Building a Better Athlete

Well I haven’t posted on this site in a LONG time. Some may remember me, most won’t. I started a new career, I went through an academy to get where I am now. The academy included a lot of long distance running, and I lost size and strength. I wasn’t, in my opinion very strong before this, and I came out weaker.

I have a couple reasons for training other then the fact I just like it. I work 12.5 hour shifts in what can be concidered a dangerous environment. I often work with dangerous people, and I make them unhappy just about every day. I often get threatened and have on a few occasions had to overpower them.

Some day, one of these dirtbags will try to prevent me from going home to my family safe, and I train so when that day comes I can turn the tables.

I have 2 kids, and I lead a “somewhat” active life. I still like to get together and play football, softball, basketball etc. This is one of the other reasons I train. I want to get leaner right now, not so I can see all of my abs. I feel if I lose some of my inefficient weight I’ll get more explosive.

In the past I’ve had trouble training consistently. Since my new career has started, I’ve been pretty consistent for the last year. I’ve bumped around from 5x5, to OVT to WS4SB. Since I may tryout for a charity football team towards the end of the year, I’m sticking to the WS4SB stuff. Some, if not most of my training days are after working a 12.5hour shift, that I often don’t get to eat for 6-7 hours.

If anyone has any criticism, feel free to give it to me. I have a training partner that is 145lbs and shows up about 30% of the workouts. Other then that I train alone in a commercial fitness gym. If I’m doing too much of something, or not enough of something else, please let me know.

Ht 6’
Wt 235
Body fat: Not sure. I can see some abs, but I still have some love handles.

8/9 ME Lower Day

Back Squad
315X5, 355X3 <------I feel this is a big weakpoint for me.

45 Degree Back Ext.
65X10, 70X10, 75X10

Situp Circuit 2x10
Sprinter Sits
V-Sits
V Toe Touches
Thrusters

Farmer Walks
120lbsx 50 yards. 5 sets

8/13 ME Upper Day

Bench
275X5, 295X3, 305X3, 310X2 <— Also where I feel weak. I didn’t get any more reps then I did last week.

Chin Ups
BW x9, 7 ← Another weakness

Superset
A1 Bent DB Rows
115x8,8,8,7
A2 Rear Delt Flyes
20X8,8,8,8

DB Shrugs
120x10,10,10,10

BB Curls
85x10,10,7,6 <— With my previous training I didn’t do much direct bicep work.

Well it didn’t last too long until I have to take a day (or more) off. My father in law had a major stroke this morning. I’ve got a impromptu trip planned to be in the bay area tonight to be with my family.

I’m back home. Over the last week I haven’t trained. I’ve been going between the hospital and my in laws house. My diet has been horrible. Mostly junk food, whatever was easiest and convenient. I actually felt weaker on some of my lifts, which I was hope due to what’s been happening over the last week.

08/23
Rep Upper Body day
Flat DB Press
80lbs x 20, 13, 10

Lat Pulldown Superset w/ Face Pulls
240 x 8, 8, 5, 5 95lb x 8, 8, 5, 6

DB Lateral Raise
30lb x 10,10,10,10

BB Shrugs Superset w/ DB Curls
235lb x 10,10,10 40lb x 10,8,7

DB Tri Ext
105lb x 10,10,9

Man my squat went down from 2 weeks ago. Got me kinda bummed, since imo it’s too low anyways.

8/24

Warmed up with some box jumps.

Work up to 3 rep ME Squat
Did 275x5, 315x3, and 335x2. Two weeks ago I hit 355x3

45 Degree Back Ext.
70lbs x 10,10,10,10

Situp superset 2x10
Sprinter Crunches
V-sits
V toe touches
thrusters

To finish it off I did farmer walks of 50 yards. 5 sets 120lbs. 1 minute of rest between each walk.