T Nation

Building Mass Over the Summer

Hi guys, I’m going to build mass over the summer. I’m 147 lbs, and somewhere in the 5’7-5’8 range. Here’s the caloric breakdown.

40% Carbs - 1128.96 calories
30% Protein - 846.72 calories
30% Fats - 846.72 calories

147 x 16 = 2352 x .2 = 470.4

2822.30 Calories for Mass Building

Meal 1

One cup of oats w/ berries and eggs

Meal 2

Cold cuts/can of tuna with one banana, one apple, and one orange

Meal 3

Sandwich with yam

Meal 4

Periworkout

Meal 5

Meat with salad, and olive oil and nuts

Meal 6

Meat/Protein Shake with nuts

282.24 grams of carbs = 56 grams x 5

211.68 grams of protien = 35 grams x 6

94.08 grams of fat = 31 grams x 3

Any input?

I don’t see a problem with anything there. Good luck.

(Make sure you’re going heavy as hell on everything, don’t puss out and you’ll have success.)

go get em tiger

Phill

looks good to me
good luck bro

Adjust calories according to progress. Looks like a good place to start. You might need to bump it up a little if you’re not seeing proper gains.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I plan on checking weight every week or every two weeks for weight gain, and then adjust caloric intake for further gains. Once again thanks guys.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
Hi guys, I’m going to build mass over the summer. I’m 147 lbs, and somewhere in the 5’7-5’8 range. Here’s the caloric breakdown.

40% Carbs - 1128.96 calories
30% Protein - 846.72 calories
30% Fats - 846.72 calories

147 x 16 = 2352 x .2 = 470.4

2822.30 Calories for Mass Building

Meal 1

One cup of oats w/ berries and eggs

Meal 2

Cold cuts/can of tuna with one banana, one apple, and one orange

Meal 3

Sandwich with yam

Meal 4

Periworkout

Meal 5

Meat with salad, and olive oil and nuts

Meal 6

Meat/Protein Shake with nuts

282.24 grams of carbs = 56 grams x 5

211.68 grams of protien = 35 grams x 6

94.08 grams of fat = 31 grams x 3

Any input?

[/quote]

As said, adjust calorie intake if you’re not putting on any muscle.
Asian buffets, steak and eggs, and pizza is your new friend this summer.

I see nothing wrong with eating a whole large pizza. lol I’m 175lb. with 9.7% Body fat. You can see my abs good even without flexing and I eat about 3-4 whole pizza’s a week. Maybe I should stop doing that… lol SO far no problems though.

[quote]JonEightPackGuy wrote:
I see nothing wrong with eating a whole large pizza. lol I’m 175lb. with 9.7% Body fat. You can see my abs good even without flexing and I eat about 3-4 whole pizza’s a week. Maybe I should stop doing that… lol SO far no problems though.[/quote]

9.7 huh? sure it isnt 9.6? lol

i’m about your weight at 5’7 and thats from coming up about 25 pounds in the past year. that won’t be enough to put on weight, i tend to eat around 3500 on workout days and 2900 on non workout days.

hey hows it going?

I would try to add a bit more calories in. I’m eating around that much right now and I’m gaining pretty slow with barely any body fat. Plus you are few inches taller than me.

You could always cut back if you are gaining too much fat, but you can’t make muscle grow faster by eating more calories later.

hope that helps.

I found out I’m 5’7. I’m almost postive I’m an endomorph, so I want to play a little more conservative on the calories. I’m trying out for this week, come Monday morning, I’ll weigh myself and see what happens.

P.S. any meal suggestions? It would help with this quality mass diet I’m on.

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
P.S. any meal suggestions? It would help with this quality mass diet I’m on.[/quote]

for breakfast i have 4 slices of bacon with a large serving of runner beans followed 30mins later by a protein shake containing whey / oatmeal / banana / coco powder.

for the rest of my meals (excluding dinner) i find it easier to cook up a bulk load of food at once. i’ll cook 8 chicken breasts at once with some bog standard sauce and that lasts me for 2 days. you can do the same with beef or any meat, if you want to mix it up use a slow cooker.

i’m a bit of a selective eater so i generally eat a lot of the same food on rotation. on workout days i eat carbs in all meals before 8pm. on non work out days i limit it to breakfast and the first two meals of the day.

i’m a bit of JB advocate of vegetables with every meal as well.

if you keep it simple it makes it a lot easyer to do every day

[quote]detazathoth wrote:
P.S. any meal suggestions? It would help with this quality mass diet I’m on.[/quote]

A good breakfast I cook when I’m adding mass is usually an American version of the typical irish breakfast:

2 slices sprouted grain toast

6 organic large omega 3 eggs scrambled with some green peppers, garlic, and onion

1 can Aunt Amy homemade baked beans

Organic italian/irish sausage

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:

You could always cut back if you are gaining too much fat, but you can’t make muscle grow faster by eating more calories later.
[/quote]

What???

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
HJLau75 wrote:

You could always cut back if you are gaining too much fat, but you can’t make muscle grow faster by eating more calories later.

What???[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I think what he’s trying to say is: yes, you must overeat to gain weight but there comes a certain point where muscle isn’t going to grow any faster than the body will let it. In other words, if you’re gaining lean weight pretty steadily on a 5000 calorie diet, 6000 calories a day isn’t necessarily going to make the process go any faster.

In the end, it’s all about finding the numbers that work for you personally.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
detazathoth wrote:
P.S. any meal suggestions? It would help with this quality mass diet I’m on.

A good breakfast I cook when I’m adding mass is usually an American version of the typical irish breakfast:

2 slices sprouted grain toast

6 organic large omega 3 eggs scrambled with some green peppers, garlic, and onion

1 can Aunt Amy homemade baked beans

Organic italian/irish sausage[/quote]

Interesting. I was never aware beans were consumed as part of a “typical” Irish breakfast. Might have to give it a go sometime.

Thanks guys. So far so good, I’ve been noticing some slight progress already. My numbers on my lift have all gone up, gotta love carbs. Haha

[quote]CC wrote:
hockechamp14 wrote:
HJLau75 wrote:

You could always cut back if you are gaining too much fat, but you can’t make muscle grow faster by eating more calories later.

What???

I could be wrong, but I think what he’s trying to say is: yes, you must overeat to gain weight but there comes a certain point where muscle isn’t going to grow any faster than the body will let it.

In other words, if you’re gaining lean weight pretty steadily on a 5000 calorie diet, 6000 calories a day isn’t necessarily going to make the process go any faster.

In the end, it’s all about finding the numbers that work for you personally.

[/quote]

Actually reading that again, he’s saying you can’t make up for lost time building muscle by eating more later. Well you can save yourself time later losing fat if you adjust your calories slower. Nothing comes without any drawbacks.