Brute's Book

As usual; only in this thread :slight_smile:

EDIT: And, the 370 DL…Jeez.

:slight_smile: Thanks Z! I was really happy to see him back–Mr. 370 :D!

Today was just a walk 6 miles- no vest, just a walk to air-iate myself out. Yesterday I felt like I was succumbing to a flu and took a complete rest day. I felt clammy and gross.

I am going to walk more because it really helps my mental state. Moss’s right knee is now starting up a limp for him so I’ll be buddyless for walking which isn’t a surprise but gives me dog mom guilt for time away from him since his long walk days are over :frowning: Also today he was itchy! Which means its officially warm weather time!!!

Today was nice and I slept in a bit and feel OK, but not enough to do any wt’s.

Lots of stress at work adding up, but there is a light in sight!!!

Today
fs 45x5, 135, 205, 225, 240
225x6 ( still excited about this!) 235x2 x 5 sets
205x7, 215x3, 225x2 x 5 sets
215x2 x 4 sets
2 pause fs 160x5, x4, x4, x5
farmer’s handle carries 180#/arm x 50 feet x 3 trips, only made it to 35 or so after that
sand bag picks- pick up only /to chest 100#, 130#
atlas stone picks 140#, fail at 167. I think 150 is doable but I can’t find a 150 bag or stone

yesterday a set of 10 pull ups

A bit down the last two days and it made this workout ok but I let myself skimp a bunch. I had no push to push myself. I don’t like it but it’s what it is. I’ll figure it out. Because HELLO!!! 225x6?? Still a cartwheel event event if I’m bummed and I at least appreciate THAT! FOR SURE!

1 Like

Today
225x3 x3 sets
215x4x3 sets
205x6, x5 x 2 sets
2 pause fs 170x5, x4 x 2 sets
a set of 9 pull ups

I think I am bracing a bit too much. LIKE ALL DAY LONG? Is that why I have a distended abdomen action going on? Could be the server pull up deficiency yet I just learned a tip that bracing for those helps too! Its everywhere!
:frowning: Ok, time to figure out how to amend this or whether I should just except this aesthetic issue.

Oohhh…the Big Dog has a bum knee?? Sorry to hear it, I’m sure it’ll pass.

Z! He does, its something I knew about last summer. Both were bad but the one he had surgically repaired was worse. We’re not doing surgery for this one because the last one nearly broke us both with post op care. He’ll just have to be retired–he really doesn’t seem to care much because he knows peanut butter and spinach both still exist :slight_smile:

Today
dead lifts 45x5, dimel dead lifts 135x15, normal dl’s 135, 225, 315, 340
t bar carries 367# x 33 feet x 4 trips
walking lunges with ssb bar only x 50 feet
oh carry 111# x 66 meters, x 33, x 33
farmer’s handle carries 172#/arm x 33 meters, x 15 meters
big red tbar type rig 195# x 50 feet, 305# x 50 feet, 415# x 50 feet x 2 trips, 395#x 50 feet
sand bag bearhug/front carry 100x 100 feet, 130x100 feet x 2 trips
round bag/squishy stone 150# x 50 feet x 2 trips

Today was a 44# wt’d vets walk for around 3.5 miles, then unloaded the vest and did 3.5 miles vest-less.

1 Like

You could try the “vacuum”:

Thanks Punny guy! I did do this! Its a good reminder not to brace all the time!

Today was wt’d vest walk around 54# x 2 miles, then a 3 ish mile walk without any wt.
A set of 8 pull ups

1 Like

Today
fs 45x5, 135, 205, 225, 240, 250
230x4, 230x3 x 3 sets
215x6, x5,x 2 sets
205x7, 215x2, 225x2, 235, 225, 225
2 pause fs 170x5 x 4 sets

I did some other stuff- minimal but not a lot. I woke up way early , just having trouble sleeping well the last few days.

UGH. Not a ton of time for a nap either before work so this will be a long day.
New building for my job is great and I think things will be much better already. walking to work is fabulous!

1 Like

yesterday
225x6, 225x3 x 5 sets
215x3 x 5 sets
225x2 x 2 sets
a set of 8 pull ups

today
t bar carries 347# 33 meters/108 feet x 4 trips
rigshaw empty (85#) x 50 feet, 175# x 100 feet, 265# x 100 feet, 355# x 100 feet, 425# x 50 feet, 445# x 35 feet or so
clean grip yoke walk empty x 50 feet, 280# x 50 feet

445#

2 Likes

Brutishly strong work.

Any difference in “feel” between the t bar and rigshaw carries? Or is it just that you can load the rigshaw with more weight?

Do all the weighted carries work have any carry (pun!) over to the deadlift in terms of grip strength? i.e. does it increase how much weight you can double overhand in the deadlift?

Thanks punnyguy! I am not sure ! I don’t work my normal dead lifts much lately and I’ve never done anything heavy with double overhand grip.

HOWEVER I can say my row of callouses has increased a lot, so much it can make one of my hands wonky for mixed grip but mixed is all I know. Its worth me trying the double over hand, I notice most strong man do it that way maybe for a good reason.

The rigshaw does feel a bit different in that I feel it more in my butt, its also easier to lift more wt since the handles are higher then the tbar and the knurling is so much less painful. Gym tbar hurts your hands-- whatever reason they decided to have such rough coarse knurling on it I am not sure.

