Buff Nerds?

Looking at the popularity of the Geek S*** page on the off topic page got me wondering. Anyone know of any bodybuilders, powerlifter, pro/olympic athletes ect. that had these kind of nerdish tendencies (manga, comics, video games ect.). Only one I can think of is Josh Barnett who is apparently a big anime, comic, and video game fan.

Another PX thread.

Leave the guy alone already.

Well I’m not a pro bodybuilder or anything but I am an avid gamer/reader. It’s how I spend most of my time outside the gym.

I believe those of us who lift, and have good bodies, but are also “nerdy” get the best of both worlds. Girls still like us and we have good social lives but at the same time when we are bored we can play video games all day and have a great time doing it.

Reese Hoffa. One the best shotputters in the world. World of Warcraft fanatic.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Reese Hoffa. One the best shotputters in the world. World of Warcraft fanatic.[/quote]

A good athlete playing WoW… he MUST be juicin’!

;D

More like… nerf nerds…
ahahahaahhahahaha

I don’t see why the world has a hard time believing a guy can read comic books AND bench 315lbs.

[quote]Bujo wrote:
I don’t see why the world has a hard time believing a guy can read comic books AND bench 315lbs.[/quote]

Because in high school he was getting crammed into lockers.

I am big time comic/fantacy/sci-fi nerd.

love the modern rebooting of the classsics like batman and superman, loved “Red Son”, “the dark night returns”, and the :ultimates"

also really got into the sandman by neil gaman, and of course, loved the watchmen.

Bone, by jeff smith is another guilty pleasure, my daughters love that one as well, and it is fun being able to talk about it with them.

right now i am on sort of a gore-grit kick. i am currently reading “the walking dead” and “preacher” both i highly recommend.

i damn near jizzed my pants at the lord of the rings movies, and i am totally stoked that i hear “world war Z” is going to be made into a movie.

so yes, i am quite the nerd, no i am not buff, but i was a former competitive shot putter, hammer thrower, pl, and HG athlete.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Reese Hoffa. One the best shotputters in the world. World of Warcraft fanatic.[/quote]

But…but… how does he fit his workouts in between his level farming??

That’s just plain funny. I bet no one laughs at his face about it though. He’d eat their soul.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
I am big time comic/fantacy/sci-fi nerd.

love the modern rebooting of the classsics like batman and superman, loved “Red Son”, “the dark night returns”, and the :ultimates"

also really got into the sandman by neil gaman, and of course, loved the watchmen.

Bone, by jeff smith is another guilty pleasure, my daughters love that one as well, and it is fun being able to talk about it with them.

right now i am on sort of a gore-grit kick. i am currently reading “the walking dead” and “preacher” both i highly recommend.

i damn near jizzed my pants at the lord of the rings movies, and i am totally stoked that i hear “world war Z” is going to be made into a movie.

so yes, i am quite the nerd, no i am not buff, but i was a former competitive shot putter, hammer thrower, pl, and HG athlete. [/quote]

Maybe I should give Bone another look. So many comics so little time.

Have you read “30 Days of Night” or “Hack/Slash”? 30 Days, I’ve read the first trade and am looking forward to the rest of the series. If you saw the movie and liked it then definately read the comic. Hack/Slash is gore filled, semi-spoof on all the slasher movie plots.

[quote]elano wrote:
Bujo wrote:
I don’t see why the world has a hard time believing a guy can read comic books AND bench 315lbs.

Because in high school he was getting crammed into lockers.[/quote]

there tends to be 2 kind of nerds, the really skinny nerds that get pushed into lockers and the 6’5 300 pound nerds that people are afraid will shoot up the school.

people like drivethruhero would fit the former and people like MegaNewb would fit the latter who are usually pretty damn strong compared to everyone around them but for whatever reason gravitated towards reading and Tekken instead of football.

i also wouldnt call that “buff” though. buff seems to imply a certain amount of leanness and musculature.

I played Dungeons and Dragons. Till I was 20.

I have a Lord of the Rings tattoo being designed for me as we speak. Might be ready today.

I have an entire bookshelf full of Sci-fi/fantasy books. Most notably, the Wheel of Time, The Song of Ice and Fire, the Dragonlance series, LOTR, Dark Elf/Icewind Dale/Paths of Darkness by Salvatore, Chronicles of the Black Company…etc etc.

Because I no longer have time to read comics, I instead read summaries of current storylines on the internet.

Way before computers were awesome enough to handle online games with graphics, I played a text-based RPG called DragonRealms. My character was named Trevalin Dagmor, a 32nd level Paladin. He was everything I wanted to be.

When I was 16, I had my first short story published in Dungeon magazine.

I played Magic: the Gathering.

I was at ComicCon last weekend. I did not dress up this year.

There is so much more =)

Many bodybuilders modeled themselves after the extremely muscular characters in comic books. Now you can download images of bodybuilders over the internet. I would imagine before info was that easily available, comic books were often the place to look to see people shaped like you want to be doing positive things without the negative stigma attached by society.

It’s a good thing we now have the mass media making large muscles out to be evil.

One more thing, it takes significant “imagination” to be able to picture yourself in a condition that you have never reached and that isn’t often even seen in the general public. That ability to see the end product is often what separates the wannabes from the guys who actually do it.

I think the real question is, why would someone assume building big muscles meant someone lacked imagination?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I think the real question is, why would someone assume building big muscles meant someone lacked imagination?[/quote]

I’m not sure that’s the actual issue or question.

I think that a lot of people unfortunately stop maturing in high school or college, in terms of their worldview and the way they perceive people.

Basically, the media, movies, and television portray it this way: In high school, the athletes/jocks aren’t usually playing D&D. The nerds are less popular, less assertive, less athletic. In college, the Big Man on Campus/stud athlete of whatever sport isn’t reading Tolkien or Frank Miller, he’s skipping class to do whatever it is stud athletes are suppoed to be doing.

By that analysis, it seems somewhat incongruous that people in the pursuit of physical excellence are also involved in nerdy hobbies.

In reality, that’s all outdated bullshit left over from the 80’s. I know college stud athletes who play in emo bands on the weekends, read comics, and spend more times worrying about their WoW character than their teammates.

The lines are a lot more blurred than they used to be.

I like to think of myself as a nerd+jock

and i think most ppl on this site are the same

i mean, how are forums dedicated to Comics any different than Bodybuilding?

we are on out beloved T-Nation just as long as they are on watever site they like

and some of you are jumping back and forth between comic forums and t-forums

admit it

[quote]Bujo wrote:
I don’t see why the world has a hard time believing a guy can read comic books AND bench 315lbs.[/quote]

Because reading comic books is not hardcore.

Frankly, reading comic books and benching a shit ton would not surprise me. I would be more surprised by someone who devotes their time getting to “Level 9000” and benching 315.

The more time one needs to devote to a skill to improve it the less time they have for improving other skills: Economics 101.

I am a full on nerd. I still play DnD on weekends, Warhammer and read sci-fi. Also, videogames.

I lift, and compete in mixed martial arts. I really don’t see the dichotomy. Is there a difference between coming home from the gym and watching tv and coming home from the gym and playing Gears of War 2?

We are all kinda nerdy. Posting on internet forums is in itself nerdy! Well it used to be anyway…

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
I am a full on nerd. I still play DnD on weekends, Warhammer and read sci-fi. Also, videogames.

I lift, and compete in mixed martial arts. I really don’t see the dichotomy. Is there a difference between coming home from the gym and watching tv and coming home from the gym and playing Gears of War 2?[/quote]

Right when I come home from the gym, I suck down a protein shake while playing Street FighterIV on the 360. So addicted to that game right now.