Bruised Rib from Lifting Belt?

Ok, I’m doing the Smolov Jr. squat routine and I think that I might have bruised something with my lifting belt on squats. I have a pain just below/on my bottom left rib when I move in certain ways, well a lot of ways really. Anyone experience this, and could it be something serious?

I’ve bruised ribs with my belt.

Yes, it could be something serious.

It probably isn’t.

I’m pretty sure it isn’t, but one wants to be sure. Anything I could do to check it out?

If you can breathe without pain, you’re fine.

If you get sharp stabbing pains, it’s probably broken or cracked.

Then I guess I’m fine. Thanks Haley.
On with the squatting.

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:
Then I guess I’m fine. Thanks Haley.
On with the squatting.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say that now… try it out and see, but if it’s hurting you’ll probably have to stop.

This is coming from someone who got half way thru the smolov base cycle and then decided to break their rib off a 13mm Inzer lever belt!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I wouldn’t say that now… try it out and see, but if it’s hurting you’ll probably have to stop.

This is coming from someone who got half way thru the smolov base cycle and then decided to break their rib off a 13mm Inzer lever belt![/quote]

That sounds bad. How long did it take you to recover from that?
I really want to complete this cycle though, so I’m gonna see how my rib feels come friday when it’s again time to squat. Hopefully, I’ll be fine.

You could always try using a softer belt like this:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=299&m=PD&pid=2480

According to Marc it can be used for Squats and Deadlifts.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=91246&tid=

Just a suggestion. Best of Luck!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Gaius Octavius wrote:
Then I guess I’m fine. Thanks Haley.
On with the squatting.

I wouldn’t say that now… try it out and see, but if it’s hurting you’ll probably have to stop.

This is coming from someone who got half way thru the smolov base cycle and then decided to break their rib off a 13mm Inzer lever belt![/quote]

You let a friggin broken rib keep you from finishing Smolov?

Rub some Guinness on it and get back under the bar, sheesh. :wink:

[quote]Modi wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Gaius Octavius wrote:
Then I guess I’m fine. Thanks Haley.
On with the squatting.

I wouldn’t say that now… try it out and see, but if it’s hurting you’ll probably have to stop.

This is coming from someone who got half way thru the smolov base cycle and then decided to break their rib off a 13mm Inzer lever belt!

You let a friggin broken rib keep you from finishing Smolov?

Rub some Guinness on it and get back under the bar, sheesh. ;)[/quote]

Ya no doubt eh.

Apparently they breed them pretty fragile over there in Ayerlind.