*BRUTAL SIMPLICITY*

Damn nice workout! WOW!!

AH! I know who you are - you’re the ENERGIZER bunny! You’re a frickin’ machine.

Damn nice session. Make sure that chest cold doesn’t become pneumonia.

wow nice log so far

Chest and Tris together have always been my choice. Lookin real good.

Ok… legs really sore today! This is what Arnold meant by “good pain”… it means growth and progress.

My tris and chest are tender as well… this is awesome.

Weighed in at 274 pounds this morning.

Calories yesterday 2304/ protein 198/ carbs/ 148.

Thankfully, a day off today. I say this, not really meaning it. I know I need time to recover, but I can hear the iron beckoning me. I like to throw the IPOD on (loud), pull my cap down low… grab something heavy and go to my happy place. The gym can be packed… but this is my alone time.

I am not anti-social… I am there to accomplish something. I do not meet anyones eyes… except for others who are seriously engaged as well… and wearing head phones. Even then, it is a courteous nod, or a thumbs up, or a wry grin while the sweat drips off the end of our noses.

I had a good compliment the other day from the this young fella who was working out at the same time as I, and we weere both leaving the gym having finished a leg workout. He is in a firefighting program (student) in a local college, and was asking me some questions about real life experiences.

Anyways, after I mentioned that 2 of my 3 boys were in college for the same thing… he asked me my age, and when I told him, he looked at me sincerely and stated “Wow… you are pretty damn intense for an older guy”.

I stopped dead in my tracks at this time, turned slowly to look at this young guy, not sure how to take his comment… and the look on his face was kinda funny… like “oh oh”. His eyes look left and right, darting quickly, like looking for an escape route… and I chuckled… said “thanks”. Kid says (stammering) I don’t mean you are old, but your kids are the same age as me, and I could not see my dad in here doing what you do.

I then asked him if he had ever spoke to his dad about his past. Kid says his dad used to play rugby and hockey… and old pictures he looked “jacked”. I told him his dad should get his ass back in the gym… and could probably show him a thing ot two.

As I was leaving, kid says to me he wants to do my “back workout” (hams and calves too) with me on Tuesday May 13th. This is going to be a deadlift day too. I’m gonna have some fun.

Kid is pretty ripped, but has a neck like a stack of dimes. Gonna show him what “the old guy” can do…

Bunny, Your a lucky guy. Having someone to work with is pretty damn lucky, regardless of their age or gender. That is the thing I really miss about this time thru the gym. In my college days I had my fellow bouncers, the old football players, and my oly buddies. Now its me and the soccer mom teacher ladies.

They however are far better to look at, my problem is I can’t see crap without my glasses and I take them off when I work out!

And the Ipod is the best “Do Not Disturb” sign ever invented…Expensive, but very effective

Keep up the good work bunny.

Hey Willy…
I usually work out by myself. The guys and gals are pretty good in my gym… if you need a spot or something they are pretty approachable.

There are a few good looking persons of the female species in my gym, but few and far between. There is another gym about 2 miles from mine, with shag carpets, chrome weights, a juice bar… you get the picture. Most of the hotties go there.

I will stick with my rusty, smelly, cracked concretre water drippin’ from the ceiling gym! And it is $3oo cheaper a year than the prissy place… lol

Good work outs. Having good people to train with can really help you step up your workouts. There’s this one extremely “good looking person of the female species” works out where I do. She usually asks me to spot for her when she benchs. My pleasure. Ego boost there. Then one day she says “thanks, you don’t bother me like the young guys do”. Exit ego, enter reality. Stick with you’re old gym.

LOL…Funny story about the kid in the gym bunny. I get the same looks from the youmg bucks in my gym. They watch like they think it’s cool, but they don’t say anything. Pretty sure I could out work most of them. Great lifting Bro!

@#$!%
Weighed myself this morning… 276.5 pounds!
How in the hell do I gain weight after 14 days of dieting and working my ass off?

I am pissed… good thing, 'cause I am off to the gym… Back and Hams today. Oh man… look out… here I come

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
@#$!%
Weighed myself this morning… 276.5 pounds!
How in the hell do I gain weight after 14 days of dieting and working my ass off?

I am pissed… good thing, 'cause I am off to the gym… Back and Hams today. Oh man… look out… here I come[/quote]

Two weeks isn’t really enough time. You’ve been hitting it hard on light calories and your body is still in shock. I think you may still be light on your calories as well which causes your body to hold on to everything it can. Have you been tracking sodium intake? That is notorious for causing weight gain. How’s your water intake? If you don’t get enough once again your body holds onto it.

I like to check my weight everyday, but I don’t “control” over it. I guess it’s more of a matter of habit more than anything.

I did find myself getting caught up in the clinic thingy on the site, and damn near got my head in my ass over that. Then I realized I would try to eat right, and loose a lb or 2 a week. And I would give up the fact water weight would effect things.

The weight you throw around is impressive as hell!!

Can’t wait to hear about deadlift day with your young friend. Keep working hard, you are kicking ass.

Just got home from work… long day.

Thanks for talking me down guys. I’m not expecting a miracle in 2-3 weeks, but I was expecting… something, a little ray of sunshine.

I went back and reviewed my food journal from the last 3 weeks

… with an honest independent state of mind… and I have had a few things here and there I shouldn’t have. I figured with the energy expenditures I would be able to still see some progress.

I also have not incorporated a cardio element to this schedule yet… so, I have to stop my whining.

Also, as Soldog has kicked me in the ass… he is right, I have not been ingesting enough water, and I have no idea what my sodium intake is. All I have been paying attention to is calories/ protein/ carbs.

Ok… May 12th caloric intake 1828 calories, 251 grams of protein and 110 grams carbs.

