Bubbles and Film Inside Vial

as the title indicates i have a vial of prop 3/4 full which hasn’t been used in a couple months. when i went to use it again, there was alot of bubbles in the vial which have a hard time settling and a slight film on the inside of the glass vial where the test had rested over the couple months.

when i turn the vial upside down nothing leaks out and it seems to be sealed fully… the film remains in place as the liquid moves. the liquid appears to retain the same viscosity as my other vials of prop.

my question is it safe to use? i have always been sterile with the vial when drawing.

Warm it up for a bit and swirl it around see if that clears it up. Off the top of my head I can’t remember at all what temperature to use. Sorry.

sorry, what do you mean by warm it up? like boil the entire vial or…

how would i go about doing this? - basically my question

Take the [sealed] vial and put it in a water-filled pan and put it on the stove top. Keeping the water level about half as deep as the height of the vial worked for me.

thanks a million i will try it and post the results

Personally I would be afraid that the film is due to contamination with some microorganism (presumably bacteria) in which case I would try filtering it (or better yet - just get new gear). Would be nice if the guys are right and it just needs to be heated though.

I know that you say you used sterile technique but it’s never 100%.

By the way - guys - you told him to heat it up but as I recall, doesn’t he need to shove a needle in there (without the syringe attached of course) to vent the pressure?

[quote]DieSucka wrote:
By the way - guys - you told him to heat it up but as I recall, doesn’t he need to shove a needle in there (without the syringe attached of course) to vent the pressure?[/quote]

I usually heated my gear up prior to injection via the water bath method without any problems without venting the vial. That said, I just kept it in the water bath for a few minutes just to reduce the viscosity of the oil.

If OP thinks the water bath will ‘sterilize’ his gear, he’s wrong. If it just needs to be put back into solution, the water bath should be okay, and I don’t think he needs to vent his vial with a needle.

so if the water bath doesnt correct the film it is contaminated?

[quote]milkisforbabies wrote:
so if the water bath doesnt correct the film it is contaminated?[/quote]

If the water bath doesn’t correct the film, personally I would filter it into another sterile vial. Hell - I might do it anyway just to be safe.