Building a Better Back

hey yall ive been lifting weights for a while (for football since 9th grade and about 8 months serious since football season ended) and now ive decided to focus on my back. i feel like i have a pretty good routine going but i was wondering if yall had any ‘different’ back lifts to help me tear down the house during my back lifts

[quote]tommytoughnuts wrote:
hey yall ive been lifting weights for a while (for football since 9th grade and about 8 months serious since football season ended) and now ive decided to focus on my back. i feel like i have a pretty good routine going but i was wondering if yall had any ‘different’ back lifts to help me tear down the house during my back lifts[/quote]

Don’t focus on anything. You’re young. Focus on your whole body an eat a ton.

That said, chins and pull ups are the like the squat for the upper body. Get good at them. Add weight. go for reps, etc. I would also say that aside from doing chins and pull ups, you could benefit from things like seat rows (various grips, I like palms up) and things like face pulls and rear delt raises.

Good luck! Eat like you want a big back.

Any variation of Deadlifts (especially snatch grip rack deadlifts), Weighted close grip chinups (only if BW chinups are easy). Db rows, BB rows, seated rows, T-bar rows. Seated DB cleans. Rotate them around and eat big, you’ll have a strong/thick back doing this.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
tommytoughnuts wrote:
hey yall ive been lifting weights for a while (for football since 9th grade and about 8 months serious since football season ended) and now ive decided to focus on my back. i feel like i have a pretty good routine going but i was wondering if yall had any ‘different’ back lifts to help me tear down the house during my back lifts

That said, chins and pull ups are the like the squat for the upper body. Get good at them. Add weight. go for reps, etc. I would also say that aside from doing chins and pull ups, you could benefit from things like seat rows (various grips, I like palms up) and things like face pulls and rear delt raises.

Good luck! Eat like you want a big back.[/quote]

eat big to be big, i am an avid eater. cant get enough of the ole chicken and beef and whatnot. what are these face pulls your talking about?

boyscout wrote:
tommytoughnuts wrote:

eat big to be big, i am an avid eater. cant get enough of the ole chicken and beef and whatnot. what are these face pulls your talking about?[/quote]

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/facepull.html
I present you with THE FACE PULL

to build a strong back you need pulls like seated rows, cable pull downs,face pulls,and pull/chin ups do all these in your workout,both narrow and wide gripped to make sure they hit a different area of the muscle these are great for upper back.

dead lifts,T-bar rows,squats to a degree,god mornings (I dont like good mornings myself)
these are all great for the lower back.
but I agree though dont worry about focusing on your back,focus on full body work outs for now.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
Any variation of Deadlifts (especially snatch grip rack deadlifts), Weighted close grip chinups (only if BW chinups are easy). Db rows, BB rows, seated rows, T-bar rows. Seated DB cleans. Rotate them around and eat big, you’ll have a strong/thick back doing this.[/quote]

i definately use deads in my workout, i love them. not quite up to the weighted chins yet, but im working on that. i can get 10-12 BW chins with good form so i feel like im kinda getting there. what are t-bar rows?

Carlitosway wrote:
Any variation of Deadlifts (especially snatch grip rack deadlifts), Weighted close grip chinups (only if BW chinups are easy). Db rows, BB rows, seated rows, T-bar rows. Seated DB cleans. Rotate them around and eat big, you’ll have a strong/thick back doing this.

i definately use deads in my workout, i love them. not quite up to the weighted chins yet, but im working on that. i can get 10-12 BW chins with good form so i feel like im kinda getting there. what are t-bar rows? [/quote]

Google t-bar rows. If you can do 10-12 chins, you can add weight. Shit, I can only do probably 8ish, and I add weight. It works for me, hence why I do it.

Get a dip belt and start adding weights to your chins. Switch to pull ups for a while. There’s literally endless variations with almost anything. Pick a few, stick with them for a month and try to get as strong as you can at them. Then switch it up.

Yeah add weight so you can only do 5 chins.
My favourite back excercises are Deadlifts, Rack pulls, T-bar row and chins. The rest are just variants.

deadlifts for low reps and cable or dumbell rows for moderate/high reps, and chins.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
tommytoughnuts wrote:
hey yall ive been lifting weights for a while (for football since 9th grade and about 8 months serious since football season ended) and now ive decided to focus on my back.

i feel like i have a pretty good routine going but i was wondering if yall had any ‘different’ back lifts to help me tear down the house during my back lifts

Good luck! Eat like you want a big back.[/quote]

i worked in facepulls and weighted chins till failure today. it really wrecked shop on my back i love it. thanks guys for all the great advice, i really appreciate it. keep it comin if yall still got some.

boyscout wrote:
tommytoughnuts wrote:

i worked in facepulls and weighted chins till failure today. it really wrecked shop on my back i love it. thanks guys for all the great advice, i really appreciate it. keep it comin if yall still got some.[/quote]

How could I forget to add face pulls!

This is another scapulae strength movement DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab - Scarecrows - YouTube

Another movement just like facepulls that you can use after cycling face pulls is scarecrows. I know the video says for shoulder rehab, but you can use it to strengthen your whole scapulae (upperback musculature). 3-4 sets of high reps 8-12 all you need. Caution use real light dumbells. You’ll know why when you start do them.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:

How could I forget to add face pulls!

This is another scapulae strength movement DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab - Scarecrows - YouTube

Another movement just like facepulls that you can use after cycling face pulls is scarecrows. I know the video says for shoulder rehab, but you can use it to strengthen your whole scapulae (upperback musculature).

3-4 sets of high reps 8-12 all you need. Caution use real light dumbells. You’ll know why when you start do them.

[/quote]

okay thats sweet because i dislocated my shoulder pretty bad just a little bit so it’ll help that out too. money in the bank

Just dont get too excited by all these ‘new’ back exercises. Remember not to overtrain.