T Nation

Building Muscle and Endurance

Alright, I'm 17 years old and weigh 160 lbs. I'm skinny now and I run out of breath fast (low endurance). So in short I want to build muscle and also build endurance. Help on ways to go about this? Exercises? Tips? Cautionary tales?

are you serious?

try doing something for yourself for once. there's the FAQ, plus all the articles on this site, plus google if you get lost. no one wants to hold your hand. don't be this pathetic.

Woah, dude. This is the beginner's forum. Yes, there are stickies, but some people aren't that good with computers or forums, and haven't the sense to read beforehand. Flaming the shit out of someone on their first post isn't productive. If you don't have the patience to deal with beginners, seriously, hang out in the BB forum, where you can flame people for asking beginner questions. Flaming people for asking beginner questions in the beginner forum is... inappropriate.

To the OP:

1) Welcome

2) Your goals are kind of vague. You want to get stronger and have more endurance. Muscular endurance? Like, being able to squat for a minute and a half? Or cardiovascular endurance, like being able to run three miles in 18 minutes? Being more specific will be helpful.

3) Pretty much regardless of your goals, you'll find information on here to be helpful. To start with, try doing what you want to do, and over time, doing it better. Like if you want to be stronger and have better cardio, start squatting and running, and then over time, add more weight to the bar and run for longer. You may find some tips and tricks as to how to structure your regimen, or specific advice on form or whatnot, but that's the basics right there. Do it, then do it better.

Oh, and eat good.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you want to build up your endurance? As in, are you doing any sports that necessitate it? Other than that though, lifting will increase your endurance to a certain degree.

As Otep said, more specific goals/questions would help get you better answers.

Yeah I meant cardiovascular endurance like being able to run for a longer period of time without getting too tired (to answer the other question not for any sport in particular). And about building muscle I want to work on my chest, my arms, and my legs in general. SO I know bench pressing, bicep curls, sqauts, and dips would be good. I am just looking for the best exercises to build muscle in those regions

as a side comment, respect to Otep. always polite, clear and understanding, and always willing to help.

ill go about removing my mouth from your cock now :slight_smile:

That pretty much sums it up.

The only thing I'll add is: No matter what your strength goals are, use a balanced program (work EVERYTHING)

Welcome to the Nation

Don't forget back work, it's good for you. Also, I've always played sports (and still do) so my "endurance" training, is the training we do for the sport. But it's pretty basic, if your goal is to run longer, start out jogging, then go longer or faster.

Lift weights 4 days a week. Go running 3 days a week. Eat 6 meals a day, 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and enough calories to grow every day.

Aim to gain 3-5lbs of bodyweight a month, and make sure you're handling more weight (10lbs at least) on all the basic bodybuilding exercises at the end of the month than you were at the beginning.

Set some reasonable goals, form a plan, and start right away.