T Nation

Bruises from Benching

I did some barbell bench presses yesterday after I had worked my back out pretty thoroughly. While I was doing them I could kind of feel my back scraping against the sides of the bench. In the showers afterwards I notcied 2 large bruises/scratches, 1 on either side of my upper back next to my armpits.

I was thinking this was because.

1. my bench press form just plain sucks
  2. I’m too fat/wide for the bench
  3. something to do with having worked out my back before hand

or a combination of all 3.

I’ve tried searching this site and the internet for information on these but didnt find anything really helpful.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

[quote]Number 34 wrote:
I did some barbell bench presses yesterday after I had worked my back out pretty thoroughly. While I was doing them I could kind of feel my back scraping against the sides of the bench. In the showers afterwards I notcied 2 large bruises/scratches, 1 on either side of my upper back next to my armpits.

I was thinking this was because.

1. my bench press form just plain sucks
  2. I’m too fat/wide for the bench
  3. something to do with having worked out my back before hand

or a combination of all 3.

I’ve tried searching this site and the internet for information on these but didnt find anything really helpful.

Any information would be greatly appreciated[/quote]

Because I bench with a relatively big arch, I tend to drive my upper back into the bench pretty hard. Sometimes I end up with “bench hickeys” on either side of my upper back even when I’m not wearing my bench shirt. I think its just because of my setup, or at worst, because my form breaks down and I let my shoulders roll forward.

If thats what you’re talking about, nothing to worry about as long as your form is good.

I get them every time I work out my chest. I would assume most people do.

“Bench hickeys”… thats exactly what they are!

Cheers for the feed back.

They dont hurt at all and they dont get in the way of my next workout… so I guess I’ll just let them be.

bench hickeys, it’s no big deal, I also get them bad on my shoulders from the pads of the standing calf raise machine.