Buff Nerds?

This is all to do with stereotypes.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
This is all to do with stereotypes. [/quote]

I don’t think I fit any of those. If we were handing out “high school cliques”, I don’t think I would get one.

Maybe I should work harder at fitting the box that people think I should fit into.

There is no better lifestyle than working out hard in the morning and then eating food / gaming the rest of the day

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Maybe I should work harder at fitting the box that people think I should fit into.[/quote]

Conform, dammit!

Der Candy wrote:

I don’t think I fit any of those. If we were handing out “high school cliques”, I don’t think I would get one.

Maybe I should work harder at fitting the box that people think I should fit into.[/quote]

i roam between cliques, i dont really fit anywhere either

mayb we can hang out?

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Der Candy wrote:

Maybe I should work harder at fitting the box that people think I should fit into.

mayb we can hang out?
[/quote]

I roamed when I was in high school also…in part because I went from “nerd” to not between my freshman year and my senior year so it was hard to place me. I ended up hanging out with two mexicans (one was actually Cuban), a white guy, and kid from Pakistan. We looked like a United Colors of Benetton ad.

Ct. Rockula wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Der Candy wrote:

mayb we can hang out?

I roamed when I was in high school also…in part because I went from “nerd” to not between my freshman year and my senior year so it was hard to place me. I ended up hanging out with two mexicans (one was actually Cuban), a white guy, and kid from Pakistan. We looked like a United Colors of Benetton ad.[/quote]

Prof X, I’m a Blaxican (Black +Mexican) I think i WOULD FIT INTO YOUR GROUP PRETTY WELL

At my highschool.

Football and track hung together because most of the runners also played, cheerleaders and dances hung with football and therefor track.

Swimming hung with crosscountry, and CC hung with track, so swimming hung with football, track, CC, chearleaders, and dancers.

Alot of volleyball girls ran track, so they knew everyone.

Soccer hung with swimming because they shared a locker room, and alot of the tenis guys swam as well, so…

Anywho you get the idea.

Basically the only people that sealed themselves off was band and drama.

Everyone else mixed in a huge conglomerate of groups.

Mind you this is in a class of 2000 or so.

If you did athletics you knew everyone else that did athletics.

If you didnt do atleast one sport you barely knew anyone.

HAHA you freaks are funny

I think alot of why I go to the gym has to do with reading my dads massive collection of Savage Sword of Conan when I was in my teens.

Also who doesnt play video games? I heard it was the most profitable sector of the entire entertainment industry the other day.

Ive been a gamer since I was a young kid.

I played Magic The Gathering and competed at a very high level, and was considered to be the best in the world at many of the games I dedicated myself to.

When my focus changed to start doing MMA, all I did was take my nerd mentality and apply it to something physical and healthy. It’s the same reason I frequent this site and these forums: because I crave information, anything that can give me the edge over and opponent.

I think most of the biggest muscleheads on these forums are nerds to an extent. That’s why we are here!

Like minded people.
I’m a nerd and I train hard.
I think a lot of the people here are the same way.

I played counter-strike and read big nerdy books in high/middle school, but I also excelled in sports and lifted so I went to LAN parties and cool parties on the weekends.
I treated everyone good, ain’t no room in my life for the hataz.

I think TC talked about this in one of his articles… about that he would rather have a nerd who would focus on all the details than a jock who didn’t have a brain to work with. The nerd will eventually surpass the jock.

I don’t really think being buff and a nerd is contradictory in fact I believe it goes hand and hand.

He who wishes to improve himself mentally, and spends alot of time in imaginative and mental pursuits would want to improve himself physically. He would also apply the same meticulousness and vigor to doing so.

Maybe it’s our educational system or MTV culture but for some reason being skilled, precise and unaffected by ‘alternative’ lifestyle is some how seen as negative.

The terms nerd and geek, are applied to people like that as a pejorative.

In other countries and cultures, at least the one’s I’m a part of, it isn’t like this. In fact a person who is not disciplined in mind and body as well as ambitious in improving themselves, is seen as the ultimate loser- Not the ‘nerd’ who passes up social activities for opportunities to better himself.

when i get home from my gym/mma training i usually read/watch some anime/sci-fi/fantasy.

they see me rollin’… they hatin’…

This was just begging to be posted.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
This was just begging to be posted. [/quote]

Truth

What’s a geek? Really. It’s all relative, right. I’m in IT and I know guys who would be considered hard-core geeks, unimaginable geeks in a gym. Or in a mall, for that matter. But they are fairly mainstream in my business. Generalizing, of course, coders usually have limited social skills and some outlet, be it comics, games, sci-fi movies and books, fan-fiction, the whole bit.

Their world, often times, is more internal. But when you get to know them the are people like anyone else. Their interests just may not be your interests. Most of them open up to me when they learn that I love Star Trek and own all the DVDs of the movies and the Next Generation series. I love sci-fi, althought maybe not as much as them.

In my position I manage coders, testers, and project managers. The project managers usually start off by making fun of the coders, happens everywhere you go. But when learn that I have a few things in common with coders - as well as being a competitive athlete with - on average - 30-50 pounds in bodyweight on most of them - they realize that I’m not all that concerned with labels or what may or may not be cool. Most start to realize that this ain’t highschool anymore. And it’s about who gets the job done, not who’s ‘cool’ or ‘strong’ or ‘popular’.

[quote]ProwlCat wrote:
Their world, often times, is more internal. But when you get to know them the are people like anyone else. [/quote]

This I do not believe.

I went from WoW nerd to training nerd.

(Not buff yet, but filling out 6’5" is kinda hard^^)

Agreed there are all types of buff nerds out there. Well I hardly consider my self “Buff” I am a nerd and like to hit the gym hard! Spending most of my time between RC Cars/Anime/Comics and the gym is a nice way to spend the day. Also living in Hacienda Heights, CA helps a lot…Frank & Sons FTW!!!