T Nation

Brutal Ski Jumping Crash

World Championships in Japan.

Guys name is Daito Takahashi. His ski binding broke after take off and he couldn’t control it.

Holy shit… At least he was moving when he stopped sliding.

And then there’s Simon Dumont going 200 feet over an 80 foot jump.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vjWS7UHR9U4

Ouch…that is gonna leave a mark.

I’ve always wondered how people make the leap to get started in ski jumping in the first place? I mean, there’s pretty much no in-between; there aren’t gradually bigger and bigger jumps that you can practice on. There’s got to be that very first time where one day you’ve just gotta’ go up that big 80-meter sucker (or whatever exactly the size is) and give it a whirl.

I’ve been skiing (regular downhill skiing) since I was about 12, but to try that . . . No fucking way!!!

That was hard to watch. He was completely helpless and he hit so hard. You would think the slope would be steep enough to spread out the impact, but clearly there was plenty of impact.

I’d have to watch it again, but, didn’t he bounce?

[quote]Damici wrote:
I’ve always wondered how people make the leap to get started in ski jumping in the first place? I mean, there’s pretty much no in-between; there aren’t gradually bigger and bigger jumps that you can practice on. There’s got to be that very first time where one day you’ve just gotta’ go up that big 80-meter sucker (or whatever exactly the size is) and give it a whirl.

I’ve been skiing (regular downhill skiing) since I was about 12, but to try that . . . No fucking way!!![/quote]

Im staying in Slovenia for a few weeks. They pulled the world record jump her on 2005 I think. 239 metres i believe.

My friend said they have a small jump for the kids near here somewhere. Onto grass I think.

The big sky flyer jump is crazy.

Tanner Halls miss at Chads Gap has got to be he worst one I have seen.

The way he says “my ankles are broken!!my ankles are broken!!” in such a matter of fact way and then the film guy yells back “your ankles are broken”

Also you can’t see it as well in the video but if you ever see the pics you can really see how bad it was- he didn’t have the luxury of landing on downslope, when he first hits the ground its an upslope…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcJoUWeGmvg

[quote]Damici wrote:

I’ve been skiing (regular downhill skiing) since I was about 12, but to try that . . . No fucking way!!![/quote]

no they have progressively bigger jumps. i have friends who did jumping in high school. its true alot of the smaller jumps are now defunct but many places in vermont and new hampshire maintain small hills like 10, 18, 25, 38, 50 etc. i think wisconsin and michigan are into it too but i’m not sure.

Slight miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBZPfA4B_s4&NR

[quote]swivel wrote:
Damici wrote:

I’ve been skiing (regular downhill skiing) since I was about 12, but to try that . . . No fucking way!!!

no they have progressively bigger jumps. i have friends who did jumping in high school. its true alot of the smaller jumps are now defunct but many places in vermont and new hampshire maintain small hills like 10, 18, 25, 38, 50 etc. i think wisconsin and michigan are into it too but i’m not sure.

[/quote]

New Hampshire is the only state to sanction high school ski jumping.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2007/02/18/nh_only_state_to_sanction_high_school_ski_jumping/

Since this has become a crashing thread. We can’t leave out the Hermanator.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xXvmvA-KN2M

Comes back after this fall and wins two golds. Amazing…

Dude that is awful. Might as well jump into a brick wall.

ohhh hell here is another classic.

Respect Ski Movie Trailer.

At about the 2 min mark there are a bunch of scenes of skiers caught in avalanches. Skiing at its purest.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
swivel wrote:
Damici wrote:

New Hampshire is the only state to sanction high school ski jumping.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2007/02/18/nh_only_state_to_sanction_high_school_ski_jumping/[/quote]

yes sanctioned. still there are many jumps maintained by clubs and private schools. i know vermont academy has jumping as does gould academy in maine.

Check this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERUs0DtwZk

I lived in a small town in Wisconsin (Westby) for several years. They do have very small jumps that kids start out on and move progressively to larger jumps. It is a very big deal to do this in some of these areas. Every kid looks forward to it.

“Ha ha, this’ll be awesome!!! I’m gonna do this, later I’ll have a steak, a couple beers, chase some tail, maybe have her – hey, wait, was my ski supposed to come of like thi-- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

Needless to say, Mr. Takahashi’s day did not go quite as planned.

[quote]Damici wrote:

Same here. I’ve been skiing since I was 8, and during a trip to Austria I visited the Winter Olympic site in Innsbruck, and climbed to the top of the ski jump and looked down it.

Absolutely terrifying. I say I’d do just about anything for enough money, but I just don’t know if I could do it even if I wanted to.