BTW, There was Another Major Terror Attack

I presume you mean trump when you say ‘him’? I am content to stand back and watch for a little while. I didn’t think I was easy to surprise and I get surprised all the time. Contrary to popular belief, I think trump is winning everything right now. I don’t pretend to know why. And I don’t know how long the teflon can last, so I have time to wait and see.
I do wish he’d shut up about the NFL, I probably like most Americans, just want to watch a good game that has zero real world consequence at all… Sports and entertainment are our break from this shit. And since pretty much all of Hollywood has quit making art a long time ago, much media is constantly sprinkling politics in our entertainment rendering that a useless experience. Sports is our last haven… Other than our personal shit that is…

All this winning! Healthcare wins all around, tax wins for days, even draining the swamp. Feels good for America to be winning again

1 Like

Yes,they did - that’s exactly what they wanted.

You have to understand, there’s no concept of “human rights” in Islamic culture. You’ve got “God’s rights” and they trump “human rights” - so if you have to kill someone because they posted a supposedly blasphemous tweet or a link, it has to be done to protect “Gods’ rights”.

If you read, let’s say, an international section of a Pakistani newspaper, you’d be under the impression that peace-loving Muslims are under attack literally everywhere - from Kashmir, Myanmar to China and Europe - the infidels, whether they’re Hindu, Christian or Buddhist have nothing else to do that attack the umma - Muslim community. In other words, it’s not their responsibility.

And the Rohingya fit the agenda perfectly - an oppressed minority, members of umma, being persecuted by evil in this case Buddhists. A perfect rallying cry for new extremist recruits.

Remember, no one cares what happens to the actual Rohingya.

2 Likes

And who’d you have put in Assad’s place? Remember, he’s an Alawite and they’re kind-of-shia, so it means Alawites/Shiites lose, Sunnites win. That’s Saudi Arabia and allegedly “moderate” sunnis who have a suspiciously busy revolving door policy with AQ JaN/JaN and other creeps.

And that’s the problem - regional players are pulling the US into the fray knowing that belligerent actions from the US decide wars. With all their billions spent on weaponry, Saudis can’t defeat a bunch of nasty, sandal wearing rednecks in Yemen.

It’s just an observation, keeping your enemies right in front of you, let’s you know where they are and what they are planning. He can ‘win’ so long as people take the bait.
When people change tactics and start being more covert on their attacks is when he starts losing.

We got trump, for the foreseeable future. I don’t like his methods, but I like the policies. We get these policies into law, then I am happy. I know the next president will likely be a democrat, be that in 2020 or 2024.
Getting congress to pass laws is the only way to protect them. So it won’t matter much by then if we get these laws passed.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to equate Trump with the Republican Party.

I agree with Pat here. I think Trump is winning. He is winning so hard that the Republican Party is falling apart behind the scenes(What exactly does the Republican Party stand for now besides specifically opposing everything the Democratic Party espouses? That’s not a political party- it’s just angry conservatives) and the Democrats don’t seem to know who their current opponent is, so all they can do is just respond to every slight provocation that Trump brings up instead of working on an actual, coherent political message and strategy.

Last year I thought that Trump’s presidency wouldn’t be all that bad, if nothing else than because the President can only do so much if Congress doesn’t play along.

I did not account for the apparent power of Twitter and the general populace being so thin-skinned that they’d react to every verbal provocation even if they don’t hold any real substance in terms of policy/The Republican Party apparently being willing to sell their moral soul for… nothing of note so far really/The Democratic Party being so rudderless.

2 Likes

By the very nature of covert attacks, wouldn’t you have no idea whether or not they’re happening?

So at this point, what specific policies lead you to say Trump is winning at everything?

I think I said this to Mufasa at some point, but I would be DEEPLY ashamed of the entire Dem party if they even entertained the idea of bringing a front runner into the light to allow our tweeter in chief to make shit up about them for a couple years.

If you take away Trump’s ability to get a MONUMENTAL head start (ala 2016), you take some of the wind out of his sails. Guy lives for the show.

