Brute's Book

" And our top story tonight, comes from a gym in Wheat ridge…"

1 Like

Along with your bear spray, check into your local laws ( you never know in Colorado) and think about buying a 24 inch model ASP baton, more convenient than a club and extremely efficient in dealing out pain to predators. As a added bonus, its not that expensive. BTW, there are several threads on the Combat Forum concerning non-lethal impact weapons. Be extremely aware walking around “Truck Stops” , they are simply game preserves for predators.

Also, Just to be clear, I am not trying to force my views of self defense on you, that is a personal decision. The article below is certainly worth reading. Be safe, watch your 6.

HA!!! OH GOD Z…Just wait for hte picture below. I didn’t have my spray!

Idaho!!! THANK YOU! I appreciate the recommendation! I am all about self defense, and I don’t think its ever bad to be prepared. Its not only a truck stop , but a Flying-J which according to my twin who was a trucker , is a notorious chain for letting crazy stuff go down. Nothing wrong with preparedness!!!

This was today. This picture. At my gym. I was able to do a few dead lifts and was going to try and move to rack pulls but these people took every piece of equipment possible. Set up their land of hoarding in the way of everyone else, rude, and defensive about asking them if I could work in…YEAH. I didn’t work in, I didn’t even get to use the mats the guy has under the wild bamboo squat band baloney. Because "no, I need it. " What you can’t see is a band looped around another machine they were taking over as well.

OH MY GOD. I can’;t stand this place. Unless its 3 in the morning.

Here’s what I did do
dead lifts hook grip 45x10, 135, 205, mixed 275, 325, 350, 355
off two mats 360

I really tried but I was jsut so pissed off I had to leave the place. I went and did some carries in the field.

farmer’s handle carries 112# / arm for maybe 1/4 mile total. Stops of course, I just was raging and angry from rude neon lady.

You need to direct them to a crossfit box.

Oh my word, that’s a real jumbled mess of crap going on there :slight_smile: Mats, boxes, bamboo bar… Of course your right; once the sun is up, you are pretty much screwed at that place!

My buddy is staying across from the T&A at Ward rd. I did warn him as well, for that and ‘vice-type’ reasons.

Idaho does post a lot of great info/links ect over in Combat; other members as well. It’s worth a look when you have a chance.

And your twin was a trucker…
Train hard.
Z.

Thanks guys! I am looking into the baton!! I need to figure out if its legal to carry on my person but if it is I will pick one up.

Z! My twinnie drove big rigs for 10 years! Thank god she doesn’t anymore! However she’s quite into self protection. I don’t feel confortable having a gun but many of my family members have concealed carry permits. And use them. I prefer dogs, bear spray, and clubs!

I know I bitch about my gym, and here’s some more. Just to demonstrate the scene when its not 3:30 am. Today I went just to do pull ups and rows.

Take up two racks for a photo shoot, leaning over an empty bar. "Try chatting with each other, we’ll shoot some candids. " Really?

And here’s the parking spot that I use because weirdly people usually don’t park in it. OH MY GOD.

Pull ups 8, 6, sets of 5 -3 for total of 40
B o rows 130x5 x 8 sets

Its so close to my house. And $45 a month…but fo fuck’s sake.

1 Like

Geez that gym looks like fun. Makes me glad I was able to convert the basement in to a gym.
On the baton topic, Colorado Revised statutes 18-12-101 defines weapons. I am not a lawyer but when I read this section a collapsible baton does not appear on the prohibited weapon or illegal weapon list.
On the self-protection topic, whatever you decide to use make sure you are familiar with it and you can access it when needed. A gun,knife, pepper spray or baton are not helpful if you can not access it quickly. Most attackers are ambush predators. Some may let you see them coming, they are the ones that thrive on fear.
Make sure you are able to retain the weapon so it can not be used against you.
You are probably aware of most of this already but I feel the need to let you know.
If you have to defend yourself a couple of things to keep in mind are the police may not be your friend in these situations. Some of the elements of self-defense include being reasonably in fear for your
safety and an attempt to disengage.
You might consider a weapon that has another purpose. The bikers use a large flashlight. It has an alternative purpose. So you could say you were carrying it to be able to see in the dark.
I hope you stay safe.
More to follow if you are interested

Thanks HKD-- I am interested! I actually have a big maglite for my car for the same idea that I could use. Those batons look handy.

