T Nation

Buddist Honor Killings in Canada

KINGSTON, Ont. - A Montreal family couldn't bear the "treachery" of their three teenaged daughters having boyfriends, so they drowned them and the father's first wife, pushing a car into a canal and staging the scene to look like an implausible accident, court heard Thursday.
Days after the bodies were found the father was recorded saying, "There is nothing more valuable than our honour."

Tooba Mohammad Yahya, 41, her husband Mohammad Shafia, 58, and their son, Hamed Mohammad Shafia, 20, are each charged with four counts of first-degree murder. Three teenage Shafia sisters, Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, along with Shafia's first wife, Rona Amir Mohammad, 50, were found dead inside a submerged black Nissan Sentra.

. . .

"There can be no treachery, no violation more than this," Lacelle quoted Shafia as saying on the wiretaps. "They [the daughters] committed treason from beginning to end. They betrayed humankind. They betrayed Islam. . . They betrayed everything."

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/10/multiple-honor-killings-in-canada-gods-curse-on-them-for-generations-may-the-devil-expletive-on-thei.html

Oh, wait. He said "they betrayed Islam," not "Budda." Nothing to see here. Move along. Islam is a Religion of Peace. All cultures are equal. Christians and Jewish people are intolerant. Israel sucks and is the real cause of instability in the middle east. Coda.

Meh, no superstition is safe.

Since you brought up Buddhism, here's a recent example of a person dying as a result of their beliefs.

A 13-year-old girl suffocated after she was strapped down and doused with water by her father and a monk who were trying to expel an "evil spirit", according to Japanese police and media reports.

The two men - 56-year-old monk Kazuaki Kinoshita and the girl's 50-year-old father Atsushi Maishigi - were arrested on charges of inflicting injury resulting in the death of Tomomi Maishigi in Kumamoto in the country's south.

A local police spokesman says the men are suspected of performing what they call a "waterfall service" on the night of August 27.

"They allegedly strapped the victim to a chair with belts and doused her face with water," he said.

She was confirmed dead early the next day when her mother called an ambulance after the girl fell unconscious.

"The cause of death is suffocation," the police official said.

News reports said the two men poured water over her as an "exorcism" with the father holding the girl down while the monk chanted sutras.

Reports said the girl's parents had turned to the monk after the youngster had suffered several years of mental and physical ill health that doctors had not been able to resolve.

The monk, who belongs to a religious group deriving from a Buddhist sect, said the girl was possessed by an evil spirit, the private network TBS said.

Btw, the drowning from the article in the OP is only 3 hours away from my house. Scary.

Edit: I just noticed this article is 2 years old. I remember hearing about this.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Someone kills for their religion and you use it as evidence of its inherent evil? Is this a mother fucking joke? Are you aware your religion is one bathed in the blood of those who did not believe in your god or resisted its propagation? Seriously I ask, was this thread a fucking joke?

Well that was retarded. There is some weird stuff in bouddhism (like their 48 gentle spirit and 52 angry spirit and other shit like that while you die) but it is really nothing else but the way they present some phenomenom that supposedly happen in your spirit when you die (which I am sure can be understood by science like they can be understood from several angle). Bouddhism is really just being turned inside and staying in touch with the real nature of your spirit which is vacuous.

While maybe effective and adapted to a civilisation or nationwho devoted their time to spirituality hundreds of years ago I don't think all these traditions from the past are relevant to our current reality.Things are so chaotic, there is so much information and b.s floating around I don't think people will bother with another construction like the tibetan bouddhism. But who the fuck am I and everything is already lost anyway.

Waits for Jewbacca to accuse you of "blood libel" and then put you on ignore.

If it was an isolated event, I would heartily agree with you. But it's not.

Really?

Interestingly, Judaism has never been a "propigating" religion, like Christianity or Islam, and never sought "converts" at the end of the sword. You were either Jewish, voluntarily converted (which was resisted) or not Jewish.

Unlike most all other religion, Judaism is fine with non-Jewish people not practicing Judaism.

So I guess you meant Joshua and all those folks having fights during the Bronze Age and early iron age.

Certainly the earliest Jewish people of the Bronze Age picked fights with neighbors (and vice versa), but nothing usual about that in the Bronze Age. Rough time all around. The only thing different is we wrote our history down, warts and all.

And, of course, the primary people we fought were the Caananites, a people so foul, they like to boil children in their mother's milk and sacrificed their own children to Baal. The Eqyptians had quite a bit to say about them. Interestingly, "Baal" was a fire demon with horns, and is where Westerners get their common picture of the Devil.

