T Nation

Building Calluses

I’ve got what I’m sure are baby calluses on my hands, and I’m wondering how I should be nurturing them. For example, when some of them get ripped off during a lift, should I

a) continue through the pain over the next few workout days
b) switch to lifts that don’t hurt my hands (e.g. back squat)
c) wear lifting gloves while the broken calluses heal

Wear gloves while waiting for them to heal. It’s not that complicated.

Ceiling cat thinks you’re kind of being a pussy.

[quote]LiamBrady wrote:
Ceiling cat thinks you’re kind of being a pussy.[/quote]

+2

[quote]LiamBrady wrote:
Ceiling cat thinks you’re kind of being a pussy.[/quote]

LOL @ ceiling cat.

Oh, and x3

“LIFT THE PAIN! PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY” Kisses each biceps while flexing

On a serious note, just wear some gloves until they’re good again.

www.bodybuilding.com/ Go here, they will answer your question seriously.

PS: grow a pair.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
LiamBrady wrote:

LOL @ ceiling cat.

Oh, and x3[/quote]

x4.

Vag.

If you calouse is solid and it rips it shouldn’t bleed. It it does bleed just wash it once you have finished your set then put some toilet paper on it and carry on lifting.

If the calouse does not bleed but hurts then rip off some sleeves off a shit t shirt and wrap them around your hands.

Simple.

Ceiling cat was just wondering whether calluses grow better off freshly-ripped calluses, since ceiling cat is a beginner.

Ceiling cat also hates gloves b/c they kill ceiling cat’s grip when ceiling cat deadlifts. But ceiling cat would rather not be a x4 pussy vag, so ceiling cat will wear gloves.

[quote]mathboxers wrote:
Ceiling cat was just wondering whether calluses grow better off freshly-ripped calluses, since ceiling cat is a beginner.

Ceiling cat also hates gloves b/c they kill ceiling cat’s grip when ceiling cat deadlifts. But ceiling cat would rather not be a x4 pussy vag, so ceiling cat will wear gloves.[/quote]

Yes gloves make deadlifting harder, but so does having your hands bleeding.

Do whatever you like until they heal. But there’s no reason they should be tearing off. You can file them down, bite off a few layers, or anything like that. Just don’t let them build up to the point where they’re ripping.

I always pick at mine. Not sure if that’s healthy or not.

My doctor told me the calcification in my calluses could break off into my body and…well, i don’t know. i tuned him out. What the F— does he know?

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Do whatever you like until they heal. But there’s no reason they should be tearing off. You can file them down, bite off a few layers, or anything like that. Just don’t let them build up to the point where they’re ripping. [/quote]

Oh, you’re supposed to file 'em down or whatnot? Maybe that’s what’s been happening…thanks for mentioning!

[quote]mathboxers wrote:
But ceiling cat would rather not be a x4 pussy vag, so ceiling cat will wear gloves.[/quote]

LOL. Good sport.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Itchy wrote:
LiamBrady wrote:

LOL @ ceiling cat.

Oh, and x3

x4.

Vag.[/quote]
x5
I have basically permanent bumps like I’ve been doing construction for years.

pumis stone is good for calluses and filing them.

gloves make the grip harder because it makes what your hands are gripping effectively wider. so it’ll improve your grip strength in time.

you could always just use crazy glue. runners use it on blisters. if it pops they’ll fill it with glue, put the skin back in place. let it set, and keep running.

could probably do that with your calluses.

Are you seriously thinking about skipping an exercise because of a open calluses? You better get use to it.

Search up lynx grips.

Like someone else said, you need to take care of your calluses and file them down, or peel them. The only time I’ve torn them up was when I let them get too thick and they started to peel.

I would avoid gloves. If you want a better grip, do actual grip work. Don’t be a pussy and claim you’re wearing gloves to improve grip strength, as someone else suggested.

If you want to protect your torn up hands, you can try to close things up with super glue, or cover them with some medical tape to keep it clean. If you’re taking good care of your hands, you shouldn’t be tearing calluses too frequently.