Building a Bench

I dont know that this is/will be a very good idea but I want to build a bench for my home gym using a 2x12 for the back support. The problem that I am having is trying to figure out what I am going to use for the legs.

I was thinking of some angle iron legs that I can bolt through the 2x12 but then I dont know if that will be sturdy enough for any lateral movement that may occur.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions for me I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Snoop

Do you have any experience in wood working? Carpentry is just putting two pieces of wood together, the better you can do that the better carpenter you are. I would build a frame and legs out of 2x4s, make sure it is stable enough. Screw and glue all of your joints (Meaning where you join two pieces of wood)

If you do not think it could support the weight of your car I would not use it.

I do my dumbell benching on a homemade bench made from a laminated 2x12.

I used a 2x12 plank and two 2x12 legs.

You need to build a plywood skirt around the legs to keep it from racking…
Imagine a rectangle of plywood around the the legs.

Forget about nails, Screw it and glue it.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Do you have any experience in wood working? Carpentry is just putting two pieces of wood together, the better you can do that the better carpenter you are. I would build a frame and legs out of 2x4s, make sure it is stable enough. Screw and glue all of your joints (Meaning where you join two pieces of wood)[/quote]

I have some experience; just tore out a load bearing wall (12 foot section) and replaced with with a beam made out of 2x12’s and OSB. I guess I didn’t considered framing it up and using 2x4’s for the legs; thanks for the suggestion!

[quote]Snoop wrote:
pittbulll wrote:
Do you have any experience in wood working? Carpentry is just putting two pieces of wood together, the better you can do that the better carpenter you are. I would build a frame and legs out of 2x4s, make sure it is stable enough. Screw and glue all of your joints (Meaning where you join two pieces of wood)

I have some experience; just tore out a load bearing wall (12 foot section) and replaced with with a beam made out of 2x12’s and OSB. I guess I didn’t considered framing it up and using 2x4’s for the legs; thanks for the suggestion! [/quote]

I would understand what a jack stud is and I would use it for the legs

I’d use 4 4x4’s for the legs, 8 2x4’s for boxing in the legs (2 different lengths obviously), carriage bolts to connect the legs to the 2x4’s, and wood screws (lag screws if you do some counterboring) to connect the 2x12 to the legs. I’ll make a pic if you need it. For padding you might want to consider layering fabric like felt or cotton(the kind used in sweatpants) with some glue in between sheets as opposed to foam.

Option 2: Get some metal and an arc welder.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Snoop wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

I have some experience; just tore out a load bearing wall (12 foot section) and replaced with with a beam made out of 2x12’s and OSB. I guess I didn’t considered framing it up and using 2x4’s for the legs; thanks for the suggestion!

[/quote]

I see what you mean. Do you think one 2x4 going across each side will be sufficient for a header or should I screw and glue two together to jimmy up a 4x4?

[quote]Snoop wrote:
pittbulll wrote:
Snoop wrote:
pittbulll wrote:

I see what you mean. Do you think one 2x4 going across each side will be sufficient for a header or should I screw and glue two together to jimmy up a 4x4? [/quote]

I would put one 2x4 on the inside of the frame then I would use a jack stud to go under the frame then tie them all together I wish I could draw on the internet.

If you have the materials laying around I would I would go ahead with fabbing a bench. However, It wouldn’t hurt to keep an eye out in the adds or garage sales. I’ve seen some pretty stout bench’s for sale dirt cheap. Just a thought.