My bear spray is kept right on my chest pocket ready to go. And the lil club however I put in a backpack I wear which has inside as well an adjustable umbrella that pops out for breaking up a dog fight…as well as a bag of kibble to throw to divert stray dogs, a rain poncho, spare poop bags but I’d have to get it out from the bag through a bunch of stuff.

I know the backpack could be used against me to pull me down but its mostly anti dog fight stuff I need for walkimg Mossimo, and he’d a big deterant for people attackers since he totally doesn’t like strangers. If I am on my own I can take a differant approach to storing stuff. Or hold the maglite on my hand. I appreciate all tips and ideas if you have any!

I’ve had to use my tiny boat airhorm I also keep in my opposite chest pocket more than a few times to scare loose dogs who tried to meet Mossi-- I’m very anti dog fight so I ward them away quickly. Blast that horn and they usually flee. I do not wear any type of head phones either so I cam hear stuff, usually its loose dogs I’m listening for.

I told my sister about these topics and now she really wants a baton for when she can’t carry. We are looking together to be sure its kosher. I do know cops can be wary of things, but if its between a legal issue and a attacker I’d prefer to live to fight the legal battle.

My twin is quite into this! She’s emailing the sheriff to clarify since “bludgeons” are listed as not ok to have but not batons specifically and also we need to see how we are permitted to carry them but lucky for me my twin is alll over it. She’s one of those preparedness people-- has her own dashboard camera, concealed license, can be fairly Ron Swonsen like…that kind of thought process and I get to get the spoils of her research.

I absolutely will learn how to use whatever fancy protection I choose which is why knives or a guns are not for me. I can feel confident with a basic mace or clubbing object to wield for confidence and how to keep them from taking it from me

I’ve been in some nasty “fights” in my past but they were not with strangers and I did not think to fight for my life physically more like fight to get away and talk them out of going too far. I know some basic anti choke moves and but I haven’t though of them in YEARS or freakin practiced! Its a good refresher having this come up in a thread to be vigilant and prepared. I am fully aware a man can out muscle me regardless of my strength training.

Speaking of training- my bands came from Hong Kong! Band pull a parts have bee added to the daily chores. 100 a day spaced out for now, light/red band to start. First time ever doing those today and so far so good, no collar bone pain at all.

I am impressed, you have thought this over. Your preparation and gear you carry is well thought out.
Even if the sheriff says the baton is okay I would like you to consider a couple more things. One is the old saying, never leave interpretation of the law up to the police. All that means is I have known officers that were not well versed in certain aspects of the law. You could encounter one that is not up to speed on self-defense topics. Second thing is all citizens could benefit from a little guidance on how to file a police report when they have been attacked. Especially if they defend themselves and injure an attacker.
I am glad you are aware that all your strength, and you are quite certainly strong, may not ensure you win a violent encounter. I would guess you are pretty street savvy, that is important.
I am sorry to hear you have been involved in bad fights. I could talk self-defense all day, but I think you have a good plan and do not need much guidance.
Band pull a parts are great and I am glad to hear you are adding them to your routine.
Stay safe

Really good advise from hkd. I have been SF/Military/State/Federal LEO all my life. He is correct: dont leave the interpretation of the law to anyone but the DA. Doing a little reading, Colorado is another fu*ked up state on self defense. I would advise you to just obtain a concealed weapons permit for your baton, and you can always add a handgun later. As hdk mentioned, there are many aspects to survival, what works for me here in Afghanistan will not be legal in the States, Europe, or basically anywhere outside a war zone. I am going to post a few links to some discussions on the Combat Forum that will hopefully not put you to sleep:)).

I am also going to post a website devoted to women’s self defense created by Kathy Jackson, which looks at self defense for women, from her point of view.

