T Nation

Build Muscle at Current Weight?

i am 6’3 ( pushing 6’4 ) and im 23 i weight 240lbs with 20% BF
h
im in the process of loosing weight but can i really build muscle at this point i don’t want to be a skinny strong person i want to be a big strong person ( nothing freaky like on frontpage tho )

according to the calculators i should be intaking 1500 cals but i was wondering if i had to burn that back off because i read that your body is automatically set to burn that off during the day so i don’t know how i should start… i was thinking of intaking 1500 cals per day and burning 2500 for the first 2 weeks, then in 3 weeks i will pick up my routines a little.

im mainly wanting to build muscle tho so all im worried about is getting to a low bf%

i would normally intake 600 i don’t overeat but this is from prepackaged meals the boneless chicken with mashed potatoes and corn

First, it’s “fat loss” not “weight loss”. Never use the phrase “weight loss” again. That’s easy, don’t eat for a month. What you want is fat loss.

Second, your calculators are only calculating the BMR (basal metabolic rate), which is the amount of calories you would burn in a day if you did nothing but be comatose. They don’t take into account training, the thermic effect from food, or job/daily activity calorie needs. You need more. My first guess is somewhere in the 3000/day range. Call a range of 2700-3100.

If you are taking in only 1500 cal/day, you are doing serious damage to your metabolism and should increase calories (gradually) to stop the damage.

I’m going to scream this next sentence at you to highlight it’s importance:

FAT LOSS IS NOT LINEAR!!

Taking a deficit of 2500/day seems good on paper, but is a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE way to go about fat loss. More calorie deficit DOES NOT equal more weight loss in a strict sense. Your body just shuts down faster. This is why small calorie deficits work best–they have less cravings, and they keep your metabolism revved longer before plateauing. Deficits of 500 calories/day or so are best for most fat loss. When you stop losing fat, drop the deficit 300 cal/day lower. Small steps.

Certainly, in the very short term, large calorie deficits seem beneficial, but you lose much more muscle, and have more cravings, and do damage to your metabolism that can turn into a rebound when coming off a diet and into “normal” healthy eating.

Also, YES, as a very new trainee you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Particularly because you’re overweight. This is called the “honeymoon” period and will last the first 2-4 months (sometimes longer than that). However, muscle gain will not be huge because you are looking to lose fat. And you will not be able to build any muscle at all at a severe calorie deficit. Small deficits will allow you to do that.

im going to loose the belly fat and fat around my legs and love handles then start to build muscel i should loose fat from my arms but i figured proper resistance training would do that… is my deficit just bad for loosing muscle or bad for health in general i don’t have enough muscle to worry about loosing so i could just rebuild any that i had, and i could probably keep my current muscles with a proper protein intake.

i did conditioning in highschool for basketball but been inactive sense

so just keep my cal deficit around 500 like if i intake 1500 cals burn 2000? im not including BMR in this because i don’t know how much my body burns during daily activity.

Ok, no jerking this guy around lol, we want to help him and lets hope hes not a troll. Read the nutrition articles in the ‘Are you a beginner?’ sticky at the top of Beginners forum. Use the calculations in the article series ‘Massive eating’, not an online electronic calculator, because electronic devices presume things that could be untrue about you. Have you chosen to lift weights? Truly? then tell us what you are planning to do. A program? or something you have made up for yourself? The more you post, the more likely you will stick to what you say you are going to do. Also we, on the forum, can help you out by giving advice.

Now the second most important advice I can give you is a peice of information: when a person burns fat, the person cannot control where they burn the fat off (thighs, love-handles, arms). Caloric burn is sort of universal. Each person has genetics that determines where the body likes to store fat, and an order in which it takes it off. You cannot control this. That is why resistance training like doing bench press will not ‘burn fat off your arms’. Resistance training will make your muscles more shapely, or bigger, thus giving the illusion of fat loss. Resistance training also burns calories, so yes as well as the illusion of fat loss, it DOES loose fat. A double bonus!

Anyway, read the 3 diet articles, and you should know all about BMR, and lots of other useful stuff too!
In the mean-time, do cardio work, because it can never be bad for you.

