BTN Thrusters for Power?

Ever since i read “Power; A Scientific Approach” years ago, I’ve been interested in CAT. However, in the squat you have to decelerate near the top, largely negating the CAT premise. Bands seem to be awkward (maybe due to setting them up poorly). So why not just maximally accelerate from the bottom of squat motion until the bar is locked out overhead?

With a little experimentation i’ve found that my BTN thruster 1RM to be ~80% of my best olympic style squat. That being the case, it would seem that 3-5RM loads (for me) would be appropriate for power development. Am I missing something?

[quote]cubuff2028 wrote:
Ever since i read “Power; A Scientific Approach” years ago, I’ve been interested in CAT. However, in the squat you have to decelerate near the top, largely negating the CAT premise. Bands seem to be awkward (maybe due to setting them up poorly). So why not just maximally accelerate from the bottom of squat motion until the bar is locked out overhead?

With a little experimentation i’ve found that my BTN thruster 1RM to be ~80% of my best olympic style squat. That being the case, it would seem that 3-5RM loads (for me) would be appropriate for power development. Am I missing something? [/quote]

The main issue is lowering a heavy weight back down on the shoulders are the rep. Also the fact that it heavily hits the shoulders, not necessarily a bad thing, but it changes how you should plan your week.

As for bands, it takes 1-2 workouts to get used to it. And really, the fact that you feel ackward with them is a good indication that it is something you might want to work on.

the lowering does require some “cushioning” with the legs. could potentially be dangerous if much stronger than i. I guess i could do singles and just drop it…

I’ll give bands another shot. Thank you.