Build Muscle at Current Weight?

OP, sorry I if offended you. I’ve read too many threads (even in the Beginners section) that start out very similar. The biggest thing you need to do is read, read, read. Especially if you have no prior knowledge. I read articles on here for several months before asking for help or posting. I assume most new members do the same.

This is what had me questioning everything about you.

[quote]
dose anyone know how many reps i should do to get one pound of muscle in the targeted area? or dose it just not work that way[/quote]

To answer or question, it doesn’t work that way, or that easily. Time under the bar gives you what you’re looking for.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Newbs should not be subject to criticism as much as others, unless they ask for it by being stubborn[/quote]

Sounds like the OP to me.

[quote]IronWarrior24 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
Newbs should not be subject to criticism as much as others, unless they ask for it by being stubborn

[/quote]

I don’t think the OP has responded enough for you to make that inferance. I also think that everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt before they begin to get flamed for “stupid” questions. That’s an easy way to deter people from coming to this sight. I’d bet the majority of threads posted in the begginers forum would be flagged as trolls if posted in the bodybuilding forum or strength sports, but being a begginer he can be “looked over,” in regards to knowledge as clearly he has know clue where to begin.

OP, although it is not a crime to use poor grammar, there is always a preview button with a built in spellcheck at the bottom of the page. If I were you I’d assess my goals, which you have basically done, and then derive a plan to achieve those goals. I rarely like to put time limits on my goals, unless it crtical, such as an upcoming show. I do this because someimes I don not reach my goals in the allotted time period I give myself thus leading to dissapointment and lack of motivation. In 10th grade it was my goal to bench press 300 pound before I was 16. That didn’t happend and I became stuck at 275 for about 3/4 of a year. I then reavaluated my training and decided that my new goal would be to bench 300 pound period. It came quicker than I thaught and before I turned 17 I was benching over 300. I sometimes still set time limits for my goals but only things I know are reasonable. Im not going to plan to bench 100 pounds over my max in 6 weeks. It just won’t happen.

Be realistic with your goals. Set up a simple routine that fits to your schedule. Total body, or split. I prefer split training as I feel I can put more concentration into the particular muscle Im training than being rushed for time and trying to hit every muscle in an hour or so, but some people disagree. I’d probably set up a routine based around compound lifts. Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Rows, Dips, Militaries. I would then pick aprrox. 2 exercises to compliment the compound lift. For instance flys, and dumbell inclines would compliment the bench press. Chins and T-bars would compliment your rows and deadlifts, and so on and so forth.

Nutrition: I’d try to get at least 1 gram of protein per pind of bodyweight into your system each day. You weigh 240 so 240 grams of protein. I’ suggest using a whey protein isolate before and after workout if money permits or at least trying to get some sort of protein from foods in before and directly after workouts. This is crucial in muscle building. I like whey isolates as they are easily absorbed into the blood stream. Furthermore I would try to get at least 5-6 smalls meals in per day as other memebers have stated. This will keep your metabolism firing all day which means its in a fat burning state. I’m no expert on nutrition, but do know that eating clean foods, cut out the fast foods, friend foods, and processed foods will work wonders for you in building muscle and shredding fat. Also know that adding a cheat day every other week is not gunna kill you, but actually help you stay motivated. It’ll keep you on track. For example, “I got 3 more days till Sunday my cheat day, Im gunna reward myself with a nice slice of cheescake for all this dieting Im doing.” Check out John Berardi’s nutritional info it’s awesome.

Lastly stay consistant. DOn’t miss workouts, unless it’s nessecary, and remeber that you neeed to be patient in order to suceed, and anyone can suceed with the right attitude and mindset.

Forgot to mention. I like isolations exercises a lot so don’t be afraid to throw in some curl variations after pull work (Rowing etc), and tricep variations after push work (Benching etc). Also try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night. It really helps in all aspects of life not just training.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
IronWarrior24 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
Newbs should not be subject to criticism as much as others, unless they ask for it by being stubborn

I don’t think the OP has responded enough for you to make that inferance.[/quote]

How much responding do you think it takes before I can make an accurate inference?

Well, he could begin with the articles posted at the very top of the Beginner’s Forum.

Sadly, even though you know this, your grammar and spelling are just as bad, if not worse, than his.

[quote]IronWarrior24 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
IronWarrior24 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:

I don’t think the OP has responded enough for you to make that inferance.

How much responding do you think it takes before I can make an accurate inference?

I also think that everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt before they begin to get flamed for “stupid” questions. That’s an easy way to deter people from coming to this sight. I’d bet the majority of threads posted in the begginers forum would be flagged as trolls if posted in the bodybuilding forum or strength sports, but being a begginer he can be “looked over,” in regards to knowledge as clearly he has know clue where to begin.

Well, he could begin with the articles posted at the very top of the Beginner’s Forum.

OP, although it is not a crime to use poor grammar, there is always a preview button with a built in spellcheck at the bottom of the page.

Sadly, even though you know this, your grammar and spelling are just as bad, if not worse, than his.
[/quote]

Get off your high horse, and smell the roses, cause I can make the inference that you have not made it far in your training from your reluctance to help a begginer out. Perhaps nobody helped you when you began lifting and your gains have been insignificant, but don’t come on to a begginers thread and bash the man for asking a question. His spelling and grammar is worse then mine and my grammar is spot on, i’ll admit to the spelling.

Get off your high horse, and smell the roses, cause I can make the inference that you have not made it far in your training from your reluctance to help a begginer out. Perhaps nobody helped you when you began lifting and your gains have been insignificant, but don’t come on to a begginers thread and bash the man for asking a question. His spelling and grammar is worse then mine and my grammar is spot on, i’ll admit to the spelling.[/quote]

Perhaps you have not completely reviewed my post history. I have in fact attempted to help at least one beginner in my time on this site. I can repost one of these previous posts if you would like. If in fact I have helped at least one beginner that pretty much throws out your little theory of me not making it far in my training. In fact, I think it may be the opposite. I think maybe you have not made it far in your training and are somehow trying to overcompensate for your own failures by trying to help other people. See, I can make these inferences too. Also, if you would reread the entire thread you would see that I was not bashing the OP for asking a question. I was bashing him for his lack of respect for people trying to give him advice which he himself asked for. Now I will use your previous post to disprove the above statement in which you said, “my grammar is spot on”.

In this sentence you used the word “sight” instead of the correct word, “site”.

In this sentence you used the word “know” instead of the correct word, “no”.

In this sentence you should have placed an “s” after pound in order to make the word plural.

I could argue that you used incorrect grammar when you typed “happend”, but I think this was probably just a spelling error.

In this sentence you should have placed an “s” after pound in order to make the word plural.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:It came quicker than I thaught and before I turned 17 I was benching over 300. I sometimes still set time limits for my goals but only things I know are reasonable. Im not going to plan to bench 100 pounds over my max in 6 weeks. It just won’t happen.

Be realistic with your goals. Set up a simple routine that fits to your schedule. Total body, or split.[/quote]
This is an incomplete sentence.

In this sentence you should have placed an apostrophe in the word “Im” to make it the correct word “I’m”.

There are more grammatical errors I’m sure, but this should adequately prove my point. You do have pretty good grammar, but it is no where near perfect and your spelling is downright terrible. As you yourself stated, “Although it is not a crime to use poor grammar, there is always a preview button with a built in spell check at the bottom of the page.”

But, it’s not incomprehensible like the OP’s. In regards to your little theory, it’s the complete opposite.

But, it’s not incomprehensible like the OP’s.[/quote]

No, but you said in your above post that it was spot on. Obviously it isn’t.

How so?