Build Before School?

heres my story:

6’0, 180lb, 13%bf

I’m about a month new to lifting. I go to Marquette and I have 2 months till school starts again. I want to build as much muscle as I can before school starts(I won’t stop after 2 months though). for one month, I have nothing to do but workout. for the other month, I will be living in a remote part of Arizona with NO GYM!!

so, for month 1:
I would like to start bulking up. I have nothing to do, I would like to really go hard at a tough routine to build a lot of muscle mass because I’m kind of small. of course, I realize I am new and I will be sure not to overtrain. I still want to push myself to the max though.
do you recommend any particular routines?
is german volume training too intense for a beginner?

month 2:
with no access to any weights or gym, I need a routine that I can do purely by bodyweight exercises. there has got to be some way to gain muscle this way, right? if not gain, tone a little?
what can I do??? anyone advice on building a bodyweight exercise routine? preferably one that will help continue building muscle mass?

thanks for all the help guys.

random question:
if I ran, swam or rode my bike for 40 minutes as soon as I wake up and before I eat anything in the morning(to lose some fat), would this affect a bulk routine done later in the day?

[quote]bd78 wrote:
heres my story:

6’0, 180lb, 13%bf

I’m about a month new to lifting. I go to Marquette and I have 2 months till school starts again. I want to build as much muscle as I can before school starts(I won’t stop after 2 months though). for one month, I have nothing to do but workout. for the other month, I will be living in a remote part of Arizona with NO GYM!!

so, for month 1:
I would like to start bulking up. I have nothing to do, I would like to really go hard at a tough routine to build a lot of muscle mass because I’m kind of small. of course, I realize I am new and I will be sure not to overtrain. I still want to push myself to the max though.
do you recommend any particular routines?
is german volume training too intense for a beginner?

month 2:
with no access to any weights or gym, I need a routine that I can do purely by bodyweight exercises. there has got to be some way to gain muscle this way, right? if not gain, tone a little?
what can I do??? anyone advice on building a bodyweight exercise routine? preferably one that will help continue building muscle mass?

thanks for all the help guys.

random question:
if I ran, swam or rode my bike for 40 minutes as soon as I wake up and before I eat anything in the morning(to lose some fat), would this affect a bulk routine done later in the day?[/quote]

Answer Month #1- Joe Defrancos “West Side For Skinny Bastards.” Works wonders, great intro into strength training, easy to follow, manipulate, work hard following the program and you wont over train, and see great results. I’ve never tired GVT so I wont comment on that as i dont think i have the right to never having tried it.

Answer Month #2- Many exercises that are performed with weights can be duplicated with body weight. No squat Rack? Try single leg squats! No pull down or pull up bar? throw a towle over a tree/cactus and do some towel pull ups, the imagination is the limit!

Also look into getting Jump stretch bands from EliteFTS.com, i’d go wit hthe mini and the light bands for a beginner. like body weight exercises, the imagination is the limit here!

Random question answer- simply NO. long answer; no, IF you are eating to bulk. Your training should be consistently intense, dieting or bulking. How much you eat will determine if doing AM cardio will inhibit your gains.

If anything, you may find this AM cardio to ENHANCE your appetite, speed up your metabolism and provide some active recoery and HELP your mass/strength gains. an easy way to figure this out is are you getting bigger faster stronger? if not, eat more and/or do less morning cardio, its really that simple.

If you are looking for overall health and fitness and looks, this will not be a problem at all. If you are looking ot compete in physique competitions, powerlifting, olympic lifting, strong man, etc, thats when all this will matter more. Who knows, you might catch the bug for one of these sprots before to long!

When you dont have a gym.

Dips
pullups
1leg squats
pullups
Pushups with a weighted backpack with your feet up on a couch or something elevated.
Close grip pushups
situps

Go as heavy as you posible can on these excercises. And dont make it cardio with the situps and pushups. Make sure you eat alot.

does anyone know if there is a website or thread listing various bodyweight exercises so that I can build a routine using only them?

all i found was this from bodybuilding.com
Bodyweight Exercises For Size & Strength!

thanks, and do people get serious results using those exercise bands from EliteFTs?

Dont expect to “get huge” on body weight only exercise and band work, BUT you WILL see results, keeo looking around T-Nation and if you wish BB.com (Herasy!) and you’ll find tons of stuff