T Nation

Brxxthe: Rate Me

In 2003 I weighed 250lbs… now I am 6’2 180 at 18% BF. Was a fat-boy throughout high school and most of my college years. I know I’m far far away from any kind of bodybuilder status but I’m looking for direction.

wow that’s a pretty impressive fat loss there, what kind of steps did you take to lose that much weight. Ur right ur not really close to a look that’ll give you a high rating, but based on where you came from you certainly should be proud.

What direction do you want to go? What would you like to look like/perform like in 2 years?

Well, you can guide somebody without knowing more.

Whats your current diet and training look like ?

You look like you weigh more than 180 at 6’2"… I’m thinkin your legs are laggin behind (oh I’m silly)…

My main concern right now is strengthening my back. My job requires me to hold weight over my head all day, and on occasion If I arch my back too much or don’t watch my posture, my middle and sometimes lower back will have slight pain for a week or so.

It always heals, and I’ve never sustained serious injury, but I know its definitely something I need to concentrate on right now. I also sometimes wear a gear pounch on my stomach, which is attatched via harnass which goes around my shoulders and across lats, and also a belt which goes across my waist to hold the weight.

I want to be able to handle these 12 hour heavy back days with no problems.

diet: around 2200cal/day
about 65%p / 20%c / 15%fat

I also jog 3x a week for 40min or so

thank you all for the input!!

I may be stupid, but 2200 doesn’t seem like very many calories, especially if you have a manual labor job.

I understand that your a FFB, but it seems like, if your lifting heavy plus you have a manual labor job, you might be better served eating more (it sounds like your goals are bigger muscles, but if your still cutting or something, then nevermind).

“You look like you weigh more than 180 at 6’2.”

I agree. I’d have guessed the picture at 195. But kudos for the weight loss. Your upper body seems to have benefitted and holds promise.

As a rule, lifting weight over your head in a gym is a more controlled, measured movement. Training tends to be safer than real world hoisting.

My guess is at 2,200 calories a day you’ll still keep cutting fat. Active job, three days of running. I can see why you’ve made progress. If you’re at peace with that number and can keep at it, you should. I’d hesitate to go much lower.

Have you ever tried Roman Chair Hyperextensions? It has the advantage of stretching the spine, a de-compression of sorts that may work as an antidote to the job and gym work. Just please go slowly and carefully at first.

And remember, when we speak of sturdy lower back, more often we mean a core strength from the abdominals and other stabilizers around the waist as well as the erectors.

Okay, now I see that you’re a boom operator. In your job, you’re dealing with leverage and movement issues that you will rarely if ever face in the gym. I don’t want to say “apples and oranges,” but it is, um… peaches and nectarines.

How in the world do you eat so lean when Craft Services is the highlight of your day?

Yeah, do not go under 2,200. Consider the hypers. And here’s to you, Boom Man. That is a difficult job.

2,200 Kcal at 6’ft? welcome to the land of starvation mode, muscle losss, slow metabolism and diminished returns.

I’m 5’9", 5’10" on a good day, getting 4,000 kcal and losing BF.

Straight to the point, you need to eat more. Read the following Dr. Berardi article and all the articles linked within.

Massive Eating Reloaded, Part I
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459429

Massive Eating Reloaded, Part II
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459431

You have the frame, now you need to fill it out.

Ehh nice job, well figure out what you want to accomplish, because some of the answers you will receive are based for different goals and physiques.

Nice job!

I am also 6’2 and I look similar to you and I am around 210 to 215. I would have guessed you would have weighed similar, but maybe I have more muscle on my legs or you have smaller legs or something.

I think you could add more lean muscle mass and look better though, just have a cleaner diet and keep the protein coming your way! Make sure you’re trying to grow multiple body parts, I can see that if you started neglecting your arms they would slowly become a weak point. So far the balance is not bad, though your arms are starting to fall behind.

wow thank you guys for all the input. That Massive Eating article is amazing! Of all the diet books and articles I’ve read… I never knew about controlling insulin releases like this. I’ve def got alot of changes to make… thanks!

