BTs Getting Diced and Peeled log

Feb 16, 2010 (Tue): Upper Body Pull

Just writing down some of the stuff I remember:
Pulldowns (widegrip): 225X3 (I think?) I need to start using a log book
Pulldowns (close neutral grip): 325X3 (stack plus a 25)
DB 1 arm rows: 120X3
Rack lockouts (from 1-2" below knee): Maxed @ 355X3
Curls: Just did a whole bunch of stuff
Mechanical Drop set - A1) Reverse preacher curls (wide); A2) Close grip EZ curl: 75X4 reverse + 75X6 close grip

Feb 17, 2010 (Wed): Legs

highlights:

Xts: 135X20 X5 (some sets were done with a fast negative and some were with a slow negative)
Front Squats: 195X10

lol

[quote]optheta wrote:
lol[/quote]
about what?

Tue 2/23 Chest and Triceps

Highlight:

105sX5 DB Incline Press

ramped up using mostly sets of 3 reps (30X8, 45X6, 60X3, 70X3, 80X3, 90X3, 105X5) 105s went up pretty easy.
then did mostly sets of 5 (80sX5, 80sX5, 70X6, 80X5, 70X13 (rest pause set of 5, 5, 3))

Some tricep stuff including:
Rope pressdowns 60X8X3,
Close grip press downs ramped to ~150X3 in 5 sets,
Close grip machine bench 135X8, 150X10, 165X8

2-25-2010 (Wed)

Back, Biceps, Abs

Got a new training partner and we really switched it up from my normal workout. We did a lot high reps than I had been doing. I got a little sick mid way, it’s funny because we really weren’t doing any thing that crazy and rest periods were pretty long (around 2 minutes).

Anyways, the reps were around 12 for most sets, instead of 3-5 that I’d been doing. The weights I can’t remember exactly, so this is a best guess just for future reference:

Seated Rows SS with Close (neutral) Grip Pulldowns: 150X12 and 195X10 X 4
Strict Bent Over BB Rows: 135X8 X4
Wide Grip Pulldowns SS with Strict Bent over rear laterals: 150X10 and 20sX10
Machine preachers SS with DB hammers: 80X12 and 27.5’s X4
Abs - Navy Seals SS with side to side bouncy thingys. Don’t have a clue what either of these are usually called.

Workout took way too long. ~1.75 hrs. I think it’s cause it was our first workout together. We’ll have to get this a lot shorter.

Feb 25, 2010 (Thur):

Noon Session: Arms:

1. Giant Set -
    A1)Strict Machine curls (wide ez bar attachment): 60X18
    A2) Rope pressdowns: 60X18
    A3) Strict Chins (close neutral grip): 3
    A4) Strict Wide Grip Chins: 3
    A5) Machine curls (wide ez bar attachment): 100X9

Performed giant set 3 times

1. DB pullover: (not really an arm movement I know): 3 sets: 35X12, 50X10, 65X10

2. Superset -
    B1) EZ Bar Tricep overhead press: 70X12
    B2) EZ Bar Bicep curls: 70X12

Performed superset 3 times

6:00PM Session: Misc

Heavy bag: punches and kicks 10 minutes
Foam rolling: 10 minutes
Forearms: Reverse curls: (15 seconds on 20 off) 70X5 10 sets; 60X5 5 sets
Heavy Bag: 5 minutes (wrists felt weak from reverse curls so I took it easy)
Cardio: Bike 20 minutes total … I did 2 30 second sprints early on with 1.5 min rests (sprints were 27-28 mph @ level 15 - got HR to 188 beats per min); then held HR @ ~145 bpm for remainder (using level 9 @ 17-18 mph)
Walked 5 min, then did stairs: 7 flights with a bounce in my step just enough to get the HR up.

Done.

Took geranium oil extract for the first time. I was in the zone. Cardio was a breeze. Gonna up the number of sprints as the weeks go on.

Also I got my calipers today so I’m gonna start taking measurements and keeping track of those on a weekly basis.

Boy do I need to update this! Sorry if anyone had been following it. Progress pics to come.

Hey dude, just stumbled on your log as you referenced it from the Supps/nutrition forum. What’s the winner of the contest get and when does it end? How will they be measuring progress? Seems like you don’t lack the dedication. You doing any cardio? I recently added 40 mins moderate intensity walking post-training and it’s really accelerated my fat loss.

What’s the diet like?

Keep up the good work!

[quote]phatkins187 wrote:
Hey dude, just stumbled on your log as you referenced it from the Supps/nutrition forum. What’s the winner of the contest get and when does it end? How will they be measuring progress? Seems like you don’t lack the dedication. You doing any cardio? I recently added 40 mins moderate intensity walking post-training and it’s really accelerated my fat loss.

