Brute's Book

Wow, this quite a “blog”!

Congratulations on it, and your strength, is very impresive.

I¨ve seen many of the videos and are all great.

You seem to be very tall, right?

Did you post some photos or video posing as well (since in most we see you from far away or covered), or are you mainly interested on the “power” aspect of the sport? (excuse my English, is not my mother tonge).

If you do have some photos, please post them here or give us the link

Thanks!

Best regards!

Thanks trtoldman! I appreciate it! My goals are strength training for the long haul as in to be a life long lifter. I used to be more of a powerlifter but no so much anymore, now its strong man stuff and just general functional strength.

Today
push press 45x3, 95, 120x2, 115x3 x 10 sets
bent over rows with the farmer’s handle 132# 10 sets of 3
ssb walking lunges bar plus 30# x 50 feet
clean grip reverse alternating lunges 95x8 x 2 sets
prowler pull/push low handle 90# x 10 trips x 50 feet
misc pushes with high handle mixed with low x few trips
some mixed in lat pull downs with various grip types things
a set of 10 push ups

2 Likes

Thanks for your fast reply! Could you tell me, please, your stats, eating regime and “suplementation”.

Thanks and best,

Trtoldman

Hey trtoldman! I’m 35 years old, 5’8 or so and 165# typically plus or minus a few. I take ZMA and Flameout for supplements and my diet is mostly low carb, moderate to high fat with lots of veggies of all types when I can afford them.

Low carb works best for me for various reasons and its a quite manageable way for me maintain my body wt and fat percentage from ballooning up too quickly.

Today
stepmill x 28 mins

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

Today
fs 45x3, 135, 185, 200x3 x 10 sets
a set of 15 belt squats with 200 on it
football bar benching - bar plus 55# 5 sets of 5
db benching 40’s x 5, 45’s x 4 sets of 5
misc tricep stuff

The fs looked good, I am pleased because I really went in thinking I’d have zero ability to do ANYTHING and was fully prepared to just get to the gym, fail , turn and drive home… I was feeling low energy even though I had no real reason to feel that way at all, but who cares? Went ok anyway!

1 Like

today
t bar carries 342# x 100 feet x 4 trips
t bar deadlifts 287# x 8 x 4 sets
misc extensions

BACK TO BED. Can’t seem to get neough sleep the last few days so napping is where its at.

yesterday 's push ups a set of 15, a set of 5

Today
fs 45x5, 135, 185, 195x3 x 10 sets, 205, 215, 225, 235
push press 45x5, 95x2, 115x4, 120x4 x 2 sets<- I need to drop the wt on these. My dormant low back injury growled at me and isn’t pleased. I did not have good form. DROPPING IT DOWN THEN!
prowler pull/push low handles 110# on it x distance x 3 trips, 90# on it x distance x 7 trips, high handle push x 1 trip

Tuesday’s push ups- a set of 16, 4
yesterday a set of 18, 2

will do 20 today

yesterday
a set of 20 push ups
dead lifts 45x5, 155, 245, 315, 335, 350
wt’d pull ups w/ a 25# 5 sets of 2, a single with 35#
sand bag to chest 75#, 100# x few, 150# x 8 as quick as I could ( took a couple minutes each set) x 4 sets, 200# x 1

Walked a mile on the treadmill to try and alleviate this weird strange knot in my right hip/deep glute/joint thingie that made itself known! I tired a really cool glute exercise Tuesday that I like but I think opened up my hips toooo much- after seing it on Laura Phelps’ instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW8W27vFhsA/

felt great! But now that I think of it the day after my right side wasn’t normal but it didn’t phase me…the bags must have set it off since I have to open up my hips for that.

I expected to wake up today feeling worse but it feels less strange–like I have to pop my hip ( my hips do pop normally) and tight tight tight on that entire glute. I’ll go easy on it until I can get it back to normal.

2 Likes

I have finally stepped from out of the lurking shadows (I think). Love your log! Love your strength and progression. I’ve been starting to implement strongman stuff, and I’ll most likely delve into it a lot as I progress.

2 Likes

Planetcybertron! Thanks for popping in! I really appreciate it!! :D! OH MY there’s just SO much to do with strongman type stuff! Its never ending! And fun!!!

Well, I lifted thursday and I was happy to get some front squats in that felt ok.I had 15 mins before a work meeting and got this done. I have been doing 30 push ups a day this week every day too.

fs455, 135x3, 185x3 x 3 sets, 190x3 x 3 sets, 195x3
155x8, 165x8 x 3 sets
five mile walk

Today - 5 mile speed walk listening to best of WHAM! :D!!! It was fun watching the other lifters doing serious attempts at things while I had on Club Tropicana on my headphones.

Hip stuff wise for the front squats all it took was my toes pointing out slightly and a couple times I felt like I was in a danger zone on the bottom of the squat, as if my hip was coming out of the socket in a way–and painful!

So NOPE, toes stay forward! I was able to do things well with a super narrow, super tight stance without pain so that’s what is happening hense forth. I’ll just have to get better at it.

Is it a jammed hip? Hip impingement? Snapping hip? I HAVE NO IDEA! These are crazy internet things I have looked up in an attempt to describe what I feel. I’m hoping its a strain that passes in a few weeks.

