Building Explosive Power

If I want to focus on building explosive power using squats, should I use less weight and focus on moving the weight as fast as I can?. Or use lots of weight and just try my best to squat right? Which will give me the most benefits with regards to explosive power?

I’m inclined to say both, the higher your max weight is, the more weight you are going to be able to move at quick speeds, and working speed squats on top of that will only help more.

[quote]kazuma wrote:
If I want to focus on building explosive power using squats, should I use less weight and focus on moving the weight as fast as I can?. Or use lots of weight and just try my best to squat right? Which will give me the most benefits with regards to explosive power?[/quote]

Both. Jump squats would work too.

[quote]kazuma wrote:
If I want to focus on building explosive power using squats, should I use less weight and focus on moving the weight as fast as I can?. Or use lots of weight and just try my best to squat right? Which will give me the most benefits with regards to explosive power?[/quote]

What kind of squats do you do? Oly, powerlifting? Do you use boxes? I personally use the conjugate method so I can reap the benefits of both(Max Effort and Dynamic) simultaneously, but it may not be the best alternative for you, more background info please. What are you training for?

[quote]kazuma wrote:

What kind of squats do you do? Oly, powerlifting? Do you use boxes? I personally use the conjugate method so I can reap the benefits of both(Max Effort and Dynamic) simultaneously, but it may not be the best alternative for you, more background info please. What are you training for?

Trying to build explosive power for tennis. Any suggestions?

[quote]kazuma wrote:
Trying to build explosive power for tennis. Any suggestions?[/quote]

your goal should not be to “build explosive power,” it should be to become a better tennis player. I know it’s just a technicality, but it changes your mindset. If you know oly lifts go with those, otherwise go with med balls and plyos. what program are you currently on and have used in the past? What level of play? Give us the whole picture.

I think any power lifter will tell you all lifts should be done explosively, no matter what the weight, it just looks to the uninformed observer like you are moving slow when the weights are heavy.

Try using bands or chains. Visit the westside barbell site for info on how to use them and where to buy them.