Building A 'Heavy' Room

I actually wasn’t sure whether to put this In BBT or PL, but I figured it applies to both.

The gym I work at has an extra room they want to turn into a power room.

Here’s what my manager has compiled so far:

Fat Bar
Multi Grip Bar
Deadlift Bar
Power-Plyo Boxes
Glute Ham Raise (we don’t have one yet)
Reverse Hyper
2 flat bench presses
2 Incline bench presses
1 decline press
Cambered squat bar (??? don’t ask me)
2 power racks
2 platforms
2 adjustable benches

i was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what else to include. The room isn’t HYOOGE but it can fit power racks along the length of the room both sides with a comfortable area between to walk through.

I’ll check in later tonight when i get home from work. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Worm.

Not that you could use it in the room but I think a prowler or two would be awesome to have for outdoors. As for the deadlift bar, I have no idea what that is but maybe a trap bar as well if you guys have the extra dough. Blast straps too maybe.

Hope that helps.

[quote]ahu2468 wrote:
Not that you could use it in the room but I think a prowler or two would be awesome to have for outdoors. As for the deadlift bar, I have no idea what that is but maybe a trap bar as well if you guys have the extra dough. Blast straps too maybe.

Hope that helps.

[/quote]

a prowler would be awesome. I have no idea what a “deadlift” bar is either, i’m assuming he meant trap bar.

One of those dealift loader things. Teh jack you slip under the bar to make loading it awesomely easier.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
One of those dealift loader things. Teh jack you slip under the bar to make loading it awesomely easier.[/quote]

Mah Gawd, I would love to have one of those. But I have no place to put it when not using it without it being in the way.

One of those dealift loader things. Teh jack you slip under the bar to make loading it awesomely easier.[/quote]

I always just use a 2.25 lb plate on the floor. Roll the inner-most plate up on the edge of the 2.25’er.

Easy.As.Pie.

Deadlift bars are sometimes longer to allow for a wider sumo stance and springy to help generate more acceleration off of the ground.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

I always just use a 2.25 lb plate on the floor. Roll the inner-most plate up on the edge of the 2.25’er.

Easy.As.Pie.[/quote]

That’s not a bad idea. Although if we get budget approval, there’s no point in ghetto-rigging our shiny new olympic platforms. I’m going to put deadlift jack on the list.

Wow we actually had those in high school, i didn’t realize how spoiled i was until i graduated.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Easy.As.Pie.[/quote]

I mean, that is what i do now, but have you used one before?

It is like having sex without a condom for the first time, you never, ever ever ever ever want to go back.

Safety Squat Bar

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:
Safety Squat Bar[/quote]

this thing, right? i like it.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Easy.As.Pie.[/quote]

I mean, that is what i do now, but have you used one before?
[/quote]

Abba-loot-ly

heavy chains?

Chains and bands
Box for box squat (milk crate works). You can get one that height and one 2" higher.
Chalk and chalk holder
Deadlift Rubber Block (for partials) from elite fts look pretty awesome, but you can probably make some pretty cheaply too. These should free up a rack if someone wants to do partials.
1, 2, and 3 board press boards

Chalk bowl.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:
Safety Squat Bar[/quote]

this thing, right? i like it.[/quote]

Yepp, that’s it. I would get the one from EFS or Westside Barbell.

Dumbbells up to 200LBs would be a good idea also. If that is not an option, due to cost, then a few sets of olympic dumbbell handles should do the trick.

Monolift. Tell the boss that if your gym has a monolift, all powerlifters will instantly join his gym over one that doesn’t. I’ve only ever been in one gym that had one. No commercial gyms have them. Ever.

[quote]Raging_Teddy wrote:
Monolift. Tell the boss that if your gym has a monolift, all powerlifters will instantly join his gym over one that doesn’t. I’ve only ever been in one gym that had one. No commercial gyms have them. Ever.[/quote]

i’ve heard monolift a thousand times but never knew what it was.

now that i’ve seen it, it’s #1 on our list.

chalk bowls are great, corporate won’t allow chalk on the floor, but the heavy room will be an exception.

heavy chains: hell yeah. any other heavy duty hardware you can think of?

btw guys, thanks. this is coming together really well.