A Dear Diary Moment, In my personal, inner brain I have been grappling with rearranging ways of thought. I have to let things ride and trust that I have learned something and have skills–I won’t let things go the way they had in the past. I have MAD SKILLS! I won’t let it happen on my watch!! I have loving support!

Don’t chase temporary feelings, temporary relief from nerves that will cost you in the end, just ride it out Brutie! You have things in your tool box, you’ve learned things, it won’t be like it was before. Nothing ever is! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m having trouble with this on the back squat after I’ve done a heavy set. Last time I hit a new 5RM with 315, and the entire night my hips felt like they were pulling out of the socket. The next morning, I woke up and felt fine. I don’t know if it’s more so my hips, or my sacrum area that need attention. Probably both though. I’m starting to think I may or may not need briefs when squattinf just to keep my hips happy.

DANG!!! Great squat planetcybertron!! For hips though I’ve never had any hip trouble, ever! :frowning: However from reading other ladies’ logs, I guess it might be an issue I’d have to deal with eventually potentiality :{ Thank god for supportive gear so we can keep up lifting through whatever misc weird thing is happening!

Today- 5 mile walk and 30 push ups total

1 Like

Today
fs 45x5, 135x3, 165x8x4 sets
ssb squats 95#x8, 115# x8, 135#x8
back/glute extensions
push ups- a set of 20, 2 sets of 10

Can’t go crazy with depth on the fs but I don’t care, its the hip I care about! And its getting better I believe. It’ll be the slow train in here until she’s back to speed! I wanted to try the ssb squats yet I don’t think I’ll bring them back into rotation- lunge use only.

Silly but significant that even a marginal amount of wt --which is pretty much anything over 115# loaded on my back- with a back friendly bar at that makes it growl. OK, front loaded only it is!

2 Likes

Today
hex bar dead lifts x8, 165#x8, 231 x 5 x 2 sets, 209# x 8 x 4 sets
db benching 30’s x10, x15, x25
tricep rope pull downs x10, x15, x25
push ups 20, 2 sets of 10
cardio

Hip socket is happily still on the improvement trend. I did really have to push my right knee out for the hex dl’s- right hip is the off one. Not sure if this is part of the ultimate weakness or what? I tend to think my left is the more caving of knees but I could wrong, or it could just be my hip being wonky and clamming everything shut trying to protect itself.

2 Likes

Today was stepmill x 25 mins

I am very pleased with my hip’s improvement!! It did remind me its not normal though when I had to sprint across the street suddenly and felt like my butt cheek was cramped!

Tons of thoughts last night and today. Operation Calm Down, One Step At A Time is going ok. Its not a huge suprise but its significant the overriding theme of my daily ruminating thoughts. I’m aiming to change that.

2 Likes

Today
fs 45x5, 135x3, 165x8x4 sets, 185x5, 205x3
A long walk
push ups 2 sets of 15, a set of 10

2 Likes

Today
wt’d pull ups w/ a 25x3, x2
mp’s 65# x 8 x 4 sets
2 sets of 8 pull ups
farmer’s handle carries per arm 110# x 50 feet, 130# x50 feet, 150# x 50 feet, 170#x 50 feet, 180# x 50 feet x 2 trips
stones 68#, 108# 140 x a total of ten or so- I’m trying a new technique which I am not sure I agree with
back extensions
push ups a set of 25, a set of 15

I didn’t expect much from today and I got more then that. I’m ok with it! Hips on the mend, I’d say its 85% normal!

1 Like

Saturday
7 mile walk, push ups a set of 25, 15
ALSO tried wall climbing for the first time! It was fun! I only climbed the kiddy wall once but still! I have a leeryness for heights but it worked out fine! I’ll be doing it again!
Swam a bit, a handful of lengths, messed around in the recreation center gym with tbar dead lifts, pull ups just dunced around and had an active recovery day.

Yesterday push ups a set of 2 sets of 15, a set of 10

Today
fs 45x5, 135x3, 170x8x4 sets, 195, 215
db benching 35’s x10, x15, 15
tricep rope pull downs 4 sets of 10
prowler push low handle one way, high handle the other way 90# on it x 6 trips total
push ups 15, 3 sets of 10, a set of 5
misc db lateral raises

2 Likes

Today
t bar dead lifts bar x2, 167x2, 257x2
t bar carries 327# x 200 feet, x 100 feet x 2 trips
frame carries - frame is 200# x 50 feet, 300# x 50 feet, 340 x50 feet, 380 x 50 feet x 3 trips, 400 just up and hold
frame dead lifts- empty frame/200# x 25, x 25?? not sure
hexafel- terrible spelling?- carry 30 feet x 2 trips

I LOVE the frame! Its new to the gym and I’m all about it! No crazy knurling on the handles, it feels great and is ready to go without all the annoying loading of the handles and getting the stupid clips that work…Its READY!

Here’s a vid of the dead lifts. Not a ton of ROM but I don’t need a ton of ROM, just some pushing power that I can’t get from other equipment due to misc injury. I was pleased with my tbar distance too, its been a while I have been able to do any real wt for further then 100 feet with the tbar.

2 Likes