I was trying out the

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/july262002/na_masscalculator.htm

Calculator, and well. My daily inntake is about 2600kcals now at 230lbs, about 15-17% fat and 3-5 kardio workouts and 3-4 weight workouts pr week. at 2600kcals I’m going down about 1.5-2.5lbs pr week, according to that calc, I should be eating 6073kcals pr day… isn’t that insanely high?

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
I was trying out the

Calculator, and well. My daily inntake is about 2600kcals now at 230lbs, about 15-17% fat and 3-5 kardio workouts and 3-4 weight workouts pr week. at 2600kcals I’m going down about 1.5-2.5lbs pr week, according to that calc, I should be eating 6073kcals pr day… isn’t that insanely high?[/quote]

Not at all. Look at all the activity you are doing. 1.5 -2.5 lbs per week? Your losing muscle. If you stick with your current exercise plan, eat clean and bump up your caloric intake you should be able to increase strength, muscle mass and keep decreasing BF. If you are conserned about gaining weight knock 500 kcal off.

[quote]Panik wrote:
Adamsson wrote:
I was trying out the

Calculator, and well. My daily inntake is about 2600kcals now at 230lbs, about 15-17% fat and 3-5 kardio workouts and 3-4 weight workouts pr week. at 2600kcals I’m going down about 1.5-2.5lbs pr week, according to that calc, I should be eating 6073kcals pr day… isn’t that insanely high?

Not at all. Look at all the activity you are doing. 1.5 -2.5 lbs per week? Your losing muscle. If you stick with your current exercise plan, eat clean and bump up your caloric intake you should be able to increase strength, muscle mass and keep decreasing BF. If you are conserned about gaining weight knock 500 kcal off.[/quote]

“1.5 -2.5 lbs per week? Your losing muscle.”

That is kind of a harsh and not very well founded statement. So far (I’ve lost about 12-14kgs (26-31lbs) and I have never been as strong as this before. I understand that it can’t go on forever, but if I go above 3000-3500kcal pr day, I’m looking like a balloon within 4-5 weeks… :slight_smile:

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
Panik wrote:
Adamsson wrote:
I was trying out the

Not at all. Look at all the activity you are doing. 1.5 -2.5 lbs per week? Your losing muscle. If you stick with your current exercise plan, eat clean and bump up your caloric intake you should be able to increase strength, muscle mass and keep decreasing BF. If you are conserned about gaining weight knock 500 kcal off.

“1.5 -2.5 lbs per week? Your losing muscle.”

That is kind of a harsh and not very well founded statement. So far (I’ve lost about 12-14kgs (26-31lbs) and I have never been as strong as this before. I understand that it can’t go on forever, but if I go above 3000-3500kcal pr day, I’m looking like a balloon within 4-5 weeks… :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Even on a diet designed to lose weight (CT Mutation series, Weight x 16=Kcal) at 230lbs you should be getting 3680 kcal. your not obese you stated 15%-17% BF%, if your loseing weight that fast at such a low percent its pretty likly a portion of your weight loss is muscle.

BTW: Not trying to be rude, I’m just trying to say that I have an extremely slow metabolism. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten more than 3000-3200kcal pr day over a long period of time.

The only time I’ve eaten more was on the ranger-exercises in the army, where we did something like 8000-9000kcal a day, but then again: we ran around with 70-80kg backpacks all day long… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Adamsson wrote:
BTW: Not trying to be rude, I’m just trying to say that I have an extremely slow metabolism. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten more than 3000-3200kcal pr day over a long period of time.

The only time I’ve eaten more was on the ranger-exercises in the army, where we did something like 8000-9000kcal a day, but then again: we ran around with 70-80kg backpacks all day long… :P[/quote]

Well by the looks of your picture it looks like your doing something right :slight_smile: , looking strong.