T Nation

Buffet Training No More

Let me know how you like PN!

I bought his book ‘Metabolic Advantage,’ to read first.

Ah ok, well if you have any questions re PN let me know, but you shouldn’t he clarifies everything really well.

Why are you doing box squats may i ask ??

And why 8 sets of 2 with 50% of your max ??

The walking lunges are grand though.

Just to clarify you are doing this program for strength yes ?

If so, you will need to bump up your % of your 1RM to 80% or higher.

[quote]300andabove wrote:

Why are you doing box squats may i ask ??

And why 8 sets of 2 with 50% of your max ??

The walking lunges are grand though.

Just to clarify you are doing this program for strength yes ?

If so, you will need to bump up your % of your 1RM to 80% or higher.[/quote]

As I said at the beginning of starting this, I’m following Eric Cressey’s Maximum Strength. So all of my lifts as well as sets, reps, and percent of 1 rep max come from this program which is outlined in the book. Because I am not anywhere near an expert in this area, I am following the program to the letter.

It sounds like a fun program, are you enjoying yourself so far? I’m wondering if you are looking primarily for strength or weight loss.
You’ll love the PN package!

[quote]dianab wrote:
It sounds like a fun program, are you enjoying yourself so far? I’m wondering if you are looking primarily for strength or weight loss.
You’ll love the PN package![/quote]
Actually I am really happy with both the workouts and the pn. It is so nice to just go into the gym and not spend 15 minutes deciding what I am in the mood to do for the day. Instead I go in with an agenda and focus all of my energy on pushing myself.
I am trying to focus on weight loss and strength simultaneously. Cressey adds specific energy system work (HIIT and low intensity cardio) in for those trying to lose weight while doing the program.
As for the pn package, you are right, it’s AWESOME. Last night I made two of the dishes from the cook book. They were SO good. I never thought to use coconut oil before. It also made me realize that every time I try to clean up my diet I wasn’t eating enough. This would make me cranky and always at the brink of quitting. So, needless to say, I’m already loving it.

DAMN YOU John Berardi!!!

Okay so I started this day super pissed off. It all started yesterday. The PN has got me eating about 2500 calories a day. Not realizing how much food that actually is, I completely underestimated my grocery list. So yesterday I spent most of the day taking down protein shakes and eating my weight in carrots. I had to stay in the lab late yesterday tutoring some kid in an undergrad anatomy class. This really means that I had to sit there because his parent’s are paying me money to make sure he studies (glorified babysitting) so he doesn’t lose his academic scholarship or get kicked out of his sport. All this to say, by the time I got home after a stop at the grocery store it was late and I was tired. But this was not going to make me lose track of my goals. I was still going to make a good dinner and food for lunch the next day. I didn’t sign up for the v-diet so having shakes all day for the second day in a row sounded kind of awful. So I set out to make two recipes from John Berardi’s cook book. The first was coconut chicken to have for dinner and the second was chicken fried rice to have after my workout tomorrow. So after about 2 hours in the kitchen cooking, chopping, and general preparation I finally got was done. The coconut chicken was SOOO amazing and the the SMALL taste of the chicken fried rice had me dreaming about eating it tomorrow after a super intense workout. So you are probably wondering how I could be SO pissed off. Well I woke up this morning and found that more than half of the chicken fried rice I had made for my lunch for the next two days had been eaten by the 18 year live in cousin in-law fast food addict who never eats anything home made. I could go on about all the other reasons he was in no place to eat my food, but I will just leave it at the fact that I was pissed off. I bet if I was on the cabbage diet or the bean soup diet or south beach diet this would have NEVER HAPPENED. So I am stuck supplementing my amazing fried rice with another protein shake. He is lucky I get the Metabolic Drive protein that actually tastes good, otherwise I may have completely lost it instead of just writing an angry post on a forum.

Your recipe for coconut chicken sounds great…can you share it?

[quote]myjennycdb wrote:
Your recipe for coconut chicken sounds great…can you share it?[/quote]
I will post it tonight! My cookbook is at home. It was really good.

mmmm, coconut chicken drool

How are you feeling mentally eating more cals than you thought you needed?

I think I would be in for a shock!

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
mmmm, coconut chicken drool

How are you feeling mentally eating more cals than you thought you needed?

I think I would be in for a shock![/quote]
I actually LOVE it. I have to focus so much on making sure that I am eating enough and eating every two to three hours that I am not freaking out on cravings. Someone brought in brownies to work yesterday and I didn’t even kind of want them.

