T Nation

Building a Homemade Sled?

okay this might sound kind of dumb, but does anyone have any clue how to make a home made sled to use. i was planning on dragging it with plates on it…thanks

Step one: get a Skid pallet.

Step 2: attach rope to skid.

Step 3: Attach rope to your belt.

Now…

…get out there and run like a motherfucker!

I’ll admit I’ve never tried this, but I have seen videos of guys using this set up and instead of using plates, these two guys just took turns sitting on the pallet while the other dragged it across a parking lot.

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
Step one: get a Skid pallet.

Step 2: attach rope to skid.

Step 3: Attach rope to your belt.

Now…

…get out there and run like a motherfucker!

I’ll admit I’ve never tried this, but I have seen videos of guys using this set up and instead of using plates, these two guys just took turns sitting on the pallet while the other dragged it across a parking lot.[/quote]

Skids work ok. You’ll need a floor phlange and a short piece of pipe to load the plates on. Tire with a wooden platform in the center and add rocks.

TNT

Building a prowler in machine shop class, will put up the design breif when I finish if anyone is interested.

I’d be very interested in that once you’re finished Big nation. Always interesting to see different peoples ideas and solutions.

flat metal plate bend end up, drill hole to attach rope. 1 inch pole welded to middle of plate to put weights on. Cheap car tow rope and harness job done. I use one every weekend.

6 x pulls with 70kg
6 x sprints with 35kg
6 x firemans carries
6 x walking lunge with weight vest, feel sick go home

cheers Spud

this is what i did.

1. find a hand cart for moving boxes and such. like this: http://www.stthomasrentall.com/hand%20cart.jpg. the smaller the better though. and the more concave the outside rails the better.
  2. take off the wheels and axle, and the bottom plate.
  3. on the wheel supports drill two metal poles into the sides. those are your hand grips.
  4. drill a second pipe near the hand grips on the middle support to hold the weights.
  5. drill a crossbar lower on the hand bars for the low bar. and any more reinforcement u think youll need.
    6.done.

the concave frame makes the outside support bars function as perfect rails. i have a lot of miles on mine and its nowhere close to being broken.

however ive yet to load this thing with any weight than “prowler challenge” plus and extra 25. i just keep addings reps to the challenge when i get better.

i eventually welded it all together and welded a giant base plate to it on the bottom which adds like 1000% more friction and i had to really drop the extra weight back to down to regular “challenge” settings. i would have welded more of a mock prowler but i had little extra metal around the house and this thing does the trick. if it ever breaks beyond repair ill make a prowler.

ill upload a pic if anyone desires.

Brother work in a metal shop…check the results!

crap scrap sled. Scrap 4x4, scrap 2x8, scrap 1" black pipe with screw plate, pair of extra cargo straps, bought the eye bolt and nut for about a dollar something. Use it 'til it breaks I reckon.

I’ve finished my prowler will try and get some pics and dimension up this weekend when I’m finished painting it.

[quote]Big nation wrote:
I’ve finished my prowler will try and get some pics and dimension up this weekend when I’m finished painting it.[/quote]

Taa-aa-aaday Junior

I used a old wheelbarrow…with eyebolts and cargo-strap. It lasted about 6 months with me and son using it. Will go a better route this time.

Ok ok here is the steps I used to build the sled,I will get pictures up tonight once my mom shows me how haha.

1.Cut steel tubing into 3 pieces one 38’’ one 32’’ and one 10’’ section.
2.Cut and bend 3 6x12’’ 1/4’’ steel plates.
3.Cut pipe into two 3’ sections.
4.Cut 10’’ of 3/4’’ round stock
5.Cut 6 pieces of 1/2’’ steel tubing at 3’’ each.
6.Weld the 2 sections 1/2’’ tubing to each plate to form skis.
7.Weld 2 skis on the 38’’ section and one on the 32’’ section.
8.Drill 3/4’’ hole in the 10’’ section steel tubing 1’’ from top and weld round stock in.
9.Cut two 3’’ sections of 2’’ inside diameter pipe and weld bottom plate’s onto them.
10.Weld 2’’ inside diameter pipes 3’’ in on ether side of the 38 section steel tubing.
11.Weld the 32’’ section in the middle of the 38’’ section creating the ‘‘T’’ shape.
12.Weld the 10’’ section to the 32’’ section 5’’ from front (Round stock up)

Basically it gives you one low handle at 15" off the ground and two 3’5" poles to put plates on and push. I also added a hook on the front near the low handle to attach a rope or a harness too. Sorry I can’t get the pictures up right away.

Also the reason I used two sections of 1/2" tubing to attach the ski’s to the base is because I ran out of tubing and I had 1/2" available if I built another one I would use the 2" tubing to connect the ski’s and the base. If you have any questions I will answer them the best I can.

When I was down at the goodyear tractor tire center picking up my off road tires for tire flips I grabbed an old semi tire. It was almost the perfect size for 45 lb plates to fit in. I ended up putting a piece of wood inside it for smaller plates. Works perfect for pulling now I have to figure something out for pushing

Here is one I had made. Cheap $$$.

http://www.youtube.com/v/r8wLhony5Cs&hl=en_US&fs=1&

i work at a school so i asked the welding teacher and thats what he came up with.