T Nation

Building an Online Store

Anyone know of any good sites where one can set-up/build a store with no “coding” experience? Sites like Ebay will not do I am looking to have my own site.

Depends on what you’re selling.

There’s Etsy.com, there’s ArtFire.com

I set up and run my own onlineshop.

There are 100s of open source shop software programs like xcommerce which you just load on a server, type in your product discriptions, load pictures and go for it. My software cost me about 200 bucks and has been running for over 7 years without an update of any kind.

“Open Source” is the key here as you can buy add on modules for pennies on the internet, and really customize your shop as you need. Here you just have to open the appropriate php file and cut and paste the new code where it has to go. If I could do this so can you.

[quote]Cuso wrote:

There are 100s of open source shop software programs like xcommerce which you just load on a server, type in your product discriptions, load pictures and go for it. My software cost me about 200 bucks and has been running for over 7 years without an update of any kind.

“Open Source” is the key here as you can buy add on modules for pennies on the internet, and really customize your shop as you need. Here you just have to open the appropriate php file and cut and paste the new code where it has to go. If I could do this so can you.

[/quote]

How’s the income from this? Is it enough to support yourself on or is it more of a side income thing? How much work is it to maintain the site/business?

Just curious as I’ve had a couple of ideas for ecommerce sites and was wondering if it it could a good source of relatively passive income.

[quote]DN90 wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[/quote]

How’s the income from this? Is it enough to support yourself on or is it more of a side income thing? How much work is it to maintain the site/business?

Just curious as I’ve had a couple of ideas for ecommerce sites and was wondering if it it could a good source of relatively passive income.[/quote]

It was never planned as a stand alone but as one part of my complete business structure. If I was living alone with low to moderate private expenditures, it would be enough. I update the products and prices on the site twice a year and do weekly news stuff. Takes about 3 hours a week because my grammer in German sucks.

If you’re not a tech guy, you might have to pay some monthly fees or setup for the store. Back when I worked for my first web hosting company, Miva was very popular with our customers. Most of the users were able to set the store up without being very technical. Personally, I haven’t used them though.

What type of product are you trying to sell?

http://www.mivamerchant.com/featured-stores

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[quote]DN90 wrote:

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[/quote]

Just curious as I’ve had a couple of ideas for ecommerce sites and was wondering if it it could a good source of relatively passive income.[/quote]

It was never planned as a stand alone but as one part of my complete business structure. If I was living alone with low to moderate private expenditures, it would be enough. I update the products and prices on the site twice a year and do weekly news stuff. Takes about 3 hours a week because my grammer in German sucks.[/quote]

Cool, thanks for the info.

I guess it depends on what you’re selling and the size of that market, but at least it can be an easy way to make some money once the site is built, set up, and has a strong customer base.

[quote]Cuso wrote:

[/quote]

This is what I am looking for. Somewhere I can add the backgrounds/themes, shopping cart just by clicking on my choices.

Do you still buy a domain name and is the site yours? Or for example does the address bar show up: WWW.Food.wordpress.COM

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

This is what I am looking for. Somewhere I can add the backgrounds/themes, shopping cart just by clicking on my choices.

Do you still buy a domain name and is the site yours? Or for example does the address bar show up: WWW.Food.wordpress.COM[/quote]

I first thought out the company name then checked DNIC if the name as a domain was available, and after I got both matched up (I had to change the name to match an available domain) I just registered the domain name and it’s mine. Forever. So I’ve just got www.mycompanyname.com

The name should have something to do with what you sell like www.lagoodfood.com if you sell good food in LA (or just run a greasy spoon) so that the search machine robots pick it up and categorize it correctly.

That all you’re getting for free. Sorry.