My caloric intake today was 1890 calories, 230 grams of protein and 86 grams of carbs.

Seems I have started to get my protein up… perhaps there is hope.

NOW… for the fun stuff!

I get to the gym, the kid is there, hair all nice and gelled up… looking like something from a GQ Mag… so of course I had to bust his balls… asked him if they sold men’s clothes where he bought his shorts… lol. You know I was already in a foul mood when I got to the gym.

Did some stretches, warmed up…

BACK/ HAMSTRINGS/ CALVES

Wide Grip Chins supersetted with Close Grip Chins, no rest between both sets (just bodyweight)
1- x4/ x4
2- x3/ x3
3- x3/ x2
4- x3/ x2
5- x3/ x4 (really pissed of now… pathetic)

The kid actually kicked my ass in the chinups, first set I think he did 8-10 wide grip chins and then 10-12 close grip chins.

Deadlifts (no belt or wraps)
1- 135x20
2- 225x12
3- 315x5
4- 315x5
5- 405x4 (used straps)
6- 405x3 (used straps)
7- 475x1 (wanted to see what I could do)

The kid petered out at 315… he did 3 reps, then made an attempt at 365, didn’t get it. The kid’s hair startin’ to droop a little now… lol

T-Bar Rows
1- 90x18
2- 135x11
3- 180x6
4- 205x5
5- 215x4 then burn set 135x7

The Kid hits 180 his final set, he is breathing hard now and he is sweating… more than I am! But, he has a grin on his face… we are havin’ fun now…

Dumbell Rows (one arm at a time)
1- 80x13
2- 100x7
3- 120x6 (used strap)
4- 140x4 (used strap)

Kid uses 110 his last set… now picking the skin hanging off his caalouses… lol

Hyperextensions supersetted with standing single leg ham curls. Ham curls completed first, immediately followed by Hypers (bodyweight only)
1- 70x12/ bwx15
2- 80x7/ bwx12
3- 90x6/ bwx11
4- 100x5/ bwx9

Lying Ham Curls
1- 90x10
2- 100x9
3- 110x7
4- 120x5

The kid is now walking like his diaper needs changing.

I tell him we are now going to do some calves… be balks, and advises he has to go to “a meeting”… thanks me for the workout… and he waddles away.

Standing Calf Raise
195x15
225x10
255x9
265x7

Donkey Calf Raise
180x20
270x16
360x12
450x9

I am done. Feel better now, some stress relief. I should have done some cardio, but i would have been late for work. I know, it’s an excuse… but today, a valid one.

As I leave the gym, I see the kid, sittin’ in his car in the parking lot, on the phone.

He waves me over and states “Can you do me up a work out routine… dude?”

I tell him I will help him define some goals… and then I gave him the info for this T-Nation site… where all of his questions will be answered.

I told him if he called me “dude” again or came on this forum… I would squish him like a bug. We laughed about that… and I said, “Dude… I’m serious.” LOL!

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
Also, as Soldog has kicked me in the ass… he is right, I have not been ingesting enough water, and I have no idea what my sodium intake is. All I have been paying attention to is calories/ protein/ carbs.
[/quote]

Wasn’t meant to be kick in the ass… just a couple of questions from someone who has been there.

by the way…

Great session!

Thanks Dog… I needed it.

Called into work this morning… not very much sleep. I think I will take today off… still fighting the last stages of this cold.

On a brighter note… for shits and giggles, got on the scale this morning. It read 272… hmmm (small grin). Hammies and back feel tight… but good.

I read a bit about sodium intake (daily amounts), and it is all conflicting each other.

Anybody able to shed some light, give some advice on what my daily allowance should be? I am not on any medications nor do I have any health concerns regarding high blood pressure or anything.

The kid sent me a text message this morning too… said he had a hard time washing his hair this morning he was so sore! Also said he was surfing T-Nation site… may start an account. If he does, I will let you guys know his name. Seems like a good kid, just a little too arrogant. God… I sound like my father… rest his soul!

On the daily amounts of sodium - I personally don’t go out of my way to restrict salt. At least beyond not using the salt shaker. Tracking it is fairly easy if you use something like fitday.com or caloriecount.about.com and then you can see if higher intake levels cause you to gain significant water weight. It affects me that way along with excessive carbs. Anyway somewhere around 2500mg is probably near the recommended amout for someone your size.

I was looking at you rmeasurements from the beginning of the thread and I think that maybe you shouldn’t be concerned so much with weight loss.

From the looks of it you have a naturally large frame and are naturally strong. I think you should just concentrate on body recomposition, keeping the body weight the same, but changing it muscle to fat ratio.

I think your calories are too low, as Soldog mentioned for the the amount of work you’re doing and for your natural size. If you do it for too long you’ll start getting sick more often after a while. Keep the carbs down, sure, to affect fat burning, but total calories in the 3000 range. Shoot - according to some calculations I need to get 3600 calories a day to get to my intended weight of 200. What’s that mean for you, who trains harder than me?

I gotta say, too, that it’s very unusual for a man of your size to be able to knock off 4 reps of wide grip chins for so many sets so soon after coming back to training. You got nothing to be concerned about there. Mariusz Pudszianowsky, world’s strongest man, can only do 6-8 per set @ 280 - 300 pounds of body weight. You’re doing pretty good.

Happy you’ve got someone to train with. Nothing better to speed up progress!

I was kinda thinkin’ the same thing Skid. Bunny, you’re a big guy, that fat gonna go away as you replace it with muscle, and your weight may not change, in fact it may go up, but you’ll be leaner and stronger. Just stick with the plan, eat well, and lift hard and heavy, I think you’ll enjoy the results.