And the Philistenes, a sea-faring Greek people from Crete, who were the Mediteranean version of Vikings. They raised heck with the Eqyptians, too. They liked to topple Eqyptian monuments and generally be pricks, in addition to raping and looting.

As an aside, this where you get the word "Cretin," being big, buffonish, thugs. Which is pretty much what they were, at least when they were abroad raising heck.

So, no, Judiasm was not "propigated" in blood. Again, we have never sought converts and certainly not unwilling converts.

Honestly I'll admit I assumed you were Christian and I hear your point on the propagation. However your religion is still one that causes as much death as any other. And that is not an isolated occurrence of death either... Point being religion is a matter of man's deepest beliefs and man has shown consistently that they are willing to kill for them, no matter how peaceful they claim these beliefs to be.

Yeah, me too. The name 'Jewbacca' and the profile picture of the Israeli Prime Minister threw me a bit though.

Absolutely. All religions are responsible for an equal number of deaths. You know it makes sense.

Absolutely. The unspecified 'death' caused by Judaism is not an isolated incident. Good point.

Very true. Unlike religion, political ideology is not 'a matter of mans' deepest beliefs,' so political ideology is harmless.

Ha ha, I kid. :wink:

'Up to 17,000 women in Britain are being subjected to "honour" related violence, including murder, every year, according to police chiefs. And official figures on forced marriages are the tip of the iceberg, says the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO).

It warns that the number of girls falling victim to forced marriages, kidnappings, sexual assaults, beatings and even murder by relatives intent on upholding the "honour" of their family is up to 35 times higher than official figures suggest.' - The Independent

What I want to know is why are we blaming only ONE religion for these 'honour killings?' Not fair. :frowning:

I'm not sure how, given my screen name. But I will defend actual Christians (as in, believers of Christian teachings, not mere social or "ethnic" Christians) of today gladly. The biggest defenders of Israel are the serious Christians. I acted as a tour guide (read: armed guard against muslim terrorists) for Christians in Israel, including the arab-occupied portions of Samaria and Judea, and they were universally nice, polite, and truly giving people. And I say this as the decendant of Shoa survivors from France and Germany.

Indeed, I've never met a Christian terrorist, excepting arab Christians from East Jerusalem who are over-the-top anti-semites based on the "kill-me-last" attitude adopted by many Dhimini.

Really? Are JAPs strapping bombs to themselves and blowing malls in Long Island? I didn't know.

I have wondered about the narrative which informs us that Islamic terrorism is largely carried out by a maligned and put upon people. Why then aren't Christians (and other minorities) blowing stuff up stuff, day in and dayout, across the Muslim world? Now, if there's a put upon people, it's pretty much any religious or non religious minority in the Islamic world. What terrorism does exist seems to be largely sectarian Islamic. Or, Islamic versus quasi-secular. Or Islamic vs. minorities....

I'm not one to defend Islam, but there is room for argument here if you look at the last couple of wars that have been going on in the Middle East.

Becaaauusssse suicide bombers are predominantly the domain of people occupied by a foreign power that cannot be dealt with with conventional means.

Jews are a "foreign power" in Israel? You're as big a fucking Nazi idiot as the other posters said.

On a scale of one to ten how stupid would you say you are?

Wait, ask a friend, preferably one who wears glasses, I do not trust your self assessment skills.

Good news though, even though you severely lack reading comprehension and impulse control (probably a related problem) you can read and write so you are at least a 2-3.

Congratulations!

Edited to fix an adverb thingy.

quote]

On a scale of one to ten how stupid would you say you are?

Wait, ask a friend, preferably one who wears glasses, I do not trust your self assessment skills.

Good news though, even though you severely lack reading comprehension and impulse control (probably a related problem) you can read and write so you are at least a 2-3.

Congratulations!

Edited to fix an adverb thingy.[/quote]

So just for clarity, do you think jews are a ''foreign power'' in Israel?.

As someone who has lived under Islamic-majority rule for nigh on 20 years, I can say that Islam itself is not "evil" but is certainly dangerous. And stupid.

It breeds a culture of close-mindedness and a mindset of unquestioning subservience to the pronouncements of a privileged few "empowered" individuals. It is those individuals that are frequently evil - to a greater or lesser degree.

And yes, even in the supposedly "progressive" Muslim nations.

Can you give any insight into any cultural/tribal aspects to honour killings and other violence in parts of the Muslim world?