Budget-Friendly Meals and Worthwhile Supplements

Sardines, tuna and mackerel if it’s on sale. Mackerel is a very meaty fish with a flavour similar to sardines but slightly milder.

I’ve also realised that buying family roast cuts of meat and slow cooking them is extremely economical. I’ve been going for lamb shoulder, lamb leg (if it’s on sale), pork shoulder, pork leg and beef blade (if it’s on sale). These all work out fairly cheap, and since I got a slow cooker for Christmas they’re very easy to prepare

1 Like

If you go to an Asian mart, they’ll probably have amazing Korean canned mackerel
Dried anchovies also make a great snack

1 Like

I used to have a foreman grill and hot plate, and would do rice and chicken or turkey burgers all day (a couple decades ago… I’m too wussy now).

I think a slow cooker/ pressure cooker/ whatever can cook all of it now. Great investment and then, like @T3hPwnisher alludes, you can buy cheaper in bulk and throw the whole thing in there. I’d imagine the payback period is very short.

2 Likes

Surely there are thrift stores, garage sales, Estate sales. A used slow cooker can usually be had for under $5.

Yup, it yields nearly the same volume of yogurt as milk that you start with, so for me it’s basically a 3 dollar gallon of yogurt vs spending 5$ on one quart of store bought yogurt.

Hello! Even when I was a student, we always tried to cook for ourselves and eat less fast food. We cooked rice with vegetables, protein omelets, cheeses, and many other things. The main thing is not to lose motivation.