Building Me a Stronger Deadlift

[quote]Hanley wrote:
This is the form I was using; Dumbbell Row 50kg x20 - YouTube
[/quote]

Hanley,

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but that was horrible form. Please take the advise on the attached and do them properly. :slight_smile:

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Hanley,

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but that was horrible form. Please take the advise on the attached and do them properly. :slight_smile:

- YouTube [/quote]

are you joking?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Hanley,

are you joking?[/quote]

Yeah, I figured the sideways happyface would give it away.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Hanley,

are you joking?

Yeah, I figured the sideways happyface would give it away.

[/quote]

Don’t worry, I picked up on it!!

Ruggerlife wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Hanley,

are you joking?[/quote]

jesus every god damn half wit wannabe Pt jerk off is wearing underarmour now…

Anyway ill be watching this thread, seeing as i suffer some of the same problems, slow off the floor and poor grip at lock out

[quote]Wayland wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
Hanley wrote:

Hanley,

are you joking?

jesus every god damn half wit wannabe Pt jerk off is wearing underarmour now…

Anyway ill be watching this thread, seeing as i suffer some of the same problems, slow off the floor and poor grip at lock out[/quote]

A really close stance squat helps me get it off the floor but I still think deficits are king.

Crashball

[quote]schultzie wrote:
so… how do you train the fingers?[/quote]

For grip:

Block holds for max time
Plate Holds for max time
Bar hangs for max time
Rope hangs for max time

And what I mean for time is:
For 3 weeks
5 days per week do one or two of the above.
You know max time is up when you hurt so bad you start to wimper and cry.

Your grip will never be better…

sets/ reps?

Like 3 sets of bar hangs for max time?

Or just one all out to failure 5 times a week.

I have a bar in my basement I’m starting to do, I got 45 seconds just now but I think I can do more.

I’ll grease the groove on these, grip is really holding me back. I did 275lbsx8 on SLDLs with straps but I can only conventional that maybe 5 times bare handed. sigh

For grip, use some chalk. Really once I started chalking I never had a problem with grip again. The bar would stick to my hand.

Weak off the floor is supposed to be where everyone pulling sumo is weak. A few people have mentioned deadlifts from a deficit. I also used sumo deadlift high pulls, attempting to explode with the weight.

I couldn’t deadlift and squat in the same day. I am doing WS4SB, and luckily, you choose 1 ME exercises. I am just now starting to try and incorporate a DE lower day, which I am using box squats and speed pulls.

I think another option is to work in cycles, or rotate ME lifts. Maybe do 2 wks ME squat variation, with DE deads, and switch it up.

[quote]gabex wrote:
For grip, use some chalk. Really once I started chalking I never had a problem with grip again. The bar would stick to my hand.

Weak off the floor is supposed to be where everyone pulling sumo is weak. A few people have mentioned deadlifts from a deficit. I also used sumo deadlift high pulls, attempting to explode with the weight.

I couldn’t deadlift and squat in the same day. I am doing WS4SB, and luckily, you choose 1 ME exercises. I am just now starting to try and incorporate a DE lower day, which I am using box squats and speed pulls.

I think another option is to work in cycles, or rotate ME lifts. Maybe do 2 wks ME squat variation, with DE deads, and switch it up.[/quote]

we can’t use chalk. It’s rediculous.

gabex wrote:

we can’t use chalk. It’s rediculous.[/quote]

That is insane. They want you to do max efforts but not allow you to use chalk…if I were you I would try to get that changed.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
sets/ reps?

Like 3 sets of bar hangs for max time?

Or just one all out to failure 5 times a week.

I have a bar in my basement I’m starting to do, I got 45 seconds just now but I think I can do more.

I’ll grease the groove on these, grip is really holding me back. I did 275lbsx8 on SLDLs with straps but I can only conventional that maybe 5 times bare handed. sigh[/quote]

No like this:

Bar Hangs for max time…you start crying from pain.
Rest
Block Holds for max time…you start crying from pain.
You won’t want to do it anymore so next day:
Rope holds for max time…you start crying from pain.
etc.

If you are really holding on for max time you won’t be able to do more than two of those in a day. And over time your grip will seem to get weaker. But after you stop for the week long rest your forearms will have never before realized strength.

Check this out for block holds and other grip advice:

Is it a good idea to train grip to failure all the time?

I know I wouldn’t do it for any other muscle group. When I was training rack pulls, pulls off the floor and dumbbell rows hard all in the same week my grip over trained pretty quickly.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Is it a good idea to train grip to failure all the time?

I know I wouldn’t do it for any other muscle group. When I was training rack pulls, pulls off the floor and dumbbell rows hard all in the same week my grip over trained pretty quickly.[/quote]

There certainly is a place for it. I don’t do it all the time. Perhaps once every quarter or so.

But if you are stagnating at grip strength on a DL and you are holding the bar right (one had facing one way and the other facing the opposite)and still losing the grip…that is your weak point and my experience is that you have to hit your grip hard and often to really make significant gains.

This protocol will over-train your grip – but that is the point in order to get some super-compensation going on in the rest week.

Have you tried switching to hook grip? It hurts like a bitch, but you just can’t drop a bar.

And you do it double overhand