Building Muscle In College

Hey guys, I just got accepted to the college I wanted to go to. The thing is, how should I best plan my nutrition/workouts, because I deff. want to keep doing this for the rest of my life. I’m just having trouble thinking about setting things right for the fall. Any suggestions and/or experiences guys?

Your schedule is flexible, you can lift whenever the fuck you want. Pick a good time and stick to it.

Nutrition: college sucks for cutting but is good for bulking. The nature of the eateries makes 3 big meals a day kind of par per course, but as a bodybuilder that’s 3 small meals and just eat protein bars, peanuts, and beef jerky between meals. At least that’s what I do.

It kind of depends on what your schedule will be like. The college I went to gave everyone a one-hour break from 1-2, so it was easy to schedule meals around class. I was usually done with class by 4 so I’d work out in the evenings. Your schedule may be different, just see how it is and be flexible.

Which college?

For me the cafeteria was buffet style 3 times a day for the mealplan I purchased. If that’s the case then you hit gold and you can really take in the calories. Invest in some tupperware or at least ziploc bags and bring back whatever food you want to eat later.

If you have to pay for each meal or item of the meal then that’s a little different. Go with whatever has the most benefit to cost ratio and pick up some things at a local grocery store. Eggs are cheap, oatmeal is cheap, look for sales on chicken or other meats.

Training was also easy for me because the gym was within walking distance. If possible lift during off hours, early mornings late evenings. I put on the “freshmen 15(+7)” but most of it was muscle. College is a good time to gain size.

Most importantly, show up to class and get laid.

Thanks so much for the replies so far. I’m still waiting for the papers to come. I’m going to be a Freshman at Newbury College in Boston. I may transfer to a “nicer” school.

I pretty much fucked myself during Sophmore year with grades, and didn’t get Honors till Junior and Senior. But I’m looking forward to college. However, I basically should just be in a 4 year mass cycle? haha

What is your plan for at least the first two years? Are you living on-campus in the dorms, where they give you 2-3 (not very good) meals a day? if so you might have to buy things like george foreman grill and a blender because i dont think you’ll have a kitchen.

if you get an apartment it is much easier imo but you will be missing out on the dorm life, which is something everyone should experience imo.

I’m planning on living in a dorm, in downtown Boston, hopefully. Hopefully I’ll have a roomate that won’t mind the idea of food planning, that’s going to be an awkward experience.

I wouldn’t plan a 4 year cycle haha. I’d get to school and for a few weeks workout and see what the school has to offer as far as food. Get yourself a plan and go to work.

This past year from August 2006 to February 2007 I “bulked” and went from about 215-240. I lifted hard and made a lot of great gains but now im in my cutting cycle and I plan to stay on a clean bulk for the rest of my college career hopefully.

Right now I eat 3 major meals made up of oatmeal and protein powder in the morning, salad with chicken and eggs for lunch and either tuna, chicken or some sort of meat and veggies for dinner. In between I’ll have fruits, protein shakes and I’m going to start buying protein bars if Im in a hurry.

bulking is amazing though. I ate like a complete slob, my wendy’s meal that I had twice a week consisted of 3 junior bacon cheeseburgers and 3 five piece nuggets. Man that made me sh*t my brains out but I love it.

good luck

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Hopefully I’ll have a roomate that won’t mind the idea of food planning, that’s going to be an awkward experience.[/quote]

What the hell are you talking about?

Anyway, Newbury College is in Brookline. I’d shoot for housing on campus or as close as possible to it if I were you. Getting from downtown Boston to Fisher Hill Avenue in Brookline (Newbury’s location) can easily start to get on your nerves. Before you talk about transfer to a nicer school (what’re you thinking of, Johnson & Wales? Someplace else?) approach this one with an open mind.

It’s a great school, from what I here. You’re lucky your mass building phase coincides with being at a culinary arts school. Milk that for all it’s worth. Good luck!

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
Hopefully I’ll have a roomate that won’t mind the idea of food planning, that’s going to be an awkward experience.

What the hell are you talking about?

Anyway, Newbury College is in Brookline. I’d shoot for housing on campus or as close as possible to it if I were you. Getting from downtown Boston to Fisher Hill Avenue in Brookline (Newbury’s location) can easily start to get on your nerves. Before you talk about transfer to a nicer school (what’re you thinking of, Johnson & Wales? Someplace else?) approach this one with an open mind.

It’s a great school, from what I here. You’re lucky your mass building phase coincides with being at a culinary arts school. Milk that for all it’s worth. Good luck![/quote]

Yeah, it’s a really nice small pirvate school. I like it. I meant buy the food prep as in, I wake up and prepare my meals for the day, and I hope that doesn’t creep out my roomate that I’m cooking five meals for the day.

You’ll be fine in your ability to lift, eat, and sleep. I graduated last year and it was a bitch getting used to working all the time and THEN trying to workout. Even now I can only muster 2 training days a week.

I think college will be the only time short of being a professional athlete or working in a gym that you’ll be able to workout as often as you want.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460575
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459620

Those two links should sum it up for you; in my opinion.