Builder's Competition Quest

Good day T-Nation!

After literally sitting through a few 12 hour work shifts and reading through competition threads posted by some of T-Nationâ??s Greats I decided that I would offer up my prep/comp experience for anyone who cares to follow.

I am from a small village in Nova Scotia Canada and train at home. I am currently sitting at 183-185 (depending on the time of day) and am aiming to compete in the middleweight division of the provincial show (176lb cut off) in appx. 10 weeks. I have already cut a significant amount of weight, at least in my eyes, and am hoping not to lose too much muscle in the quest of cutting down another 15 lbs.

I had posted originally in the â??Rate My Physiqueâ?? Section but felt like this is something that I am going to want to update more regularly and get more feedback. The trend of competition threads have been a great resource for me and it seems that each poster brings something new to the table and the support from the TN community is incredible.

My Split is as follows:
Chest
Quads and calves
Back
Shoulders
Hams and calves
Biceps and Triceps

Any insight tips and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated, good or bad. I am not working with anyone for my contest prep or posing and have a way to go before the show. T-Nation has been my primary resource for all that is Bodybuilding. I will be posting more as I update but in the meantime if you have any questions feel free to ask.
P.S. It is always discouraging posting after a 320lbs giant on a BB forum! (Props to SN)

Good luck man, although luck has nothing to do with it.

You’re level of leanness is pretty good but 10 weeks isn’t all much time to get in contest shape… Are you working with a coach or doing your own prep?

How tall are you?

[quote]gregron wrote:
Good luck man, although luck has nothing to do with it.

You’re level of leanness is pretty good but 10 weeks isn’t all much time to get in contest shape… Are you working with a coach or doing your own prep?

How tall are you?[/quote]

Thanks, I will be doing my own prep and I agree now is definitely crunch time. I have only just introduced cardio to the equation so I’m hoping that will accelerate my cutting process.
I am 5’9"

Man, and I just replied to your other thread -lol,… okay, I’m along for the ride here too :slight_smile:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Man, and I just replied to your other thread -lol,… okay, I’m along for the ride here too :slight_smile:

S[/quote]

Thanks, I just read your other post as well. I think I’m going to let that thread die so to speak and just stick to this one for updates. I am still losing weight at a decent pace. I got stuck at 185 for 2 weeks and it had me worried but since going camping it started to drop again even though I upped my carb intake for the amount of skiing I was doing with a weighted pack. My guess would be that I re-ignited my metabolism and since I have actually been consuming more carbs around my training sessions with promising effect.

you are looking awesome and i might try and make it to watch that show

You have a great base to improve on, alot good potential. Keep up the good work

Take No Prisoners!

@ GrindOverMatter
It would be cool if you made it out, would definitely be nice to meet another member in the flesh!

@ SavagedNatiion
Thank you that means a lot

@ BlueCollarTr8n
I will do my best!

Just a quick update:
Today was a “rest day.” I did a light abdominal workout and some stretching before a quick posing session. I was able to get a few shots in some better light to post. For food today I will be primarily consuming lean sources of protein every two hours with a heaping side of greens to fill myself up.

I am finding that I am getting used to low carbs and don’t feel as cranky all day, though my wife may have a different opinion ( I may just be getting used to being cranky haha). I have been consuming fats in the form of oil and natural peanut butter, but have been tapering off of the peanut butter as best I can. Sometime is seems to be the string holding me to my sanity. I have been using isolate as a protein powder and have been trying to utilize the high absorption around workouts.

The rest of the day is usually chicken breasts or fish with the occasional steak once a week. I am wondering if anyone has used thermogenics/fat burners while cutting and has any input. I have never used them and have heard that they are great for energy but can cause sweats and restlessness.

Quarter Turn

looking solid. Tris looking like a definite strong point in that side tri.

As far as fat burners, I used them from stu’s recommendation and I believe he used them for his preps aswell. Some caffeine in the morning before cardio and workouts can’t hurt imo.

Good luck.

Builder, thanks for making the thread I am definitely in!

Looking great man, how old are you?

@ Maiden3.16
Thanks for the feedback. I may try my luck with a fat burner, I have never drank coffee before in my life until I started my prep. I definitely like the boost from the caffeine and if I can burn some fat off in the process why not.

@ lemony2j
Thank you, I am 26

Nothing useful to add at the moment, but I’ll be following! As Maiden pointed out, tris looking huge in that side tri. Good luck man

you look awesome dude. Really awesome.

