Brush vs. Hard Contact

So I was taught with the method of staying over the bar, keeping it close and then brushing. Everyone else at my gym is big on the “Bulgarian” training system and making hard contact with the bar.

Anyone care to explain the advantages of this technique of pulling?

depends on your levers.

no point driving the bar out away from you… the point is to give it as much upward momentum as you can. it is probably better to post vids of where you start missing and look for suggestions on what you might be able to to in order to get that weight rather than worrying too much about radically different techniques (that i suspect have more to do with what is optimal for people of different lever lengths than anything else)

BTW I have a lump in the groin area from the contact with the bar which got bigger and bigger. Fortunately I’ve adjusted (widened) my grip and it slowly goes away.

I got that too paperclip :frowning:
Fortunately mine went away, too. I think with a wider grip. Sometimes I hit my pelvis pretty hard, though. Pretty glad I’m not a dude lolz.

[quote]alexus wrote:
depends on your levers.

no point driving the bar out away from you… the point is to give it as much upward momentum as you can. it is probably better to post vids of where you start missing and look for suggestions on what you might be able to to in order to get that weight rather than worrying too much about radically different techniques (that i suspect have more to do with what is optimal for people of different lever lengths than anything else)[/quote]

This got me thinking, is there any comprehensive information on this? I found an interesting article on a British news website:

'Top marathon runners tend to be lean and light, star swimmers are gangly things with huge feet and gold medal weightlifters are solid blocks of muscle with short arms and legs. So does your physique - and indeed the way your body works - fit you for a particular sport, or does your body develop a certain way because of your chosen sport?

“It’s about 55:45, genes to environment,” says Mike Rennie, professor of clinical physiology at the University of Nottingham Medical School in Derby who cites the case of identical twins from Germany, one of whom was an endurance athlete, the other a power sportsman, “They look quite different, despite being identical twins.” ’

The key thing here is (as everyone already knew Im sure) ‘weightlifters are solid blocks of muscle with short arms and legs’. For me this isn’t good as my femurs are as long as my torso. However the article suggests it’s 55:45, genes to environment, so there is hope for anyone. Of course all out obsessive, intense, and long-term commitment will always yield results.

Smash the bar as hard as you can whilst keeping it close, DO NOT LET THE BAR COME AWAY FROM THE BODY. Nothing good comes out of this.

Adjust handwidth so the bar doesn’t catch you on your penis. The bar clatters me about my pelvis and I’m fine with it.

Koing

BTW I don’t train myself to bump the bar, it just happens.

[quote]alexus wrote:
I got that too paperclip :frowning:
Fortunately mine went away, too. I think with a wider grip. Sometimes I hit my pelvis pretty hard, though. Pretty glad I’m not a dude lolz.[/quote]

If you were a guy, don’t forget to tuck your junk under :wink:

Pull the bar in, clatter it hard, and pull under it harder. Looping the bar away from you is usually a result of a) not pulling the bar in, and b) not pulling under the bar.

I’ve struggled more with keeping the bar close with snatches. However, that’s mostly a cue problem from getting anxious and accelerating too early. For the clean, I’ve always pretty naturally been able to keep the bar close.

I guess what I’m getting at is, what is the advantage of thinking about bumping the bar vs. brushing. Anyone have any ideas about what leverage works for what?

The question is mostly academic as compared to my jerk, my pull is not really my limiting point and continues to improve.

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:
I’ve struggled more with keeping the bar close with snatches. However, that’s mostly a cue problem from getting anxious and accelerating too early. For the clean, I’ve always pretty naturally been able to keep the bar close.

I guess what I’m getting at is, what is the advantage of thinking about bumping the bar vs. brushing. Anyone have any ideas about what leverage works for what?

The question is mostly academic as compared to my jerk, my pull is not really my limiting point and continues to improve.[/quote]

There is no advantage. It’s a different coaching cue that different coaches use.

I coach ninearms so thats what I tell him, sweep the bar in, smash the bar, drive hips up, get head uphigh, pull the f0ck under it, snap the bar up. DONE.

DO NOT SWING THE BAR OUT!

Koing

bumping the bar allows you to get ur hips into the lift more. if ur talking about the brush that i’m thinking of then it really doesn’t allow the glut to get into the lift as much as it could which is why every top level lifter bumps the bar to some extent. the amount of ‘bump’ is really determined by personal preference and efficiency(aka keeping the bar close while accelerating it upwards)

[quote]XiaoNio wrote:

The question is mostly academic as compared to my jerk, my pull is not really my limiting point and continues to improve.[/quote]

For snatches, the wider the grip is, the higher the bar is in relation to your body and it will make the bar bump with less force according to my experience.

Usually lifters make contact with the bar when they extend the hip forcefully. Your grip width have some influence on this matter like I’ve said.

Hey, guys. Funny this thread came up because i was wondering the same thing. I had been getting a pain in the pubic region (for lack of a better term) where the bar makes contact on snatches. Widened my grip slightly so that it didn’t contact the tender area and it’s all good now.

However, I still ‘bump’ the bar. I do not swing the bar out intentionally. I think it is just due to the amount of hip extension I am getting and figure that it outweighs trying to avoid contact in exchange for less hip extension… thoughts?

[quote]coolusername wrote:
Hey, guys. Funny this thread came up because i was wondering the same thing. I had been getting a pain in the pubic region (for lack of a better term) where the bar makes contact on snatches. Widened my grip slightly so that it didn’t contact the tender area and it’s all good now.

However, I still ‘bump’ the bar. I do not swing the bar out intentionally. I think it is just due to the amount of hip extension I am getting and figure that it outweighs trying to avoid contact in exchange for less hip extension… thoughts?[/quote]

I use to have the pubic region pain, once had a blue bruise right across above my penis.

This is the bar path of the Snatch.

It will come away from the vertical line that the bar starts off on but you want to minimise it. It’s a very tall S shape. The above shows it off. Smash the bar but keep it close and going up. DONE.

Koing