T Nation

BSN Products

My son is 18 and just joined a gym. He weighs only 155lbs and is 5’ 9’’ The gym has been giving out free sample of True-Mass, N.O.-XPLODE and CELLMASS. Has anyone heard of these or used them? They are all from BSN. We are not sure which to buy, if any. Thanks everyone !!!

None of them, not only for the fact that they are BSN, but because your son has JUST joined the gym.

facepalm.

in case this is a serious question, as stated, none of them.

Teach him how to eat correctly. At his age (and at most peoples’ ages), the best ‘supplement’ for improving your body is food. I can’t tell you how many young kids I see in my gym, shaker bottles, popping pills, wearing 'team M-T; t-shirts,… and none of them do much training (seem to talk about cel phones all day actually), nor have any idea how much they’re eating, or even if they’re getting enough protein at each meal. Your son’s hormone levels are optimal to make progress now,… focus on the basics and good things will happen.

S

To go off of Stu’s advice - who is far more advanced than I am, but still :slight_smile: - teach your son how to PREPARE and PLAN his meals. That is the key to progress. Believe me, learning how to not be without food during a long day at school or school+work is far more difficult - logistically, anyway - than lifting something static in the gym.

So, take the money you’d spend on these supplements - yes I am aware that they are free, but imagine you had a supplement budget set aside - and buy him several pounds of top sirloin or London broil. Teach him how to cut it up and marinade it. Buy him a cheap, 3 quart crock pot and a small rice cooker.

Use basmati long-grain rice and not the cheap, worthless, packing filler type Asian stick rice (shameless plug).

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Teach him how to eat correctly. At his age (and at most peoples’ ages), the best ‘supplement’ for improving your body is food. I can’t tell you how many young kids I see in my gym, shaker bottles, popping pills, wearing 'team M-Tech; t-shirts,… and none of them do much training (seem to talk about cel phones all day actually), nor have any idea how much they’re eating, or even if they’re getting enough protein at each meal. Your son’s hormone levels are optimal to make progress now,… focus on the basics and good things will happen.

S
[/quote]

X2.

Here’s the most useful article your son could ever read:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_1.htm