T Nation

Building a Shed Gym for My Girlfriend

My girlfriend has expressed a pretty strong desire to get in shape and start woking out. I am currently a member of a gym for the next few months but I have decided to invest in a very low budget shed gym for her and eventually when my gym membership runs out in a few months, start training in there too and invest a little bit more into it.

My girlfriend is extremely supportive and has always been amazing and loyal, I really want to surprise her and have this set up for her in 2 weeks when she gets back from a weekend stay at her parents. We have discussed the idea but i want to surprise her with it.

The ceiling height is 70-71 inches and the shed is around 85 inches wide. This makes what she wants rather difficult as she wants to squat and bench, press etc. My max budget for the initial investment is £150 and I will need these things:

1. A small rack with spotter bars

2. A pair of olympic dumbbell handles (I already have an olympic bar and plates already in the shed as well as a utility bench)

3. Some kind of hard matting (the shed floor is made of wood pannels some are a couple cm higher than others, need a level surface

Here is my shoestring budget equipment, will this do for a basic routine consisting of squats, some overhead press variation probably seated, bench, rowing (the dumbbells) with some accessory stuff with the dumbbells?

The rack - extremely cheap, not the best, bust usable - £80

The dumbbell 2x bars and collars - cheap but seem fine - £33

The flooring - seems pretty good quality - £45

comes to £157 - but rises to £172 with shipping for all the stuff.

Look OK for a starting home gym?

Yes.

Just ordered it.

barbell?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
barbell?[/quote]

As I mentioned I already have one and weight plates.

[quote]DBADNB1 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
barbell?[/quote]

As I mentioned I already have one and weight plates.[/quote]

ah so you did, sorry, missed it

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]DBADNB1 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
barbell?[/quote]

ah so you did, sorry, missed it[/quote]

No worries dude. What do you think of the set up? OK ?

Yes. Can get in excellent shape with just a barbell and bodyweight moves, let alone dumbells.

A couple looped/jumpstretch type bands of diiferent resistance is something to look into also

How should I go with regards to programming for her?

She has very good genetics, a huge ass, enormous calves. First time she tried exercising she knocked out like 15 full ROM dips with a small 10kg assistance band supporting her and knocked out like 20 ATG goblet squats holding a 45lb kettlebell. She has some beastly Russian genetics, all the women in her family have really feminine faces, enormous calves, big glutes and thick upper backs, none of them even exercise or have lifted a weight in their lives.

I was thinking about a 3 day a week full body routine and some type of cardio, problem is I am a beginner and don’t feel equipped to coach her, but she won’t go to a gym (insecure about her giant calves and muscular upper back) or have a trainer and just wants to workout at home with me teaching her the lifts and giving her a routine to follow. I was thinking maybe getting her to do GSLP like me or 5/3/1.

[quote]DBADNB1 wrote:
How should I go with regards to programming for her?

She has very good genetics, a huge ass, enormous calves. First time she tried exercising she knocked out like 15 full ROM dips with a small 10kg assistance band supporting her and knocked out like 20 ATG goblet squats holding a 45lb kettlebell. She has some beastly Russian genetics, all the women in her family have really feminine faces, enormous calves, big glutes and thick upper backs, none of them even exercise or have lifted a weight in their lives.

I was thinking about a 3 day a week full body routine and some type of cardio, problem is I am a beginner and don’t feel equipped to coach her, but she won’t go to a gym (insecure about her giant calves and muscular upper back) or have a trainer and just wants to workout at home with me teaching her the lifts and giving her a routine to follow. I was thinking maybe getting her to do GSLP like me or 5/3/1.

[/quote]

Try this…
https://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/lessons_from_southwood&cr=

There is a bunch of stuff you can make cheaply and can sit outside.

2 x Gal Plumbing pipe: 50cm-60cm x 3 - 5cm (depending on how big you want the thing)
4 upright posts
4 planks of wood to stabilise the base

Drill holes towards the top of the uprights or cut out some divots at the top. screw the planks to hold them in place.
Lick of outdoor paint.

Dip station for under 20 bucks and it can live outside

You have the basics with a rack, bench, bar and weights. The way you describe your girlfriend, it seems like it will be easy to train her. Any simple program like the ones mentioned or what you’re doing is fine for starting off.

All of this sounds pretty fantastic. And yes, as long as you have a rack/stands, a decent barbell and somewhere to do pullups (I’d get rings with adjustable straps since they’re so versatile), you can do plenty. All kinds of squats and deadlifts, olympic lifts, overhead work, floor presses, barbell rows, overhead presses, dips, chins, pushups and leg raises. That’s enough to stay busy for a few years.

[quote]DBADNB1 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]DBADNB1 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
barbell?[/quote]

ah so you did, sorry, missed it[/quote]

No worries dude. What do you think of the set up? OK ?[/quote]

yeah good mate, but honestly, I’m not sure about a rack that only costs £80. It’s probably ok, but I just dunno if I’d trust it.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
somewhere to do pullups (I’d get rings with adjustable straps since they’re so versatile), you can do plenty.[/quote]

This was my thoughts. Rings were one of the first things I bought(/borrowed from a friend) for my home gym.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
somewhere to do pullups (I’d get rings with adjustable straps since they’re so versatile), you can do plenty.[/quote]

This was my thoughts. Rings were one of the first things I bought(/borrowed from a friend) for my home gym.[/quote]

Rings seem fun to work with. I still need to get a pair myself.

The OP can probably do pullups off the racked bar. It just depends on how stable the rack is. I doubt it would damage the bar.

Rings are out of the question as the height of the shed in around 72 inches. It is a sloping roof so the sides are lower hand the middle height wise but it has a wooden bean in the middle even lower.

So any overhead press work will have to be done seated and nothing can be attached to the weak wooden roof. So rings seem to be out of the question unfortunately.

Here is the GSLP routine I have showed her and she seems very enthusiastic about it:

Monday
Bench press 2x5,1x5
DB curls 2 sets
DB rows 2 sets
Squat 2x5, 1x5

Tuesday
Cardio boxing (pads for time etc)

Wednesday
Seated overhead press 2x5, 1x5
Deadlift 1x5
Ab work 2 sets

Thursday
Cardio boxing (pads for time etc)

Friday
Bench press 2x5,1x5
DB curls 2 sets
DB rows 2 sets
Squat 2x5,1x5

Saturday
rest

Sunday
rest

Do you have any pictures of the home gym? I put together a gym for myself and my brother this summer. It’s really convenient.

[quote]Murraynt wrote:
Do you have any pictures of the home gym? I put together a gym for myself and my brother this summer. It’s really convenient. [/quote]

I’ll share one of mine, mainly because I’m proud that it’s finally clean, haha.