My own t bar that I have I’ve made nice with some tape over the knurling and I’ve never tried to max on it but its worth a go! But I doubt I’d be able to go as much as the rigshaw.

Yesterday I drove to the field and loaded the plates on the handles but had zero gas. I unloaded some wt and still nope. Zero heart or life force available for funzie carries or a walk, nuthin! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Theme of the week is “EMBRACE THE SUCK” cuz its just how its going to be and I know it. NO expectations for anything. And that’s how I’m rolling. I did do a set of 8 pull ups weds I think but that was it.

Today I nearly took completely off again …but my Twinnie showed up yesterday with 2 60# sand bags for me…Moss wanted to walk a bit so I felt happy…the weather is nice… I couldn’t not use the bags!

Sand bag stuff in the field
60# bear hug carry x 1170 feet
120# bear hug/quasi zercher hold (2 sand bags in a army canvas bag that folded over my arms) x 570 feet x 2 trips
Shepard’s carry 60# bag (over the shoulders) x 570 feet
over the shoulder/fireman style 60# bag one side at a time 570 feet each
over head carry 60#x 570 feet
high zercher- elbows above shoulders 60# x 570 feet

Not real taxing but it felt good. I’m going to figure a better bag for the 2 bags to sit in so its easier, I think with some duct tape I can make my own sand bag “stone”.

My twin sister quit her job and has a refreshing zest for life! Its fun to be around! She plans on building an earth bag house and guess who gets access to sand and…bags? ME!!! WAHHHHAAA HAAA!!!

I get a lot out of functional strength work with my mask of describing it being sorta strongman. I know its not plotted or planned but the good hearty feel of it does a world of good for me. I’ve dropped a bit of muscle lately–for sure in my lats, my abs, and my shoulders. Maybe some good predawn weather and some farm hand type exercise will help me out. I think it will :wink:

1 Like

Today
225x5, 230x2 x 3 sets
205x6, 215x4, 225x2, 235
205x5, 215x3, 225x2, 235
205x5
2 pause fs 165x4 x 4 sets
a set of 5 pull ups
shield carries 4 trips x 50 feet

First time for this thing! I wasn’t able to figure out how to lift it before but I got it! I think its 140#–but I am not sure, it didn’t feel that heavy so I’ll just list it as a shield. I do like it! Hammerings, butt felt it on the drive home.

Here’s the shield walk

1 Like

Today
dead lifts 45x5, dimel hook grip dl’s 155x15
regular dl’s 155, 265, 315, belted 355
farmer’s handle carries 182#/arm x 40 feet, x 40 feet, x 40 feet, x 30 feet
farmer’s handle dead lift and hold 202#/arm
then 112#/arm x 100 feet x two trips
pull ups 6, 5

yesterday’s pull ups were 2 sets of 5

An early 2am work day today and I took a wee nap before the token deadlift day. My back feels FANCY after the shield walks! For sure continuing with those because I feel strong and like I pumped the entire sheet of muscles on my back from top to bottom.

Big Bad Brute might show up in this log…as is crazy wild work outs or …who knows. I have some personal stuff to pull through …and I shall!!

Today
fs 45x5, 135, 205, 225, 235 FAIL , sink, plop down on the safeties 245…yeah and then I burst into tears. At the bb gym, but no one was there UGHHHHHHHH.
MARGHHH!!! Alright , ok, got it sorta together did. 225x2 x 12 sets, 225 x1

That’s all I had today-- SO FAR. I called out of work because I’m not going to be doing anyone’s pet any good today. Being a blob of emotions won’t go well and I’m know it! SHIT ASS. That’s what it is and that’s just how it will be.

I’m using My Beloved Mossimo to his full cheesecake cuddle abilities. I’m going to try and teach him how to jump through a hula hoop. I’ll get through it. I’ll get through it!!! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

update as of 2pm: Two separate 5ish miles walks and some pull ups

pull ups- a set of 7, a set of 5
Walking it out. Also Moss is learning how to jump through a hula hoop! He’s going great!
I picked up a 70# sand bag at Lowes, now I’m looking for tips on duct tape shaping it so its more globe like. It’ll be ok, I’ve got so much to be thankful for.

I won’t be a saddo Brute! I’m lucky, very lucky.

Today
T bar carries 364#x 33 meters x 4 trips
T bar dl only 379#
Farmers handle carries 182#/arm x 50 feet x 4 trips
192#/arm x 30 feet
Handle dl only 202#/arm x ten second hold
Shield carries x 4 trips of 50 feet, added 10# to it x 2 trips of 50 feet
Keg walks 100#x 100 feet, 75# 100 feet
Sand bag stones 75# stone to alternating shoulders x 5 reps
Got the mystery sand bag into the lap position but that’s it . The bag could be 150 or 200# no idea without a label.
Push presses 95#x5 x3 sets
5ish mile walk

1 Like

Only the baddest of the bad lift stuff w/o giving a crap how much it weighs!

HA! Thanks punnyguy, I appreciate it! I still have to get it up though :)!!!

Today just a walk.
yesterday did a set of 8 pull ups, a set of 5

Five mile walk today and that’s it. I’m sore still- arms and hamstrings- which I think is due to the shield and keg carries.

I did check out a strongman meet my gym had today. I lasted an hour or so before fleeing, it cemented that I will never compete since THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN! No thanks!!

Also the truck pull for the ladies to pull was empty, The guys pulled the truck-- with strippers holding a flag from the strip bar across the street. Yeah.

1 Like