I was doing my two-month vegetarian/vegan experiment a few years ago, I can’t tell you how many times people asked me, “But you can still eat fish, right?” Like people somehow don’t understand that fish are animals. Just a weird association. This was right around the time when PETA started their “Fish Are Sea Kittens” campaign.

Vegans, generally, are those who avoid all animal or animal-sourced food products (including things like honey). But even here, there’s the debate if a vegan “has to” also avoid animal-sourced clothing and goods (silk, leather, etc.) or if it’s “acceptable” to be a nutrition-only vegan.[/quote]

Fair enough. You do have a point.

Guess the perceived concept of “vegetarianism” also differs depending on whereabouts in the world you are based.

Most people I know didn’t have any issues understanding the “rules” I was following when I turned vegetarian.

Just to clarify, I did allow myself milk, cheese and yoghurt. I just didn’t indulge too much in it, due to being lactose intolerant.

^lol

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

Because 99.99% of people do not give a flying fuck about lifestyles they will never live.

The only reason I have a tiny bit of understanding is because my sister is a lvl 10 vegan.

it’s like knowing the difference between a Sunni and Shitte Muslim. Ain’t Muslim and I don’t live near nor do I know any. So I don’t really care what the difference is.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]bobMartial wrote:

Because 99.99% of people do not give a flying fuck about lifestyles they will never live.

The only reason I have a tiny bit of understanding is because my sister is a lvl 10 vegan.
[/quote]

Agreed. But then those people are in no position to be engaging in debates and making ignorant judgements regarding said lifestyles.

This is no different than one of my colleagues seeing me drink a whey protein shake and then advising me that “those vitamin shakes” are not good for me…

sigh

Went from 120 to 185 on a (lacto-ovo-) vegetarian diet. I have friends who have gained more while only eating meat once a week. If you’re only trying to “prove” that it’s possible and don’t have any ethical or personal reasons to abstain from meat, I say go ahead and enjoy your meat. Not sure if it’s going to help your gains, but it tastes good and is generally good for you, so why not? The vegetarian experiment has already been done.