Building Lean Muscle on Vegan Diet

Exactly. I did a lot of reading about this but I do not think there is clear evidence. I am avoiding it basically just in case. I ate tons of soy in the past few years, up to 80% of my daily protein came from either tofu or soy milk.

1 Like

The most assertive statement I’ve read on the detriments of soy is,

Toxicologists estimate that an infant fed exclusively on soy formula is getting the equivalent of three to five birth control pills–per day! One study found that soy fed babies had 13,000 to 22,000 times more estrogen in thei blood than milk-fed babies! That is according to the Office of the Swiss Federal Health Service Bulletin #28, July 20, 1992 and the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1998

But I also remember that I had limited success following up on either citation and I’m always skeptical when there is only one study making a certain statement.

1 Like

There are a bunch of human studies but there methods and results differed widely.

When I became a vegan 6 or 7 years ago my go to source for protein was soy products. Overtime, my body started to reject it, so now I limit my intake of it and focus on other sources of protein.

I think my biggest problem is I’m not consuming enough calories for my workouts- I’m missing something. Most of the time when I’m lifting I’m extremely hungry. I do fuel my body before I go to the gym, but still feel hungry throughout my workout.

Do you take supplements? What kind of pre/post workout do you use? Thank you.

1 Like

I did not take any supplements until about one or two years ago. Now I take a vitamin B complex, vitamin D, K2, zinc, magnesium, sometimes iron, and I started experimenting with DHEA and boron.

I forgot to reply to you directly. My response is above.

Thank you. I’ll read up on DHEA and boron.

1 Like