If you want that ‘big, big’ look at 6’4 you might only want to go down to 16-17%bf, then start packing on the muscle :D. You could probably acheive this 3-4% drop just by starting to do weights accompanied by minimal cardio (10-15 mins after a workout for the first few months).

i am very passionate about getting a great looking body theres alot of motivational factors that will help me along the way can you recommend some equipment i should buy for weight training… i seen a weight set on amazon olympic style thats around 400lbs and i could get a chin up bar and a pull down bar that was the most funnest peace of equipment at my schools gym and the leg press machein i couldn’t really do this because i was afraid i would slip and the bar would crush my legs

( this one guy attempted and broke his ankles )

there was a metal centre block where you pushed up with your legs and there was resistance. right now im doing creative resistance exercises till i can get a weight set

at 18 i was 175lbs at 5’11 so i packed on alot of fat sense then

dose anyone know how many reps i should do to get one pound of muscle in the targeted area? or dose it just not work that way

Ah the troll speaks. Poor grammar, bad spelling, and broken English.

sush i dont pay attention to such things when im posting on forums i just typity my message

[quote]scott44 wrote:
sush i dont pay attention to such things when im posting on forums i just typity my message[/quote]

If you spent more composing than typitying I could figure out what the hell you were asking. I could spend a few minutes re-reading your questions, but I spent that time writing this. Now I’m going to go play Guitar Hero.

my message is clear and the other dudes understood it if you cant read then it isn’t my fault ironically i think the person correcting someones grammar and spelling on the internet is the true troll… like that has anything to do with what im asking, and i am not going to spend several minutes on one message i got a life.

is good grammar going to lead me to a chissled body? i think not. now is there a need to go into cardiac arrest because someone mis spelled a word and typed incorrectly, you cant put grammar on incomplete sentences bro

no i am not a troll yes i am a beginner i was told i could probably get more help here than the forum i was posting in

[quote]scott44 wrote:
my message is clear and the other dudes understood it if you cant read then it isn’t my fault ironically i think the person correcting someones grammar and spelling on the internet is the true troll… like that has anything to do with what im asking, and i am not going to spend several minutes on one message i got a life.

is good grammar going to lead me to a chissled body? i think not. now is there a need to go into cardiac arrest because someone mis spelled a word and typed incorrectly, you cant put grammar on incomplete sentences bro

no i am not a troll yes i am a beginner i was told i could probably get more help here than the forum i was posting in[/quote]

Nobody will help you if they have to decipher what you are trying to say.

“Having a life” does not mean you cannot make your posts comprehensible.

Read these:


well i got the solution if they cant read my my post then dont respond and flood my thread with you cant spell you cant spell… smh

i got help thanks to the dudes above the other ones need to learn how to read quite frankly because i can read this pretty fine

fyi thanks for flooding my thread

secondly im an adult i have no clue why you would link me there

[quote]DoubleSidedTape wrote:
scott44 wrote:
my message is clear and the other dudes understood it if you cant read then it isn’t my fault ironically i think the person correcting someones grammar and spelling on the internet is the true troll… like that has anything to do with what im asking, and i am not going to spend several minutes on one message i got a life.

is good grammar going to lead me to a chissled body? i think not. now is there a need to go into cardiac arrest because someone mis spelled a word and typed incorrectly, you cant put grammar on incomplete sentences bro

no i am not a troll yes i am a beginner i was told i could probably get more help here than the forum i was posting in

Nobody will help you if they have to decipher what you are trying to say.

“Having a life” does not mean you cannot make your posts comprehensible.[/quote]

I agree. Also, responding in that manner will not make anyone want to help you any more. Next time try to be a little more respectful if you want people to help you.

[quote]scott44 wrote:
well i got the solution if they cant read my my post then dont respond and flood my thread with you cant spell you cant spell… smh

i got help thanks to the dudes above the other ones need to learn how to read quite frankly because i can read this pretty fine

fyi thanks for flooding my thread[/quote]

Thank you for being an ungrateful prick.

Being an adult has nothing to do with training experience.

im not being disrespectfull they are by not helping because my grammar is messed up i do have bad grammar but it isnt so bad you cant understand what im saying

The long and short of it.

Eat clean, learn to get good at a few lifts (I recommend deadlift, overhead press, row, squat, chin up, and bench press in that order for you) and put some damn weight on the bar. The O weight set you mentioned is a great way to go, and you can always improve on a home gym. Best way, really, to get weights is used. Lots of people give up and are grateful to get half their money back, if that.

After 6 months of learning the basics (diet and nutrition both) and marveling at your gains and losses, of muscle and fat respectively, buckle down and figure out what you REALLY want to do. If you’re 240lbs at 20% you’re probably already strong as hell, but you probably aren’t really at that BF%. You’re probably like 35% if you’re like most people who start off heavy and haven’t lifted much.