Looking good! Subbed

Appreciate the complements!

Quick update:
I am back into my work rotation, I work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts 2 day shifts followed by 2 night shifts. I think this will be my biggest challenge when I get close to the date of the show. The shifts are great in the sense that I can eat whenever I want, but the drawbacks are inconsistent sleep schedules and night shift eating. I am used to the shift work having done it for the better part of ten years now, but the body is never really comfortable with it.
With yesterday being a very low carb day and after chucking in some light work I figured I would wake up ripped today, that was not the case (due to low carbs?). I tipped the scale at 182.8 this morning and it is good to see the number still moving. Meal one this morning was a protein shake (appx. 45g) and 2 slices of banana on a very small amount of oatmeal (half of a protein scoop). I also consumed 2 large glasses of water with a splash of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar for good measure. The only other carbs for today, not counting greens, will be just before my Chest workout tonight.

[quote]Builder wrote:

Quick update:
I am back into my work rotation, I work 4 on 4 off 12 hour shifts 2 day shifts followed by 2 night shifts. I think this will be my biggest challenge when I get close to the date of the show. The shifts are great in the sense that I can eat whenever I want, but the drawbacks are inconsistent sleep schedules and night shift eating. I am used to the shift work having done it for the better part of ten years now, but the body is never really comfortable with it.
With yesterday being a very low carb day and after chucking in some light work I figured I would wake up ripped today, that was not the case (due to low carbs?). I tipped the scale at 182.8 this morning and it is good to see the number still moving. Meal one this morning was a protein shake (appx. 45g) and 2 slices of banana on a very small amount of oatmeal (half of a protein scoop). I also consumed 2 large glasses of water with a splash of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar for good measure. The only other carbs for today, not counting greens, will be just before my Chest workout tonight. [/quote]

Decent sleep can be quite elusive when your body gets very close to a contest. I’ve found that certain minerals befoer bed can help (‘Mineral Support’), as well as supplements containing Gaba. With the addition of stimulant based fat burners, some people will actually sleep better after being wired all day, while others will have further difficulties. Your schedule is definitely something to consider though, as is your general intake of caffeine containing beverages throughout the day.

When it comes to predicting when you’ll wake up tight or not, try to notice patterns in relation to carb intake (amounts and when in relation to bed, workout etc). I always monitor my client’s diets so we can count on either specific reaction to a refeed. With me, I was able able to consistently drop weight the day after an especially high carb intake. Heck, the one day I went off diet last Spring (for my engagement party), I had dropped 2 lbs the next morning by binging on chicken parm heros and cake! What I’m getting at here, is to never guess. Be as analytical and precise as you can, and be able to predict how your body responds.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]Builder wrote:

Quick update:
With yesterday being a very low carb day and after chucking in some light work I figured I would wake up ripped today, that was not the case (due to low carbs?). I tipped the scale at 182.8 this morning and it is good to see the number still moving. Meal one this morning was a protein shake (appx. 45g) and 2 slices of banana on a very small amount of oatmeal (half of a protein scoop). I also consumed 2 large glasses of water with a splash of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar for good measure. The only other carbs for today, not counting greens, will be just before my Chest workout tonight. [/quote]

Decent sleep can be quite elusive when your body gets very close to a contest. I’ve found that certain minerals befoer bed can help (‘Mineral Support’), as well as supplements containing Gaba. With the addition of stimulant based fat burners, some people will actually sleep better after being wired all day, while others will have further difficulties. Your schedule is definitely something to consider though, as is your general intake of caffeine containing beverages throughout the day.

When it comes to predicting when you’ll wake up tight or not, try to notice patterns in relation to carb intake (amounts and when in relation to bed, workout etc). I always monitor my client’s diets so we can count on either specific reaction to a refeed. With me, I was able able to consistently drop weight the day after an especially high carb intake. Heck, the one day I went off diet last Spring (for my engagement party), I had dropped 2 lbs the next morning by binging on chicken parm heros and cake! What I’m getting at here, is to never guess. Be as analytical and precise as you can, and be able to predict how your body responds.

S[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be tuning into my body more to try and figure out what I can tweak with my diet to keep me rolling towards my goal. It is incredible how much I am learning about my body now that I can see changes day to day, good or bad, as opposed to watching the number on the scale change once in a while. This has been a huge eye opener thus far.