Remember you work too hard at your job and your training to have some peice of crap try to take your life.

www.corneredcat.com ( Jackson’s Website)

http://www.my-self-defense.com/expandable-baton-laws.html

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/is-it-legal-for-a-resident-of-colorado-to-carry-a--1249823.html

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/situational_awareness

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/active_shooter

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_boxing_fighting_mma_combat/knife_self_defense

To add to the level of screwed up for Colorado we do not have concealed weapon permits only concealed handgun licenses.

WHOA!!! :D!!! Thanks Guys!!!

I really appreciate all the info! And I SHALL look into it! Thank you!! :D!!

Today
fs 45x5, 135, 200, 215, 225, 235
215x7, 225x3, 235
215x4, 225x3, 235
215x4, 225x3, 230
pull ups 2 sets of 5

1 Like

Today
dead lifts hook grip 45x12, 135, 205, mixed grip 275, 330, 355
rack pulls just below the knee hook grip 135x3, 225x3, mixed grip 315x3, 355x3, 375x2
pull ups 6, 3 sets of 5

yesterdays pull up total 41
bo rows 125x 4 sets of 8, x5, x4
100 band pull aparts

Dead lifted in sleeves today and I think it helped. I have a left knee cave on some heavier deads, which I think is why my right is angry a lot for having to I guess pick up the slack. I’ve been really trying to get those knees out, feet pushed down.

1 Like

Parking, Like a BOSS!! That’s pretty cool. The look on your face is the best part :slight_smile:

:D!!! Thanks Z!!!

Todays gym time was far better. The deadlift squat racks guys were gone. Also lucked out having the side door unlocked so there was a nice breeze right on the rack I was in.

FS 45x5, 135, 200, 215, 230, 240
220x5, 230x2, 240
215x4, 225x3, 235
215x3, 225x3, 235
clean grip reverse alternating lunges total reps not per leg 145x10, 140x9, 135x14
back extensions
pull ups 10, 5, 6, 5, sets of 3-5 for a total of 44
b o rows 135x6 x 5 sets at home after laundry 135x8, x7

Some body english in there for the rows but I’m getting them in.

Also came to the decision to have Mossimo not only get some rads done but I will do surgery if he needs it on his stifle. It took me a while mentally to get there for a few reasons, but now that I’ve decided I’m on board with it I’m looking forward to finding out the next steps. One of my absolute favorite things ever is to go for long walks with Moss, I gotta get him fixed!

Next Thursday he get his sedated rads ( he’s terrible at the vet, as a tech I’m ALLLLL about sedation. Its hard for pets and techs to restrain a non compliant animal for orthopedic xrays) so I can get some idea of what I need to do next.

Its a big relief to have made a damn decision instead of the state of dread and waffling I was in. As in I guess most things that was the hard part. I hope at least!

ALSO: the pull a parts are pretty helpful! I am glad I started those! I have high hopes of working them with more resistance later down he road as well.

1 Like

Today
farmers handle carries 112#/arm for 570 feet, then x570 feet with two stops
tbar carries 285# x total of 4 trips of 570 feet - stops in there for sure
farmers handles 112# x 570 x 2 trips four stops

A walk in between

pull ups 8, sets of 6-2 for a total of 45 ss with bo rows 135# x 7 sets of 5, then misc reps for a total of 45 reps

1 Like

Today
fs 45x5, 135, 200, 215, 230, 240
215x7, 225x2, 235
220x4, 230x2, 240
220x3, 230
215x3, 225x2
pull ups 2 sets of 5, 4, 2 sets of 3

1 Like

Today
dead lifts hook grip 45x12, 135, 205, mixed grip 275, 330, 360
rack pulls off six mats, below the knee hook grip 135x3, 225x3, mixed 315x3, 345x3, 365x2
rack pulls ss with pull ups 365 off 5 matts, 6 pull ups, 365x4 mats 5 pull ups, 365x3 mats 4 pull ups, 365x2 mats 4 pull ups, 365x1 mat 4 pull ups , then 4 pull ups

yesterdays stuff at home 30 pull ups
b o rows 135 x 10 sets of 5
band pull aparts- thicker band about 10 sets of 5

1 Like

Came here counting on pics/vids; left disappointed.

Nice lifting.