All the other attempts to eat better always end up with me accidentally grabbing a treat laying around, totally forgetting that I wasn’t supposed to be eating that stuff. But since I’m completely satiated I find that I’m not grabbing food without thinking.

On top of all that, I used to spend all of my time thinking about what I was going to eat when I allowed myself to cheat. Of course, by the second day I was driving myself insane waiting to pig out for the weekend. Needless to say, I just never lasted long, even when I was motivated to do well.

I know it has only been a few days but it has actually been really fun and motivating. I finally feel like I’m doing something that makes sense for my body.

Plus my workouts feel much more intense! That always makes me feel good.

Here is the coconut chicken recipe from the precision nutrition recipe. All of the recipes I have tried so far have been awesome. I highly recommend the investment.

1.5 lb raw chicken breasts
2/3 ccup shredded coconut
3 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tbsp of coconut butter (this is what makes the dish)

Add the coconut, garlic, and coconut butter into a bowl and microwave just long enough to melt the butter. Stir it thoroughly and then spread it over the top side of the chicken. Bake the chicken on a baking sheet with a think layer of olive oil coating the bottom. Cook for 10 on 400 degrees then broil it for another 10 minutes.

I have been waiting all day for this recipe, lol and I have already made dinner but will definetly try this when I get to the store and buy coconut butter. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing that recipe! It sounds REALLY good…what kind of veggie would go good with that?

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Thanks for sharing that recipe! It sounds REALLY good…what kind of veggie would go good with that? [/quote]

I had steamed broccoli.

Today I finished the first week of the maximum strength program. It felt so good to complete the week without giving in to all of the obstacles that get in the way of making my workout the priority of the day.
Today was the hardest because I had to get up early on a Saturday to make it happen. It ended up being the best workout of the week too.
I realize that I haven’t stayed on top of listing out my workout so here is out it went for the week:

Monday:
box squat: 5x5x165
Deadlift 50 percent of max: 8x2x95
Walking dumbell lunge: 4x8x20lb dumbells
reverse crunch: 3x12
prone bridge: 3x12
10 minute low intensity training

Tuesday:
HIIT training 15 min 15s work/45s rest up steep hill

Wednesday:
Bench press: 5x4x115
Incline dumbell press: 3x10x30lb dumbells
Seated cable row: 4x10x70
trap raise: 3x12x0 (this is much harder than it seems)
external rotation: 3x12
10 min low intensity

Thursday: (30 percent of max)short rests
db deadlift: 3x20x15lb dbs
Reverse lunge: 3x20xno weights
push ups: 3x20
seated cable row: 3x20x45
X-band walk: 3x20
20 minutes cardio

Friday:
Front squat: 4x6x95
Rack pull: 4x6x135
DB bullgarian split squat: 3x6x20lb dbs
pull through: 3x10
reverse crunch: 3x12
10 min cardio

Saturday:
One arm db push press 4x6x20lb dbs
Close grip chinups:4x6x-70 (pull assist machine)
push up: 3x10
one arm db row: 3x8x30
kneeling cable external rotation: 3x12x10
side bridge: 3x30s/side
10 min HIIT 20s work/40s rest

The coconut chicken recipe is in the Metabolic Advantage book I got!! woohoo!

I’m making that and the broccoli like you said, and pineapple rice for the rest of the gang.

Good job this week!!

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
The coconut chicken recipe is in the Metabolic Advantage book I got!! woohoo!

I’m making that and the broccoli like you said, and pineapple rice for the rest of the gang.

Good job this week!!
[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. I really feel good about my goals and my approach this time around.

I have officially started week 2 of the Max strength program. This week is a medium work load week. Last week was moderately high work load.

Box squat: 4x4x165
Deadlift 50 percent of max: 8x2x95
walking lunge: 3x8x20lb dbs
Reverse crunches: 3x12
Plank: 3x30sec
15 minute low intensity cardio.

Side note: I’m noticing that the warm ups from the max strength program after only a week are already increasing my flexibility dramatically.

I did my HIIT training yesterday. It was 15 minutes long with 15s work/45s rest.

I don’t think I would have worked very hard if it wasn’t for the warm-ups. I don’t mean to keep going on and on about how wonderful this mobility stretching thing is but I just can’t get over it.I find that it gives me a good 15 minute segue from not wanting to be at the gym to totally pumped to work out hard. I am totally sold on this mobility thing. I will keep it as a part of my workouts even after I finish the 4 month program.