What’s the diet like?

Keep up the good work![/quote]

Hey Phatkins. Thanks for checking in, for the encouragement, and thanks for the tip on the steady state. Everything is going well. I’ve just been too busy to keep up the log. The workouts are going well though! I’ll get some pics up tonight for you guys to see my progress.

To answer your questions:

• winner is picked completely subjectively based on photos, so essentially I need to look like a fitness mag cover model to stand a chance. I think I’m on track to look pretty close to that level (not the most elite cover model, I hope to be @7-8%BF, then do some drying out and what not)

• the winner of the contest gets $14,500 (which is a random ass number, but from what I understand it’s due to the total prize pool of $50,000 – there are 4 age groups and both a male and female subcategory, so 8 total winners (6 of which are runner up, which works out to 3 male runners up, 3 female runners up and a grand prize for each sex. The runners up get like 2500 each or something like that. The math doesn’t work out, but it’s something along those lines).

Training - Varies day to day (keep in mind this is just the last 4 weeks) - I’ve been doing 3 a days lately (but for the first 6-8 weeks it was almost exclusively heavy lifting how I described earlier in this log with a keto diet and anaconda shakes with some finibars which I guess makes it a targeted keto diet)

AM - early morning cardio (either fasted steady state at ~130 bpm, or 20+ min interval training (MAG-10 pulse if doing the interval training “HIIT”)

Noon - Mix (depending on how I feel) of complexes, HIIT, Heavy lifting (like I described before), finished with steady state for up to 20 minutes

PM - By far my longest and most intense session - BBing split training with the split I mentioned previously, but with some pumping finishing exercises at the end and some heavy bag work and or 20+ min cardio to finish

Like today for example I did upper body push

AM: 45 minutes steady state fasted

Noon: I did cable flies for about 6 sets to warm up, then I did DB incline - ramped to 115sX3 DB incline in about 6-7 sets, then I did decline close grip bench on the Smith machine ramping to 320X3 (assuming the bar is 15#), then I did 4 supersets of pullovers (85X12) and skull crushers (60X15), then I did abs superset 4X - leg raises X20 and cable ab crunches (20X150).

PM: Plan to do shoulders with a lot of laterals and push press supersets and also chest and triceps again, then I’ll finish with 20-30 minutes steady state depending on energy level.

Oh, and this morning I weighed 190 after my cardio (just shorts on), but I was a bit dehydrated, as at my noon workout, I was 197 with clothes on. Just hitting 190 was nice though even if I was a bit dehydrated, because my goal is like 180-185.

Peace,
BT

Update Pic Front (3 weeks out)

Update pic back (3 weeks out)

Impressive results! 30 lbs is a pretty quick drop and it appears you’ve retained a lot of muscle. Hope you grab one of the top prizes…holy $hit that’s a lot of cash.

I’ve been dieting for 9 weeks myself and have dropped at a more moderate pace. I began at 201 and weighed in at 184 this morning. Our workouts are quite a bit different as far as frequency goes but our diets appear similar (carb cycling/TKD).

After reading a ton about the necessity of carbs simply pre-WO I’m going to cut out my post-WO sweet potato and probably replace it with a bit of fat. I typically eat oatmeal the morning of, a serving of SURGE before, and a couple servings of fruit the day of my lifting sessions (evening).

Do you think I should be eating more fat and replacing carbs besides the SURGE pre-WO? What are your daily calorie/macro totals?

Yeah it is a lot of cash! I already have plans for it! :stuck_out_tongue:

My diet essentially was pretty drastic and is probably not maintainable for long term. I never got too exact with keeping track but I was always under 2000 cals. Essentially I did ANACONDA protocol (with one FINiBAR) pre workout and then I’d hit the gym, then would wait an hour or so and would eat one low carb meal and repeat. IF I only went to the gym twice per day, the gaps would be filled in with nuts and a blend similar to Metabolic Drive… So I have not found post workout carbs to be necessary to maintain muscle mass if everything else is spot on. My mass has increased for sure. I’m using much heavier weights than previously.

I think my supplementation is the key to my success so far though, as I’ve been able to recover so well on such little calories.

You could definitely try to replace carb with fat and get good results. Many times I had shrimp in coconut oil post workout providing MCTs and cholesterol, but low in many fatty acids that promote weight gain.

The only thing I can say for sure about macros is that protein was high, fats were medium and carbs were low. I carb cycled between low (less than 30) about 3-4 days a week and medium (about 100-120) for the remaining days of the week, especially on leg days. I always took something similar to Receptormax with each time I ate carbs too.

