T Nation

Building an AR-15?

Has anyone one here built an AR-15 style rifle?

I am thinking of ordering a complete lower through an FFL and buying the other parts on-line.

I am trying to get a feel for the level of difficulty.

Oh god, It’s just as easy as tying your shoes. if you have never done it before its pretty easy to learn.

This question should make every military member laugh. How many times have we taken apart and put back together our weapons…

Building one from parts is not quite as easy as field-stripping and reassembling. It’s not very difficult, but you may run into problems with parts not quite fitting. My suggestion would be to talk to a gun dealer in your area, or find a good detailed book on the subject. The dealer option(assuming he has experience with the AR-15) would obvioulsy be the better of the two.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:

I am thinking of ordering a complete lower through an FFL and buying the other parts on-line.

I am trying to get a feel for the level of difficulty.[/quote]

You should definitely do this the other way around. Buy a complete upper and assemble the lower. Assembling an upper can be difficult and require some tools that you probably don’t have, but assembling a lower is pretty simple. See the forums at ar15.com for more info and instructions.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

You should definitely do this the other way around. Buy a complete upper and assemble the lower. Assembling an upper can be difficult and require some tools that you probably don’t have, but assembling a lower is pretty simple. See the forums at ar15.com for more info and instructions.[/quote]

Ok, So should I order a stripped lower receiver through an FFL?

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

You should definitely do this the other way around. Buy a complete upper and assemble the lower. Assembling an upper can be difficult and require some tools that you probably don’t have, but assembling a lower is pretty simple. See the forums at ar15.com for more info and instructions.

Ok, So should I order a stripped lower receiver through an FFL?[/quote]

Yes. If you really want to do some building on your own, for your first build I recommend getting a stripped lower from an FFL and a lower parts kit to construct a complete lower, and purchasing a completed, tested upper assembly. You can probably assemble the lower receiver in a couple of hours using standard household tools.

Check out www.del-ton.com. On the left you’ll see a “rifle kits” section. You can configure a rifle kit that will come with a completed and tested upper assembly, a butt stock, and a lower parts kit. Then all you need to do is get a stripped lower from your FFL and slap it all together using the instructions stickied at the top of the ar15.com forums. The del-ton.com kits are very high quality, and there are enough options there that you can go bare-bones or tricked out. Have fun.

I have nothing to say other than building your own assault rifle is pretty badass.

http://gunbroker.com/

This is an auction site like ebay, its where I ordered my ak from. They have a few deals on stripped lowers and there are a lot of complete uppers.