1 Like

A west friendly temporary power who would hold the place together until a new constitution could be written and an elected government be put in place. I don’t have a name for you.
I get it wouldn’t be popular and pretty much nobody want’s or would have wanted to do such a thing. All I am saying is at that crucial juncture that’s the only thing I know that would solve both Assad and ISIS.
You can say what you want about a Syrian invasion, but what we did and what we are doing isn’t working either. I have no reason to believe we cannot deal with ISIS in terms of real estate. But I don’t see a choice but to hand the territory back to Damascus with Assad at the helm. The time to deal with Syria as a whole is past.

If you want to gut Trump, ignore him. He likes the attention, good or bad. Ignoring him takes time but freaking out every time he says anything plays into his hands. He’s the president and I don’t see him not being president until at least 2020. The time and talent to change that outcome has past. Unless he is found guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors going forward, that fact won’t change. I think we are past the point where his past would unseat him. Hillary would have been no prize either. We lost this election in the primaries. Once we had those two choices, you go for the least bad and hope for the best. I don’t want this to be a trump thread so that’s about all I have to say about it.

That’s a dark picture you paint. Unfortunately, I don’t have grounds to doubt what you say. I wish I did, but yeah, some people are that evil…

Good point. They may be in the works.

It’s not really policy I am looking at. I certainly prefer conservative policy and I am getting what I want so far. Despite the rapid fire reporting we have in this day and age, laws take time to craft and be passed. I really want tax reform. I don’t necessarily want a wall, but I want immigration reform. I don’t want war, but I want groups like ISIS to be a skid mark in the desert. I want obamacare at least be repaired if not replaced. I want abortion gone, but it won’t be; but it can be restricted and made difficult. etc…etc…
I am getting a lot of what I want right now. If I look under the hood and not at the ugly machine, things are going my way. They won’t always, but trump is doing one thing right obama didn’t bother with in the last 6 years of his presidency, he is making congress deal with all this stuff. Makes it much harder to take away when the proper channels are utilized.
I just look at DACA. That’s something obama, with a little compromise could have probably gotten passed in to law with bi-partisan support. Instead he went for everything he wanted and wrote an executive order which can be erased very easily. Hopefully congress can get a bill done that will not cause the collective to shit their pants every time they see a cop…
Where trump wins is every time people hurl buckets of shit at him, it just rolls right off his back, like water on a duck. And he is loving every second of it, too…

So specifically, what exactly is Trump “winning at everything” at? Just “winning” at arguing with the press? “Winning” at probably intending on following through with the campaign promises you support?

You have a pretty absurdly skewed view of how Republicans in Congress felt about working with Obama. Either that or you’ve intentionally not paid attention to their explicit words for almost a decade

1 Like

They literally said they wanted Obama to fail.

2 Likes

Anyone who likes liberty wants big government proponents to fail. Unless you like being made to buy products you don’t want, drones strikes against citizens with no charges etc…

Not that republicans are really any better. Maybe 5% lol.

Whataboutismcounterpoint. Anyone who wants big government proponents to fail wants poor people to die young and for corps to run rampant destroying our planet.

Counter to your counter.

Everybody dies rich or poor, might as well die free. Healthcare is overpriced partly because of government interference.

Corps run rampant now. They just buy politicians to construct barriers to entry for competitors and write laws to suit the corps.

Also :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Like the military?

1 Like

Partly yes. As I’ve said at least a dozen times we don’t need 800 military bases to subsidise world peace for everyone else.

First off, the US was founded with the idea that we would take on the role of world leadership so we aren’t subsidizing anything that we don’t see as serving our own interests. We allowed the Soviets to take half of Germany and much of Eastern Europe so we didn’t have much choice when it came to supporting Western Europe’s defense. It was a better choice to potentially fight the Soviets in Europe than here.

Second, you say partly, which means that even you see some benefit from big government.

Again with the Western concepts of “elected governments” and “political parties”. Do you think that people in Syria would vote for a party/candidate based on their tax or social policies? No, they would stick to their coreligionists. If you’re sunni, you vote for a sunni. Sure, the political party may call itself “national liberal” or whatever, but it’s just a proxy name for a religious denomination to impress the Westerners.

In short, either your guys run the show, or you’re getting killed. So it’s either Sunni or Shiite/Alawite/Druze/Christian. Two teams - one team wins, the other team loses. Which one?

By the way this is the only example of “sectarian democracy” that’s not a complete and utter failure.

4 Likes