-------Skip what follows if you don’t want a lecture

Man, your spelling and grammar aren’t just bad, they’re pathetic. This is the information age, the 21st century, what is the deal? This makes me think you dropped out of school in 2nd grade, or you are joking, or your keyboard is somehow not working.

Would you go around with mustard on your chin and not cut your nails? Would you drive on the wrong side of the road? Would you intentionally make people think you’re an idiot? Clearly you have the motivation and desire to ask some good questions, now take a few hours a week and learn to type and spell properly. Honestly, from a financial, interpersonal, and quality of life standpoint, your time would be better spent doing that than weight training!

If you have a learning disability, such as dyslexia, there are ways to get compensation for classes, etc. Do something about this…it marks you as lots of things, lazy and stubborn not being the least of them.

[quote]
dose anyone know how many reps i should do to get one pound of muscle in the targeted area? or dose it just not work that way[/quote]

It doesn’t work that way, period. You should know that. Read some more and don’t sound so clueless, I mean, there are about 6000 articles on here and you go and post a question like THAT? People are going to start thinking you’re just kidding.

RE: everything

TheDudeAbides, Doublesidedtape and IronWarrior24–

Get off this thread and out of the Beginner’s forum if you don’t want to help, or STFU. Trolls abound in Politics, Rate my Physique, and Steroids forums, go cry wolf there. This is the Beginner’s forum, for helping beginners. Who, as it often happens, are clueless and misinformed, because they are beginners.

scott44–

They’re right, your spelling sucks and your grammer is pathetic. Using shoddy spelling and grammer marks you as unintelligent, or as lazy; neither of these things are what you want to be labelled, and you’re probably not either. So just take an extra 30 seconds or so and people will be able to easily understand you and won’t want to complain. Life gets easier all around. :slight_smile:

Conwict–

I understand where you’re coming from, and it annoys me that people don’t read anything before asking questions, but most of the time I forget about that in this forum. Newbs should not be subject to criticism as much as others, unless they ask for it by being stubborn and/or posting stupid photos when they have no business doing that.

Reminders are good, but generally I don’t say that they ‘should know that’ simply b/c I see a ton of newbs that know dick about anything. The most important thing is that they’re willing to work hard for a long time and START educating themselves.

/rant

scott44–

You should read the Beginner’s threads that are stickied at the top of the forum. Especially the diet ones.

Your big calorie deficit sucks for both health and keeping muscle. Remember this–muscle is what DRIVES your metabolism. When you lose muscle, your metabolism tanks even further, thus leading to fat GAIN and/or the inability to lose fat, and/or sickness. Keeping muscle is very important for losing fat.

It is very important to know about how many calories you burn at rest, w/o any activity (your BMR).

An example should help–say you want to keep a 500 calorie deficit. You decide to take in 1500 calories a day, and burn 2000 (as per your idea). What you don’t know is that your body’s BMR is 2000. So, sitting comatose for an entire day, you burn 2000 calories. On top of this, your daily activity and exercise burns an additional 1500 calories. So in our example you eat 1500 calories, but burn 3500 calories = deficit of [u]2000[/u] calories!! This is anti-health, anti-fat loss, and anti-muscle. As a rough outline–BMR + daily activity/exercise = total energy use.

This is why you need to realize, that taking in less calories than your BMR is a very very BAD idea. You should take in less than your TOTAL energy use, not BMR. That’s why my advice to you was to eat 2700-3100 calories a day. As long as you train hard, this represents a good starting point to assess your calorie needs. Weigh yourself once a week–if you lose a pound or two, you’re on the right track. If you gain, eat a little less everyday.

You NEED a log of your weight, AND ESPECIALLY a log of your food intake–time of day, what you ate, calories it had, protein/fat/carbs. Everything you eat or drink is logged. Most people drastically over or under-eat compared with what they “think” they are eating. If you don’t train consitantly, you don’t want to eat this much and you should probably find somewhere else to get advice b/c neither I nor others are interested in those kinds of people. Sorry, that’s the truth.

Good luck.

Aragorn, true, but I think I knew you couldn’t do that (figure a number of reps to put muscle on a certain spot) when I was like six years old. It defies any logic. Also, beginners here are expected to be able to maintain certain grammatical standards, for the sake of comprehensibility.

I’m glad the guy is interested in getting in shape, I just think he needs to get his grammar in shape to survive.

That’s fair.

I’ve got the passionate fire inside me to get that chiseled body.

chiseled.

chiseled.

chiseled body.