Building Mass and HIIT?

For one thing, it’s no joke, it slims you up fast! I just tried it for the past 2 weeks and I’m hooked,(I used to do it all the time before I started lifting but I have been told to stop all cardio while bulking) I can actually tell the difference in my bulking fat every couple of days!

It REALLY works fast. I’m sorry but “Jogging” is obsolete as far as fat loss.

Second, I REALLY like the idea that I am this big guy tearing down the street at moch 10. I like to feel INTIMIDATING. Imagine what people think, “DAMN, don’t piss off THAT guy…”.

I like to find skinny muscleless “runners” and prance past them with huge strides like it’s nothing with a huge smile on my face. (honestly, in my experience, I think it’s easier to run with bigger muscles. My arms seem to carry me farther in each stride)

Third, sprinting my ass of for extended periods of time has always been my drug of choice. I get to see myself whiz past everything and when I am done I feel “High”… and now I am finding out that it does not sacrifice gains in muscle mass nearly as much as regular, boring, half-assed, but torturous running does.

What is your experience with it? Can you still build mass well while doing HIIT? That’s the one thing I’m skeptical with.

Of course you can still build mass with it. But, it will require a higher caloric intake.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Of course you can still build mass with it. But, it will require a higher caloric intake.[/quote]

That’s where my skepticism is. The need for more calories because it is cardio… but what I have read people say that HIIT utilizes energy differently than typical cardio and that it is better for mass building. I’m not sure whether I believe it.

…but I guess, to be more specific, I should ask: Can you really use HIIT to cut-up at the same time as building more mass, like I have read about? I read that HIIT does not rob you of calories like “regular” cardio does.

They say that it burns more body fat rather than of intaken calories and that it is not yet really understood of how it does so. Being that it is not yet understood I am asking people who may have experience with HIIT in combination with bulking.

I feel that increasing my caloric intake would defeat the purpose of cutting.

I’ll find out in a few more weeks though.

This is really pathetic. hahaha

[quote]ImmortalAttitude wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Of course you can still build mass with it. But, it will require a higher caloric intake.

That’s where my skepticism is. The need for more calories because it is cardio… but what I have read people say that HIIT utilizes energy differently than typical cardio and that it is better for mass building. I’m not sure whether I believe it.

…but I guess, to be more specific, I should ask: Can you really use HIIT to cut-up at the same time as building more mass, like I have read about? I read that HIIT does not rob you of calories like “regular” cardio does.

They say that it burns more body fat rather than of intaken calories and that it is not yet really understood of how it does so. Being that it is not yet understood I am asking people who may have experience with HIIT in combination with bulking.

I feel that increasing my caloric intake would defeat the purpose of cutting.

I’ll find out in a few more weeks though.[/quote]

Holy hell, what?

are you looking to put on size or cut?

Just try it, if it works for you, you wont need any of our opinions.

I’ll just chime in my little experience with HIIT and muscle building:

Back when I was playing college football, we did HIIT almost 4 days a week before lifting. It definitely did NOT hinder my muscle gains (but then again, I was taking in sufficient calories, because believe sprinting does burn decent calories)

HIIT helped increase my explosion and total body strength in regards to lifting, and lifting lowered my 40yd time and explosion from the line. They complemented eachother well. After our off season I was up from 188lbs. to 205 lbs. with barely noticeable BF gain.

100M runners sprint like clockwork, and they have awesome physiques. Granted, they aren’t Coleman, but they are extremely lean with enough mass to make their 165 lbs. look 220 lbs.