Building Grip

[quote]squat69 wrote:
what’s the point of developing strength in something such as the deadlift if you couldn’t actually do it in a meet because of weak grip? [/quote]

you must have ignored the posts above you.

a) this may surprise you, but not everyone who deadlifts does it for the purpose of competing in powerlifting meets.

b) do you really think it’s best to hinder gains in other muscle groups simply because of a lack of grip strength? Can’t he work on his grip on some sets AND use straps to build other muscles in other sets? Or do supplementary grip work?

Seriously, this is common sense. Look at the bigger picture.

EDIT: I just looked at your stats. You’re 16 years old, and don’t have experience with heavy weights, so you can be cut some slack. Maybe you can learn something here. I would definitely recommend doing more reading than advising on these boards though. Your post reveals your immaturity.

[quote]squat69 wrote:
I wouldn’t invest in a pair of straps, what’s the point of developing strength in something such as the deadlift if you couldn’t actually do it in a meet because of weak grip? I usually devote about 20-30 min after every deadlift session just for developing grip. Heavy shrugs, farmers walks, timed holds, front raises using two 25 plates(just pinch the plates together and do a front raise), and doing lifts with the bulky part of the dumbbell. I usually like to do my light to moderate sets (135-250) with double overhand, then move onto an overhand underhand grip. I find that this has all improved my grip tremendously. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Why would you allow straps to prevent you from completing a deadlift in a meet?

I feel like the argument against straps is that if you use them improperly, they don’t work. This is true of all equipment. If you put your shoes on the wrong feet, you’ll fall down. However, when you use equipment properly, it is an asset, not a liability.

My personal opinion is its ok to use straps at least for your working sets or maybe going for a PR. I never use them but I suppose there fine just don’t use them for every single exercise you do.

Well to be honest. I"m not working for a powerlifting contest. My first and foremost is I wasnt to get to 220 lbs then do a cut back. It’s a slow process. My legs need the most work of everything Right now I am 180 lbs so I have a good deal to go. After I hit my goal I will thing about the other stuff. I’m doing all this for two reason.

1. Me. I like the way I feel now and look

2. I like the way people look at me now that I’m in better shape. I’m not huge but I am 5’ 5 3/4" at 180 lbs. so not bad but not beed enough. My first goal was 210 and cut back to 200 lbs but same body was telling me 220 should be a better goal. So I said well why not push my self a little more.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:
what’s the point of developing strength in something such as the deadlift if you couldn’t actually do it in a meet because of weak grip? [/quote]

a) this may surprise you, but not everyone who deadlifts does it for the purpose of competing in powerlifting meets.

b) do you really think it’s best to hinder gains in other muscle groups simply because of a lack of grip strength? Can’t he work on his grip on some sets AND use straps to build other muscles in other sets? Or do supplementary grip work?

EDIT: I just looked at your stats. You’re 16 years old, and don’t have experience with heavy weights, so you can be cut some slack. Maybe you can learn something here. I would definitely recommend doing more reading than advising on these boards though. Your post reveals your immaturity.[/quote]

I wouldn’t classify it as immaturity, I really wasn’t looking at it from a bodybuilder’s point of view or just for the use of building muscle. I was just thinking about in a real life situation if you had to deadlift something, you wouldn’t have time to go find your gym bag and get your straps.

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

EDIT: I just looked at your stats. You’re 16 years old, and don’t have experience with heavy weights, so you can be cut some slack. Maybe you can learn something here. I would definitely recommend doing more reading than advising on these boards though. Your post reveals your immaturity.[/quote]

I wouldn’t classify it as immaturity, I really wasn’t looking at it from a bodybuilder’s point of view or just for the use of building muscle. I was just thinking about in a real life situation if you had to deadlift something, you wouldn’t have time to go find your gym bag and get your straps.[/quote]

I have never needed to deadlift something in a real life situation. I have had to move plenty of heavy shit, but never heavy shit that was equally weighed on both ends with a thin pole in the middle that was easy to grip.

If you can deadlift 600lbs, with or without straps, you’ll have no problem helping your buddies move a couch. Don’t sweat it.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

I wouldn’t classify it as immaturity, I really wasn’t looking at it from a bodybuilder’s point of view or just for the use of building muscle. I was just thinking about in a real life situation if you had to deadlift something, you wouldn’t have time to go find your gym bag and get your straps.[/quote]

I have never needed to deadlift something in a real life situation. I have had to move plenty of heavy shit, but never heavy shit that was equally weighed on both ends with a thin pole in the middle that was easy to grip.

If you can deadlift 600lbs, with or without straps, you’ll have no problem helping your buddies move a couch. Don’t sweat it.
[/quote]
haha I’ve had to move trailers and car parts so I just apply deadlift form to them. Just a difference of opinions. I don’t like to use straps but that’s me. Good luck with your lifting!

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[/quote]
haha I’ve had to move trailers and car parts so I just apply deadlift form to them. Just a difference of opinions. I don’t like to use straps but that’s me. Good luck with your lifting![/quote]

I would call that more an odd object lift than a deadlift, but you are right, deadlifts will definitely carryover to that, to include strength built with straps.

I would say just don’t rule things out. Everything is just a tool for the toolbox. Once I gotover my ego and started using straps, my deadlift sho up 100lbs in competition.

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[/quote]
haha I’ve had to move trailers and car parts so I just apply deadlift form to them. Just a difference of opinions. I don’t like to use straps but that’s me. Good luck with your lifting![/quote]

I would call that more an odd object lift than a deadlift, but you are right, deadlifts will definitely carryover to that, to include strength built with straps.

I would say just don’t rule things out. Everything is just a tool for the toolbox. Once I gotover my ego and started using straps, my deadlift sho up 100lbs in competition.[/quote]
When you started using straps did you feel that your grip was hindering your progress in anyway?

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[/quote]

I would say just don’t rule things out. Everything is just a tool for the toolbox. Once I gotover my ego and started using straps, my deadlift sho up 100lbs in competition.[/quote]
When you started using straps did you feel that your grip was hindering your progress in anyway?[/quote]

No, because I still trained my grip outside of deadlifting, as I believe all trainees should do. I can still close a CoC 2.5 and do timed holds with a 2, and this is enough for me to not drop any deads.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]squat69 wrote:

[/quote]

When you started using straps did you feel that your grip was hindering your progress in anyway?[/quote]

No, because I still trained my grip outside of deadlifting, as I believe all trainees should do. I can still close a CoC 2.5 and do timed holds with a 2, and this is enough for me to not drop any deads.[/quote]
perhaps I’ll invest in some straps in the near future.

Have any of ya’ll noticed much difference between brands of straps?

csulli’s advice was spot on in my humble opinion.

i love fat gripz and use them some assistance work in almost every session, even some cleans if you really want to hate yourself (except mine are stuck in canada and my forearms are shrinking rapido)

personally i found the thing that blasted my grip most was rope pushdowns and rope curls (i can hear the titters already). just forget the idiotic balls at the ends, chalk up and grip the rope in the middle and pyramid up til your grip or your arms give out. ive never had any trouble with grip in the deadlift (i would say never use straps for max efforts) but i found i couldnt do a rope pullup and that made me puny so i started doing these and lo and behold within a couple of weeks my grip was no longer the limiting factor.

pinch-grip “t-bar” rows are great, especially if you have access to bumpers. i like to do a variation of this as a finisher which consists of setting the bar up in a corner as usual, throw a red band over it then grip the bar with one hand in front of the other, explode up like a normal row, release the bar at the top, swap your hands and catch. doing this for a nasty strip set is one of my favourite finishers on a big pull day