Buddy Afraid of 'Effeminate Proportions' from DL

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Every time I see Bauber’s posts and his avatar, part of me thinks he lifts weights.[/quote]

Actually I am a long distance runner. Weights are so 20 years ago for muscle gain.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Agreed.

If you really want to mess with his head, remind him that Vince Gironda, one of the most popular bodybuilding coaches of his era, used to say basically the same thing about back squats - that they built the glutes and hips and were better used in women’s training. Sooner or later, the guy will probably stop showing up to train with you at all, or just end up an arm day partner.[/quote]

Great idea. Although maybe I can convince him benching will give him moobs? He’ll probably do his calf raises and curls, then leave.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Every time I see Bauber’s posts and his avatar, part of me thinks he lifts weights.[/quote]

Actually I am a long distance runner. Weights are so 20 years ago for muscle gain.[/quote]

Dang it! Time to change my routine.

I think Zane might be partially responsible for the idea that certain exercises thicken the waist. I think he may have been one who didn’t Deadlift for that reason. I believe he also avoided other exercises as well so that his waist stayed small and to maintain that illusion.

Whether true or bro science, I don’t know. It is true that some exercises can thicken the trunk, I mean the more you work your posterior chain the more your lower back will thicken, adding size to your waist. Large obliques thicken the waist. Thick abdominals thicken the waist.

You won’t go from a 34" waist to a 40" waist, but I guess if you’re trying to maximize a particular look, you avoid any potential inhibitors to your vision.

[quote]Quasi-Tech wrote:
I think Zane might be partially responsible for the idea that certain exercises thicken the waist. I think he may have been one who didn’t Deadlift for that reason. I believe he also avoided other exercises as well so that his waist stayed small and to maintain that illusion.

Whether true or bro science, I don’t know. It is true that some exercises can thicken the trunk, I mean the more you work your posterior chain the more your lower back will thicken, adding size to your waist. Large obliques thicken the waist. Thick abdominals thicken the waist.

You won’t go from a 34" waist to a 40" waist, but I guess if you’re trying to maximize a particular look, you avoid any potential inhibitors to your vision.[/quote]

If so (attributing the myth to Zane), it’s funny to read his articles talking about having to do 1000’s of crunches a day in order to get his waist to shrink back down for a contest.

S

I’m guessing they were unweighted crunches. Which we know higher rep is endurance and gives that leaner or sleep appearance. If it was 1000’s of weighted crunches, he’d probably have thickened his trunk. Like long-distance versus sprinting.

I don’t know 100% it was Zane, but even on his website, he’s stated that he did specific things to avoid thickening his trunk and did other exercises to assist with that illusion. Bro science, or reality, who knows.

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Not a bodybuilder, but this sounded so whacked I have to ask you guys if it’s true:

Lifting with a guy I know from school. He’s not in bad shape, but he’s not stepping onstage anyntime soon. About 5’10" 185, says he’s 6% bf, looks closer to 12% to me. Anyway, I was setting up the bar for deadlift, and he tells me he’s going to sit this set out because “deadlift makes your hips big, round, and effeminate” and “ruins your proportions.” He claims all bodybuilders know this, which is why they avoid deadlifting.

Sounded like a bullshit excuse to me, especially because I know some huge BB guys who DL right alongside me, but is there someone in the BB community actually pushing this? Or is it just frat boy nonsense?[/quote]

My baby making round rump is totally due to deadlifts. Either way, your buddy has too much estrogen.

I’m sure your round rump is good for more than just baby making :P.

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
Not a bodybuilder, but this sounded so whacked I have to ask you guys if it’s true:

Lifting with a guy I know from school. He’s not in bad shape, but he’s not stepping onstage anyntime soon. About 5’10" 185, says he’s 6% bf, looks closer to 12% to me. Anyway, I was setting up the bar for deadlift, and he tells me he’s going to sit this set out because “deadlift makes your hips big, round, and effeminate” and “ruins your proportions.” He claims all bodybuilders know this, which is why they avoid deadlifting.

Sounded like a bullshit excuse to me, especially because I know some huge BB guys who DL right alongside me, but is there someone in the BB community actually pushing this? Or is it just frat boy nonsense?[/quote]

My baby making round rump is totally due to deadlifts. Either way, your buddy has too much estrogen. [/quote]

Speaking of which, I am a huge fan of yours!

I deadlift and my lower body is pretty feminine so dude must be on to something…

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
I deadlift and my lower body is pretty feminine so dude must be on to something…
[/quote]

No wai! You are a girl and really lift weights. You must have muscles like a dude, obviously!

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

No wai! You are a girl and really lift weights. You must have muscles like a dude, obviously![/quote]

Confession: no one has ever told me that my muscles were gross or I look like a man or whatever else people normally say. Can’t decide if that’s good because people are afraid of insulting me, or if I’m just not big enough.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

No wai! You are a girl and really lift weights. You must have muscles like a dude, obviously![/quote]

Confession: no one has ever told me that my muscles were gross or I look like a man or whatever else people normally say. Can’t decide if that’s good because people are afraid of insulting me, or if I’m just not big enough. [/quote]

And no one would I don’t think. I was referring to all the women who say they don’t want to lift weights because it will make them big, bulky, and look like a man.

You and beth are proof it doesn’t.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

Confession: no one has ever told me that my muscles were gross or I look like a man or whatever else people normally say. Can’t decide if that’s good because people are afraid of insulting me, or if I’m just not big enough. [/quote]

And no one would I don’t think. I was referring to all the women who say they don’t want to lift weights because it will make them big, bulky, and look like a man.

You and beth are proof it doesn’t.[/quote]

I think i look like a girl, but you’d be surprised how low some people’s standards for “too muscular” is for women. I’ve had friends that have much curvier shapes than I do, or have much less muscle that have been warned by others that they needed to take it easy because their arms/legs look manly.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

I think i look like a girl, but you’d be surprised how low some people’s standards for “too muscular” is for women. I’ve had friends that have much curvier shapes than I do, or have much less muscle that have been warned by others that they needed to take it easy because their arms/legs look manly.
[/quote]

The average woman seems to think they will just wake up one day and become huge. Non lifters don’t get how hard building muscle is or how long it takes (even more so for women). Muscle doesn’t sneak up on people without them noticing, lol.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have yet to see a woman that lifts get to bulky that is not attractive. The only examples are when they take enough PEDs to have more test than some men. Even women taking low doses don’t get huge. Just more toned/tight/athletic looking.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have seen very few women in my life that I would consider too muscular haha. Of course my perception I am sure is different than the majority due to my interests as well. Curvy and muscular? Yes, please.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have seen very few women in my life that I would consider too muscular haha. Of course my perception I am sure is different than the majority due to my interests as well. Curvy and muscular? Yes, please.[/quote]

Define curvy and muscular. And give a photo example if you please…

My range spans, but I would say Britt Miller is at the upper end of the muscularity for me, but I find her so very fine. I am sure most think she has too much muscle, but still relatively compared standing next to me she is tiny.

Also very nice.