Building a Squat Rack.

Im not going to spend 500+ dollars on a squat rack. So I was thinking about building one like this.

This looks like a sturdy squat rack, he even sais hes dropped 365 in it. I squat about 100 pounds more than that, so I was thinking about getting thicker bars, and doubling up on them. What do you guys think?

looks cool, seems narrow but u can make it wider of course, id be careful though of making sure u dont skip any detail i know a good rack from bodybuilding.com is only 350$ and free shipin :slight_smile:

Here is mine built it for $150

http://praetorianthrower.wetpaint.com/page/Power+Rack

It could work.

Though as nate said you can find racks for relatively cheap. I got a rack for $325 at my door.

Heres the link…(well, it used to be $325, hah, everything’s going up!)

http://www.thatshealthy.com/PowerLine_Power_Rack_PPR200X_p/powerline%20ppr200x.htm

[quote]S McCracken wrote:

http://praetorianthrower.wetpaint.com/page/Power+Rack[/quote]

Nice setup you got there!

http://praetorianthrower.wetpaint.com/page/Power+Rack[/quote]

Wow man, that is really nice. The only thing is my friend works in a lumber yard, so I can get wood for free. But now that I see yours im interested. I have no expirience in welding though.

I hae dropped 600lbs doing rack pulls and only bent the safty stops slightly. Almost any welding shop would do this type of work for about 50 buck. You could bolt it together instead of welding its just a bit more steal.

now do heavy lifts clos to the uprights havent bent it again doin it this way.

I hae dropped 600lbs doing rack pulls and only bent the safty stops slightly. Almost any welding shop would do this type of work for about 50 buck. You could bolt it together instead of welding its just a bit more steal.

now do heavy lifts clos to the uprights havent bent it again doin it this way.[/quote]

Ok, I think im going to try this. But im sure I will have questions when I am doing this. I hope you wont mind me PM you.

Just buy a used rack.

I’m not saying you can’t make a semi-decent rack out of dimensional lumber, but I would not trust that one.

“The main frame is made of 2x6’s, which I have WOOD GLUED together.”

The major problem is in the bracketry holding it together. That stuff will not hold if it’s bolted to the floor and you come crashing back in the rack. It would probably be an ok temp rack for a beginner, but I would be afraid to squat any serious weight in it. Confidence in your equipment is a big factor when it comes to lifting heavy weight.

I wouldn’t want a rack made of strut bar or angle iron either. Strut bar is not designed to be weight bearing. 1/8" angle iron is not the strongest stuff either. Don’t believe me? Grap yourself a 4 foot chunk like the one in the picture, put one end in a vice, and see how much force it takes to bend it. The same can be done with the strut bar.

If you want to build one, you need to build the whole think out of 2x2x11gauge steel tubing, at a minimum. You need quality welds and gussets at each junction point. A quality finish must be used to prevent rust. With the current cost of steel, you will find that buying a used rack is much cheaper than building one, even if you can do all the work yourself.

I agree with Tedro. A good rack can literally save your life, not something to go cheap on.

[quote] Matt wrote:
I agree with Tedro. A good rack can literally save your life, not something to go cheap on.[/quote]

Ok, I see your guyses points. Its just I cant afford one right now. I jutb bought some more chains and weights. I cant squat that heavy because I usually dump. Ive been looking at craigs list hopefully theyll have something.

[quote]TheBig3 wrote:
Matt wrote:
I agree with Tedro. A good rack can literally save your life, not something to go cheap on.

Ok, I see your guyses points. Its just I cant afford one right now. I jutb bought some more chains and weights. I cant squat that heavy because I usually dump. Ive been looking at craigs list hopefully theyll have something.[/quote]

If you’re continually missing weights when you’re squatting that’s something you need to address.

For now, try and save up for a good rack and keep an eye on the used ads.

I think I’ve missed 3 or 4 squats in the past year and my squat’s up around 125lb (475 → 600) in that time. So you don’t need to push to the point of missing weights to make progress.

Hey all, I Agree with tedro, I built my girlfriends home gym (oly Lifter) about three weeks ago. Found a used power rack (Find somebody at a “commercial” gym and ask if they have old equipment). I found a gym, that like most commercial gyms got rid of there power rack and had it sitting in storage. Its older but its big, heavy, and sturdy. I got the rack and built the platform all for under 250 bucks.

Below is the ol’ ladies training garage…Now my car doesnt get to come inside

[quote]bearcat1485 wrote:
Hey all, I Agree with tedro, I built my girlfriends home gym (oly Lifter) about three weeks ago. Found a used power rack (Find somebody at a “commercial” gym and ask if they have old equipment). I found a gym, that like most commercial gyms got rid of there power rack and had it sitting in storage. Its older but its big, heavy, and sturdy. I got the rack and built the platform all for under 250 bucks.

[/quote]

I wouldnt have any idea where to find a used one. I e-mailed a few fellows on craigs list, but im not expecting much.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
TheBig3 wrote:
Matt wrote:

Ok, I see your guyses points. Its just I cant afford one right now. I jutb bought some more chains and weights. I cant squat that heavy because I usually dump. Ive been looking at craigs list hopefully theyll have something.

If you’re continually missing weights when you’re squatting that’s something you need to address.

For now, try and save up for a good rack and keep an eye on the used ads.

I think I’ve missed 3 or 4 squats in the past year and my squat’s up around 125lb (475 → 600) in that time. So you don’t need to push to the point of missing weights to make progress.[/quote]

Nope, I hit PR’s all the time, even if I just get my last rep I go for another, no pain no gain.

[quote]TheBig3 wrote:
bearcat1485 wrote:

I wouldnt have any idea where to find a used one. I e-mailed a few fellows on craigs list, but im not expecting much.[/quote]

Just keep checking craigslist. There are a lot of nitwits on there, but if you check every day you will be able to spot the deals and the people serious about getting rid of their stuff.

if ur just doing squats… y not use bricks?

2 parallel walls… one at the height u take the bar at, and the other at whatever height u want the safety at. this would be a quick and id assume very cheap fix. and im sure it would be very strong.

Scott

I woudn’t make it of wood, it’s unrelyable. When a steel rack isn’t going to hold a weight, your going to see it by the rounding of the steel. Wood just breaks when there’s to much tension.