It goes to show that heavy ass weight and ample protein with strategically eaten carbohydrates for fuel can sustain LBM. People seem to worry too much about “losing muscle” on a diet. The body prefers to use fat for fuel if you give it a reason to hang on to the muscle (move heavy shit). I’ve also been on a diet consisting of high protein (1.25g/lb), moderate carb (150-200 lifting days/<50 off days), and lowish fat (~50g). It’s a basic carb cycle and keeps my calories anywhere from 1,200-2,200.

I’m impressed you’ve been able to keep adding weight to the bar and that leads credence to the effectiveness of the ANACONDA protocol. I haven’t yet explored that realm of the Biotest supps, but may incorporate some FINiBARs in the future. I’m really not sold on the hydrolyzed protein theory yet and the superiority of it compared with other forms (casein/whey isolate/concentrate).

I purchased some coconut oil tonight and plan on giving it a shot tomorrow morning with my egg whites. I’ve decided to move some things around with my diet. I’m going to keep the macros the same but adjust my timing so more carbs pre and none post workout, except maybe a piece of fruit or two.

Can’t wait to see where you end up BT, so far this is one of the top transformations I’ve seen on these boards.

Hey…

I’m not a BB, I just lift.

Doctor wants me to, in essence, go on a cut… What you’ve accomplished is really inspiring.

THANK YOU…

[quote]Null wrote:
Hey…

I’m not a BB, I just lift.

Doctor wants me to, in essence, go on a cut… What you’ve accomplished is really inspiring.

THANK YOU…[/quote]

Glad to be an inspiration! It was hard but it really didn’t take that long with extreme dedication. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
BT

Mon March 15th 2010

AM - 40 minutes fasted steady state (HR average ~135); 10 minutes heavy bag work

Noon -
A) Medium Grip Chins on Pulldown Machine - Ramping to 3 - 135X3, 150X3, 165X3, 180X3, 195X3, 210X3, 225X3, 240X3, 255X3, 270X3, 285X3, 300X3, 310X3 (stack plus 10), 325X3 (stack plus a 25)
B) Medium Grip Chins on Pulldown Machine - 210X5X5
C) Single Arm DB Row (torso at 45 degrees) - 45X6, 55X6, 65X6X3
D) Prone Trap Raise - 15X12X4

PM -
A1) Rack lockouts - 225X4, 225X4, 225X4, 275X4, 275X4
A2) Prone trap raise (on incline bench) - 10 pound platesX10, 10, 10, 10, 10
A3) Chest Supported Trap rows?? (on incline bench) - 45 pound platesX12, 12, 12, 18, 15
B) BB Preacher (Scott) Curls - 60X3X2, 80X3X2, 90X3X2
C) Single arm DB rows - 65X6X4
40 minutes Steady state (HR average average ~145)

Tue March 16th 2010

AM - Work… gotta do it sometimes

Noon - 30 minutes Steady state (HR average average ~140)
Weight: 189 after the workout (3.5 pounds per week)

PM - Upper Body Push
Chest -
Incline Machine - Don’t remember weight 4X15
Machine Pullovers - 300X12-15X3
Machine Flies - 165X12X3
Flat DB PRess - 50sX25X5

Triceps -
Dips (feet elevated) - 20, 24, 24, 12
Superset 4 sets:
Seated Machine Dips - 225X10X4
superset w/ Machine Shoulder Press (neutral grip) - 12X70
superset with Machine Shoulder Press (overhand grip - negatives only) - 12X70

Steady State Cardio - 30 minutes (HR average average ~140)

Wed March 17th 2010

AM - Fasted Cardio 35 minutes (HR average average ~140)
Note: My carbs were very low this and the preceeding 3-4 days. I was planning for 45 minutes but my blood sugar went crazy low and I felt like if I pushed it I would have gotten dizzy/passed out, so I cut it short.
Weighed 187.6 after my workout. I think my BF% is coming down and hopefully I’m losing mostly fat still. Bumping the carbs up prior to noon and evening sessions because I’m doing legs (1.5 finibars 45 min before each session)

Noon - Legs
Leg Xts: 135X8, 150X8, 165X8, 210X3, 225X3, 240X3, 255X3, 270X3, 285X3, 300X3
Front Squats on Smith Machine: 135X4, 185X3, 225X3, 265X3, 315X3, 335X3, 365X3
Steady State Cardio - 35 minutes (HR average average ~140)

PM - Legs
Seated Leg Curls - 160X10X4
Single Leg Machine Curl - 30X10X4 each leg
DB Stiff Legged Deads - 45sX3 each leg, 55X3 each leg, 80X3 each leg, 95X3 each leg
BB Stiff Legged Deads - 135X5, 185X3, 225X3, 275X3, 315X3
Kettle Bell swings - 25X20, 35X20, 45X20, 55X20
Steady State Cardio - 35 minutes (HR average average ~135)

~150 grams carbs today.